AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built 3 1099s last year for my family room.... horizontal center.

Haven't used them there due to a few reasons.

But anyway they are going behind an AT screen in a to be built dedicated HT.

So I want to redo the center to match the L & R.

Is there an easy way to modify an existing horizontal to a vertical?

I was thinking of doubling the baffle then cutting out the areas in the horizontal baffle to fit. That may change the sounds of it?

Or just build a whole new cabinet I guess

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect that if you just put the center on tall stands to get the waveguide height to match the others, you'll never hear the difference.
Was thinking that.... will probably test that out before I put any effort into it. thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I suggest raising it since it's behind a screen. If you don't want to do that then I'd look into taking apart glued wood and cut the center piece out and rotate it 90 degrees and glue back.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Flush trim bit should ride on the internal divider panels and the inside of the top and bottom panel. That would leave you with a nice hole to work with. Then attach blocks inside to attach the new section.

The vertical arrangement is superior to the horizontal so it would be worth the trouble.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Carefully plunge cut into the center section along the side so you cut through flush with the side. Grind the teeth off the bottom half of the blade and use that to cut flush with the sides and divider boards. Glue some strips of 1/2" stock to the inside of the chamber flush with the back of the baffle. Now just rotate the center section 90 deg and glue it back to the 1/2" strips. I believe the internal dimensions of each section is 11"x11", if so, this will work.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carefully plunge cut into the center section along the side so you cut through flush with the side. Grind the teeth off the bottom half of the blade and use that to cut flush with the sides and divider boards. Glue some strips of 1/2" stock to the inside of the chamber flush with the back of the baffle. Now just rotate the center section 90 deg and glue it back to the 1/2" strips. I believe the internal dimensions of each section is 11"x11", if so, this will work.
Sounds like a lot of work. I think starting over would be easier.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sounds like a lot of work. I think starting over would be easier.

You could just order a vertical baffle from Erich at the DIY sound group. Cut the old baffle off your enclosure and just glue on the new baffle. Then finish it to match whatever finish you have on your speakers.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What if I just left it as a horizontal speaker but put it on a vertical stand? So the waveguide would be left or right of the mids instead of on top of them...would it matter?

·
Registered
466 Posts
What if I just left it as a horizontal speaker but put it on a vertical stand? So the waveguide would be left or right of the mids instead of on top of them...would it matter?

Yes it would matter greatly in regards to the waveguide now being vertical instead of it’s intended purpose of being horizontal for better dispersion of the frequencies from the compression driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts