AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to come across 10bit encodes more and more. Are there any hardware players out there that support the format? (I feel like I just wasted $50 on another media player). I guess my new RT1055 based player won't be able to handle 10bit encoded files even with a firmware update?

How about the forthcoming Android based players? Any possibility of 10bit support there?

·
Registered
858 Posts
No there aren't, 10-bit encodes are incompatible with hardware acceleration.

Frankly the whole thing is a major waste of time for a fractional increase in compression that inconveniences millions of hardware players. Thankfully some have already seen the light and XBMC, Boxee, Plex, Handbrake and more have all said no to 10-bit so the best thing that can happen is no one uses it and it will fade away.

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They can say no, but it's already being used for anime and looks like it's going to be catching on for that format. Being that I watch a lot of anime it would be useful for me for a device to support it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you watch a lot of anime just don't use 10-bit x264 when you are ripping/encoding your legally purchased DVDs or Blurays.

I don't see how it could be an issue, if your hardware is not compatible then don't use it.

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elario /forum/post/20826009

If you watch a lot of anime just don't use 10-bit x264 when you are ripping/encoding your legally purchased DVDs or Blurays.

I don't see how it could be an issue, if your hardware is not compatible then don't use it.

There is big legit, unlicensed community sharing anime out there. It's not all licensed material. I knew someone was going to respond in this way. If I was only interested in my own encodes, obviously it wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts

Quote:
There is big legit, unlicensed community sharing anime out there. It's not all licensed material. I knew someone was going to respond in this way. If I was only interested in my own encodes, obviously it wouldn't be an issue.

Then I guess the obvious answer would be to ask them what they play them on....

·
Registered
19,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy /forum/post/20826752

Then I guess the obvious answer would be to ask them what they play them on....

I already know the answer- none of the encoders are interested in standalone hardware playback. They all use PCs for the most part, if they didn't they wouldn't use it.

That said it doesn't stop someone from supporting it in the future. It exists, so if 10bit encodes grow in popularity I'm sure some hardware platform will support it. Though I doubt that will be any time soon.

Edit- I sent an email to Kaiboer, the manufacturer of the H1055 I purchased and they responded quickly that it does indeed support 10bit encoded MKVs. Hmm. This is news to me. I wouldn't think a Realtek 1055 based player would handle it. OK, I'll have to try it out (when it arrives) with a few 10bit encodes (including my own) and see if it works. My expectations are fairly low- but if it does work with 10bit encodes then the 1185 based players should handle them too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.