AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright.. from what I hear they are already broadcasting 1080p in Japan, or at least readying to. Right now we wait for HD2 DLPs, but I question how long the actual wait for a native 1080p projector will be? At least in the 5-10k range. Are they already out and am I missing them?

I'm not one to procrastinate into the future, but I have figured I should set my entry point into HT at the highest HT signal. I can wait that long if it will be a few more years, since I still need to put together my audio system (thank god that doesnt change too radically through time :)). I'm just saving up now, and am curious as to what I'll be saving up for.

I know it's a loose time with no hddvd standard yet, not to mention a questionable future for the current hdtv standard. But since I won't live for ever (I'm already 18 :p), and since I believe 1920x1080 is plenty detail for my personal cinema (though I am aware of film's capabilties in terms of resolution, but hey that's a 100' screen), what exactly am I waiting for?

I guess it would just be nice to have something as a goal.

Oh also, OLED is slowly growing, (though we might see sony replace their Direct Views, Plasmas, and LCDS with it before 2004), does anyone know if it's capable of being implemented into a projector? I figure it has the brightness, but I know about the heat problems and blue bleeding etc.

Thanks,

Cyphatic

P.S. I'm not sure about everything so dont take me seriously about anything :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
My understanding of seeing native 1920x1080 projectors is way off.. I think Ti has the chips but feels there isnt a demand for it. I think it will be a while before we see one in the 5-10k range if and when they come out.. As for right now just go with a 720p native projector.. I think you will find that plenty stunning image quality wise..

Chris

·
Registered
950 Posts
At the end of June, the JVC 9000 HD PVR should be comming to market. Dual tuners, 80/120 gig hard drive. Works with E*. If you want ot start your HD viewing, you may want to look into this new toy.

The 921 HD PVR from E* is not scheduled to be here 'til end of year, first quarter of next year.

Cheers, VB

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I recall reading somewhere on this forum that a manufacturer (Epson?) should be producing 1920x1080 LCD panels within the next year.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
1920X1080 Projektors are comming soon!!!

many ask WHEN we will see projektors in the 1920x1080 resolution.2 or 3 years from now i read most of the time.

i believe till the end of this year or beginning next year.

see this link.

http://www.loehneysen.de/#149

for those who can not read germany and i believe thats the majority here epson told that it will be out before this finacial year ends and this is march 2003.

ok its only a plan but i have many more informations about that but i can not write about it.all that makes me sure that epson is more or less on time.

w.mayer

btw:i heare a rumer that sony also working on it.

but we all can have a projector TODAY A 9"CRT!!! shows all the 1920X1080i or also 1080P.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For clearing everything up. Yes, it's just that I know for the next half decade I'm only going to be getting one video solution, so I figure it would be better to hold out a year or two for something that would really satisfy my needs. Ill check out the JVC. Thanks.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have OrganicLED in my phone (Motorola), and it's stunning. I believe this technology was borrowed from the firefly.

I do not see how it could work in a projector, but then again, I never would have believed LCOS would work.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I am pretty sure there are no 1080p broadcasts in Japan; as far as I can tell everything is 1080i. I read recently that there is a strong likelihood that the scheduled 2003 rollout for OTA HDTV will not happen for most of the areas initially planned for.

Milton Henry
[email protected]

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Milton,

the point is that with proper 3-2 pulldown all 1080I material made from "film" sources can become instant 1080P. In that sense, there's a TON of 1080P material out there ready for viewing...given the proper playback hardware to take full advantage.

·
Registered
221 Posts
David

My point was that HDTV broadcasts in Japan are mostly the same as HDTV broadcasts in the US i.e. 1080i; I am well aware that 1080p24 should be relatively simply to produce from film sourced 1080i and I look forward to the day when I can view it in my home theater. Since he did not specify a frame rate behind the 1080p he could very well have been saying that Japan is broadcasting 1080p60. I would love to use an HTPC to "line double" video source 1080i (like the Mariner's home games that are broadcast here in HDTV) but I have read that the PCI bus doesn't have enough bandwidth even if the processor and software are up to the task; there used to be talk about the possibility of having an HDTV tuner card communicate directly with the graphics/video card via a VIP 2.0 connection but it looks as if most of the industry has given up on that idea since no HDTV tuner card that I can find has a VIP 2.0 port (many of them have the VIP 1.1 port) and the only graphics/video card that MIGHT have a working VIP 2.0 port is the upcoming Matrox.

Milton

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.