AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me the difference in the 1080i60 output of the Toshiba HD-A2 and the 1080p60 output of the HD-XA2? I'm laking the technical knowledge of how the 1080p24 film is "converted" to 1080i60 for the HD-A2 and 1080p60 for the HD-AX2. I 'm just trying to educate myself on what processing of the 1080p24 happens before it gets to my HL-S6187W 1080p TV. Thanks.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Just curious if you guys had an A2 and upgraded to a XA2 if you had noticed a signifigant difference between the the 1080i vs 1080p output? I have a 50" SXRD Sony and was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade. I have heard that it makes no difference at all, but what is your experience? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I can't tell a difference. with 1080p 24f material (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs) you will not notice one ounce of difference on your set unless your tv has a really really crappy deinterlacer. the whole 1080i vs. 1080 stuff that's been going on between HD DVD and Blu Ray is nothing but marketing propaganda.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/0

I can't tell a difference. with 1080p 24f material (HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs) you will not notice one ounce of difference on your set unless your tv has a really really crappy deinterlacer. the whole 1080i vs. 1080 stuff that's been going on between HD DVD and Blu Ray is nothing but marketing propaganda.

Great Job wormraper...... you summed up in 3 sentences (of truth) what most people can't see(lack of common sense) or want to hear.

Propaganda and Competition sweet words of wisdom.....Personally I think you will be targeted for assignation and you will die a painful blue laser death...Man who do you think you are out hear spreading the truth like that...... LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
1080i is sharper by a little. 1080p is smoother. I have a 1080P SXRD XBR2 70" - My XA1 was sharper than my XA2 but when I switched my XA2 to 1080i it was the same as the XA1. I now prefer the smoother image of the XA2 in 1080p after a few days of watching movies. The difference is SLIGHT, and most would not notice it.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
People, remember you are mixing two things:

1080p vs. 1080i TRANSMISSION

1080p vs. 1080i DISPLAY

ALL DIGITAL 1080 SETS ARE 1080P (even if they can only accept a 1080i signal!!!!!)

The only question is which has a better deinterlacer, your SET or your SOURCE!!!

For most, this will be your SET (as it is more directly coupled with the display). However, if you have an external SCALER/DEINTERLACER or a very HIGH-QUALITY SOURCE this may be different. However, no matter what, barring errors in the deinterlacing process, there should be minimal to no difference (this is not a hard computational task).

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I feel that there is no difference between 1080p/60 and 1080i/60 at all.

Now if you want to throw in 1080i/60 and 1080p/24 I do feel there is a difference. Only on any kind of movement on your display. The 24fps is much smoother and clearer to me. Background especially. Of course you have to have a display that will take the 24hz signal and display it in a multiple of 24hz. Not a lot of displays do this at the moment.

I would be interested in the XA2 to replace my HD-D1 if the XA2 didn't go from 24hz-60hz and back to 24hz thing. I want the 24fps straight off the disc with no processing.

INCA, does your SXRD accept and display a 24hz signal? If so it might nice to check it out yourself.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Then I would say on your display that you should see no difference at all between 1080i and 1080p sources.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From furthur reading it seems like the 1080p24 film is interlaced and the 3:2 pulldown is applied so that the player outputs 1080i60. I guess the only difference between 1080p and1080i output is whether the inverse telecine is performed in the player or the TV. Is this correct? Also, why does the player interlace the souce to begin with? Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

Just curious if you guys had an A2 and upgraded to a XA2 if you had noticed a signifigant difference between the the 1080i vs 1080p output? I have a 50" SXRD Sony and was wondering if it would be worth the upgrade. I have heard that it makes no difference at all, but what is your experience? Thanks in advance.

I upgraded from an A2 to an XA2 after having the A2 for about a week. I agree with the comments here regarding how 1080i seemed sharper and 1080p was smoother. The main reason why i upgraded though is not for "p" but it was for the superior upconverting abilities of the XA2 for my SD DVDs.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by checklst /forum/post/0

Oh my GOD! an entire thread so far of people who "GET IT" I think this thread should be renamed.............or banned!!!!!

Impressive....

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by torid110 /forum/post/0

I upgraded from an A2 to an XA2 after having the A2 for about a week. I agree with the comments here regarding how 1080i seemed sharper and 1080p was smoother. The main reason why i upgraded though is not for "p" but it was for the superior upconverting abilities of the XA2 for my SD DVDs.

Considering that the A2 is superior to most other upconverters on the market, your telling me that the XA2 is "Superior" to that, or just a little bit better?

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inca /forum/post/0

Considering that the A2 is superior to most other upconverters on the market, your telling me that the XA2 is "Superior" to that, or just a little bit better?

While i did not do an A/B test (needed to pull the switch-a-roo, before my wife found both players setup), i went with the XA2 based on the review in this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=782887 which extolled the virtues of the Silicon Optix Reon. I did further research and found the same chip is used in the Denon 2930 upconverting DVD player and after reading reviews on that, i was sold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.