Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can't beat this...

http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=op:mfe2&sku=3334032

And if you are in a state that doesn't have sales tax it will be $112 to your door.

I bought two on-line and then bought two locally. Should be enough space for a lot of recording.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I bought three at Fry's over the weekend. I had bought the very same drive a week ago at $149; they happily refunded the difference when I presented the receipt. These drives are quiet, cool, and spacious...perfect for HD archiving. Ahh, Fry's.

-Dylan

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
5400rpm = fine for vid cap..............

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trik
5400 rpm :(

I'm looking for a phat drive @ 7200 rpm for vid cap
I use a 120MB 5400 RPM drive with MyHD card and playing VOBs with WinDVD 4 and PowerDVD XP Deluxe and it works fine. 7200 RPMs main advantage is for boot up speed but for almost all data operation (including HD video capture and playback) 5400 RPM will work fine.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm not really familiar with myhd...

Is that a hardware capture card?

I do all my capture with PCI TV cards and various software cap programs, like virtual dub, AVI_IO or PVR's like PowerVCR.

Everything I've read says higher rpm's = less dropped frames...

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Trik
I'm not really familiar with myhd...

Is that a hardware capture card?

I do all my capture with PCI TV cards and various software cap programs, like virtual dub, AVI_IO or PVR's like PowerVCR.

Everything I've read says higher rpm's = less dropped frames...
MyHD is a HDTV recording card like HiPix. If a 5400 RPM HD can record and playback full stream HDTV video (1080i or 720p) with no dropped frames then surly it can handle any standard lower resolution and frame rate video.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Right now I have a 80 gig 7200 RPM HDD that fills up all the time with my home videos. Is 5400 RPM is good enough for DV Video transfer from my camcorder?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking for a phat drive @ 7200 rpm for vid cap
Trik, if spindle speed actually told you any information about a drive's performance, marketers wouldn't print it on the box.

Spindle speed is an not an reliable indicator of an individual disk's transfer rates. Many 5400rpm drives out there are quite sufficient for HD video recording/streaming and the advantages of a 5400rpm drive in an htpc make some of them attractive choices. In fact, many 5400rpm drives have higher transfer rates than 7200rpm drives of the same generation.

The best way to improve your drive performance is to thoroughly understand how drives are used.
StorageReview has many excellent essays to get you started in this direction. Tailoring your drive setup to your specific needs and usage patterns will manifold your performance over simply buying the boxes with the biggest numbers.

Anyone interested in the outpost deal should check this drive's review . The 80gig (2 platter) version was reviewed, but the 120gig (3 platter) version sold at outpost will have almost identical performance characteristics.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EricN,

That review confirms that you can't beat this deal.

The best 120GB drive on the market the Western Digital 8MB buffered 7200RPM was only about 25% faster than the 80GB drive you just pointed to.

The only real complaint I can have is sound level. The much slower Seagate drive does beat it. That's not to say the drive is loud just that only the most picky out there will find that it doesn't suit their needs in that one regard.

You can't beat this deal and if you need to go faster RAID the drives. Western Digital RAID very well from my understanding.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok, now I'm interested. I believe all the IDE connections on my CUSL2-C mobo are being used, so what should I do to add this new drive? One IDE slot is used for the cd-rom and dvd-rom, the other slot is for my 2 existing harddrives. I think my Enermax 350 watt PS can handle another drive. Also, there should be plenty of room in the Hydraulic Mid Tower case for at least 1 more drive.

I am not really interested in setting up a RAID at this time. I will only use this new drive for data storage.

Thanks for any guidance,

slobbie

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hmmm, I think I have 1 remaining PCI slot. Are there performance issues using these controller cards that I should worry about? The more expensive one is only $18, but still probably unnecessary.

Thanks for the speedy reply, boykster!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hmmm...I dunno about performance issues....

I'm currently using 3 (yes 3) of the Ultra66 cards in my linux file server, running software RAID 5. The system is used to store DivX movies, MP3's, etc and stream them across the network to 1-5 clients concurrently. I haven't seen any issues with the cards not performing to spec.

If you're looking for speed, I'd consider the $18 card...but honestly, the difference in performance between ATA66 and ATA100 is pretty small.

Cheers!

Rich

PS...I might have to pick up a couple of these drives when I'm in the bay area tomorrow...need...more....storage....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, even if its not fast enough for analog capture its still a phat drive at a great price.

I ordered one.

So if it doesn't cut it as a cap drive I can move everything to it from my 7200 rpm drives and use them for capture...

EDIT:

BTW, Thanks to MrWigggles for the heads up on this deal and thanks to all for the input :D

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I ordered six of these babies over the weekend (free shipping with an order over $500). I intend to build a media server with these six drives with a software RAID 5 array under Windows 2000 server. I will use my present HTPC motherboard (Abit BE-6-II PIII 800mhz) which has 4 IDE channels for up to 8 IDE drives. This motherboard has two standard IDE channels plus two ATA-66 Highpoint IDE channels. I am sure there are other motherboards like this. I will use the two remaining IDE drives for the CD drive and a single boot drive.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Before rushing out to buy a Promise RAID card I would look at 3ware's RAID cards. You can check out an in depth comparison of the 3ware Escalade 6400 vs. the Promise SuperTrak 100 RAID cards.

There are other RAID reviews available on the site. You'll have to do a search for the review I'm speaking of. It's entitled: Promise SuperTrak 100 vs. 3Ware Escalade 6400. If you search for that article you won't find it.

Instead, do a search for: 3ware or Escalade 6400. That should yield you some good info.

Good Luck,

Joe

·
Registered
669 Posts
the deal on the hard drive is dead, i ordered a second one and they emailed me and canceled it, i called them and they said their supplier wont be filling any more orders. bummer.

if anyone knows any other deals on hard drives i think we'd all like to hear about it :)

I'd also like to hear what people think about ide raid cards.

Thanks

Statix

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi

i ordered 2 of them yesterday . 2day delivery.

i called today to check on the order she said this item is in back order setuation,

what sense of having it 2ND day deliver if its gonna be late. i doubt if they gonna even ship it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
yeah, they said they didn't know when it they would get more in stock,

on another forum someone said they were told 2-3 weeks. It would

be nice to see it again, it was a really nice deal.

does anyone have experience with any of the ide raid cards?

i was looking at the 3ware and the promise cards.

the 3ware are more expensive, but look nicer :)

the feature i liked about the promise card was you could

add up to 128 megs of ram on the card its self. Does this make

a big difference?

Thanks,

Statix

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.