Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....

1080P24 is a ATSC standard that ALL ATSC compliant HDTV's should support.

What happens if you actually feed a RF ATSC compliant 1080P24 channel into a rear screen ???

It obviously does not do 24.

Does anyone check this on TV's ?

With HD DVD's looming on the horizon it sure would make lots of sense for the HDMI to offer a 1080P24 format.

Not to mention it would be nice if ATSC broadcaster showed film based material like movies in 1080P24 rather then 1080I.

Anyone know whats up with 1080P24 on consumer TV's ??

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
You raise some good points. Many sets/processors now have reverse telecine for 1080i, extracting the original 24p (for movies) by combining TV fields (half-frames) developed to deliver 24p in interlaced form. The extracted frames must then be displayed at 48, 72, etc. fps to avoid flicker. Understand some of the high-end FPs also accept 24psf (segmented frame) signals from Microsoft's 'HD' DVDs but haven't seen other consumer sources for 24p video without pulldown. -- John

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
It somewhat annoys me that displays have a "refresh rate" at all. With many modern fixed pixel displays it seems that with an all digital path each frame could have a time stamp and be displayed when it was time, without worrying about the time being a multiple of anything. Each frame would stay on the screen until it was time for the next one. Judder would be a legacy of CRT's.

- Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.