AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Tux, Erich, et All,

I finally completed a build of one 1099 last night. (The other tower cabinet & crossover are ready - just needs mounting). I have a few questions regarding my first impressions.

- I played some songs this A.M and the initial impression is that the sound is VERY clear - maybe even a bit TOO bright. Is this to be expected? The other tower is still my old Klipsch F10, so I can easily contrast the two and see that the 1099 is definitely bright.

I wonder if this could be due to a solder job that I had to do within the compression driver last night.
I accidentally broke of the gnd lead on the compression driver while trying to crimp a wire to it. So I opened the driver and soldered a 18 gauge lead directly onto the think metal strip/lead inside the compression driver. Could this cause the extra brightness?

Also, I have to put my ear next to the woofers and mids to tell that there is sound coming from them, but the sound coming from the waveguide is very "apparent"

Any ideas if I missed up the crossover? or if the solder work described above is to blame? Any other ideas on what to look for?

I'll calibrate the system using audessey and give it another try later tonight, In the meantime any inputs are most welcome.

Thanks
AJ

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Tux, Erich, et All,

I finally completed a build of one 1099 last night. (The other tower cabinet & crossover are ready - just needs mounting). I have a few questions regarding my first impressions.

- I played some songs this A.M and the initial impression is that the sound is VERY clear - maybe even a bit TOO bright. Is this to be expected? The other tower is still my old Klipsch F10, so I can easily contrast the two and see that the 1099 is definitely bright.

I wonder if this could be due to a solder job that I had to do within the compression driver last night.
I accidentally broke of the gnd lead on the compression driver while trying to crimp a wire to it. So I opened the driver and soldered a 18 gauge lead directly onto the think metal strip/lead inside the compression driver. Could this cause the extra brightness?

Also, I have to put my ear next to the woofers and mids to tell that there is sound coming from them, but the sound coming from the waveguide is very "apparent"

Any ideas if I missed up the crossover? or if the solder work described above is to blame? Any other ideas on what to look for?

I'll calibrate the system using audessey and give it another try later tonight, In the meantime any inputs are most welcome.

Thanks
AJ

Did you use dtsdig's, Matt's, or a one-off layout?

If you can post some close-up pics of the top and bottom of your completed crossover, I'm sure some folks here can review and let you know if there are any glaring issues...

-Philip-

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Most of the 1099 reviews say clear, forward sound, which means a tiny bit bright. Try playing different tones like 80 hz, 400 hz, 1000 hz to make sure they have fairly similar loudness levels, if you don't have a microphone to measure.

Another thing is the woofers will get a bit looser as they break in so it will get slightly better bass over time

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can barely hear anything coming from the woofers or mids, you probably have something hooked up wrong on the crossover.
Erich, Philip,

I did check the Xover several times and it looked fine, but i'd appreciate a second set of eyes reviewing it. I'll post a pic of the (second) crossover later tonight for your review. I'd hate to unscrew all the drivers from the cabinet to get to the xover thats already installed.

Could the reason I "percieve" the the woofers/mids to be low be due to how lower freq is not as audible as the higher notes in general?

Could you recommend some software that I could use (maybe in conjunction with Audessey MultiEQ on my reciever) to check the sound profile and take away any potential subjectivity out of the equation?

Thanks
AJ

·
Registered
256 Posts
How much of an angle do you have on them? Pointing straight at you, crossing in front of you, or crossing behind you?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Some have found the speaker a 'tad' to bright. I have provided a modification for people who fall into this category. But its in the 1db range. If you're finding it over wheeling something could be off. Also, I'm not sure what you did to the CD, have a picture of that? Definitely post your XO pic if possible.

As for the sound from the woofer and mids, the mids have a very small bandwidth and the woofers play low and won't be as noticeable as a high frequency driver when close up. I'd check that the levels are even, some other way like REW.

EDIT - Based on post #40, sounds like there's a XO issue.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that the polarity on both mids should be reversed. Could you have wired them up normally. If so, could this be a potential cause for low level midrange?

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
One man's bright is another man's perfect. I find the tempest sound boring, others love it.
This. Most males 30+ enjoy a "bright" speaker in AB comparison. Harman has a white paper on it. They tested all sorts of things and how humans judge sound.

I think the ones that like a bright speaker are the ones that have some top end roll off. That's me. But for younger women and children that can be harsh and fatiguing. That's why you set up and calibrate with a mic, then make adjustments from baseline to taste.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Erich, Philip,

I did check the Xover several times and it looked fine, but i'd appreciate a second set of eyes reviewing it. I'll post a pic of the (second) crossover later tonight for your review. I'd hate to unscrew all the drivers from the cabinet to get to the xover thats already installed.

Could the reason I "percieve" the the woofers/mids to be low be due to how lower freq is not as audible as the higher notes in general?

Could you recommend some software that I could use (maybe in conjunction with Audessey MultiEQ on my reciever) to check the sound profile and take away any potential subjectivity out of the equation?

Thanks
AJ
Definitely get some close-up pics of the top and the bottom posted and oriented in a way that one of us will be able to follow. We should be able to help you out. The solder job on the compression driver would not be the cause; a connection is a connection so long as the voice coil wasn't disturbed/overheated/distorted in any way. Do you have the crossover components all on one board like most of us? You mentioned having to remove "all the drivers" to get the crossover out. Most of us have the single board mounted in the CD/mids chamber. For me, I would only have to remove the SEOS to remove my crossover. Please clarify, and we can probably help you out.

Correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that the polarity on both mids should be reversed. Could you have wired them up normally. If so, could this be a potential cause for low level midrange?
This is a great question to put out there. +1

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Firstly, thanks to all for your replies.

I assembled the other tower as well last night, and set them both up for a listen this AM.
Having spend some more time on these, I can tell now that all drivers are working on both towers just that the low notes are not as noticeable as the high notes coming from the tweeter.

Some setup comments:
- I have them at an angle - pointing just behind me
- I set xover freq at 80Hz for these
- Currently they are setup pretty close to the walls. Almost touching the walls. I am pressed for space - hence do not have much leeway to move them around

I am in idiot in that I took pictures of crossover but accidentally deleted them after mounting the drivers. But I did do one MORE check on the xOVER and it looked good.
(I have some experience with circuit design so I am sure the xover is done properly)

Reading other posts on this forum tells me that there are others who found the 1099's a "tad too bright" as well. I did turn down the equalizer in my amp for 1K to 6K freq down by ~3dB.
Tux, Do you recommend I still connect the 10K resistor in parallel?

Do you guys think the amount of damping material used in the cabs could have an affect on the brightness of the sound either way? I have ~1lb of polyfill in each "compartment" of each tower.

Some pics of my cabinet before mounting drivers are attached.. these are the only ones the I did not accidentally delete

Attachments

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
It's personal preference. If you find them too hot eq 3 to 6k down 2 to 3 dbs. A lot depends upon your room. If your listening in the room in your picture then hardwood floors will make it even brighter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OT, but holy moly that veneer is pretty. What kind is it?

The front baffle is spray painted with black metallic Spray Can (rustoleum)
The veneer is from Wilsonart - Called Asian art:
http://www.wilsonart.com/commercial/laminates/detail?sku=7949

Bought online from home depot and got shipped to store for free..($79 for 4x8 sheet)
Cutting them to size was a royal PITA though....and took a day+

But for a beginner woodworker esp. when it comes to laminate - I am happy with the results. :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
If I recall correctly, Dennis Erskine during his interview talked about the room impact and that can be the dominant piece of what you are hearing.

To Chalugadp's point, with your floor you will need to expect some frequencies to be hot. Every speaker here will have that issue for the most part.

What I've come to accept is that there are some cool speakers here but if your room is not treated and your speaker placement is not ideal you will have issues. No matter your choice in speaker you are going to have issues that you'll need to mitigate

I really like my Tempests, and others like the Elusive 1099's and others the JTR's or Danley's, etc. All of them excellent speakers. In my opinion: There is a formula something like X% Speaker + Y% Room treatment / dimensions + Z% Speaker placement location + A% Electronic EQ + B% listening position = Sound quality for the listener.

What those % are I don't know......what is true though is that some speakers (highly directive) like the ones you have (and I have) make other contributors less impactful. I believe this is why Dennis picks highly directive well known (understood polar and other responses) speakers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That stuff looks awesome. Wait, so it's real wood veneer that's pre-finished? Or is it an artificial laminate? Either way, I love it. I need to learn cabinet finishing like this one day.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts