AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #143 (Edited)
Surrounds/ceiling: 2400
Subs: 2800

Leaves you with 5200-7200 for LRC and AVR, which is totally do-able.

However, you could go with RSL's for ceiling and JBL's for surrounds which would be 1700 for surrounds ceiling or go all 8 RSL's for 1000.

All good options. When I was testing the RSL's compared to the SCS8's the SCS8's had 8-10 more db's of output, but would you use that? Maybe buy 2/4 of the RSL's first and see what you think and go from there?
Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because :) )......:eek: But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... ;) huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...

·
Registered
1,409 Posts

However, you could go with RSL's for ceiling and JBL's for surrounds which would be 1700 for surrounds ceiling or go all 8 RSL's for 1000.

All good options. When I was testing the RSL's compared to the SCS8's the SCS8's had 8-10 more db's of output, but would you use that? Maybe buy 2/4 of the RSL's first and see what you think and go from there?
Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif )....../forum/images/smilies/eek.gif But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
Guthrie Govan.

That’s all...carry on. 🙂

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
Volts:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/volt.html

You can get the crossovers built for you; gluing flat packs together is easy peasy.
Volts are great, I use to own Volt 10's. crg are you open to DIY (or AIY - assemble yourself like the volts)? If so this opens all kinds of options and we should have talked you into doing that with your subs!! :)

Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because :) )......:eek: But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... ;) huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
Nice! I enjoy a wide variety too, but my default/go to is still hard rock and metal, and lately the more obscure the better.... I say that (obscure) but this week I have been on a Sepultura Arise album kick.

Guthrie Govan.

That’s all...carry on. 🙂
Yes!! I'm embarrased to say I only know him from the Hans Zimmer live Blu Ray, but it is incredible as I'm sure you know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #146

Good point!! BTW as a fellow Metal-Head, my progression was interesting...from a Jazz Piano background (started with 7 years of conservatory) to the day I first heard Eruption to Prog metal to becoming a full blown metal-head, to running a glam-rock/metal group in college, wife, then kids, etc....I now listen to everything....sad that it took me 30+ years from the first time I sat in front of a piano to truly appreciate a huge variety of genres...I'm now back on the Jazz mode, but I play guitar on weekends with a blues group (using my JEM77FP just because /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif )....../forum/images/smilies/eek.gif But every now and then I put my old Angra's Angel Cry CDs on and relax a little... /forum/images/smilies/wink.gif huge fan of musicianship in heavy bands...
Guthrie Govan.

That’s all...carry on. 🙂
👍 beautiful imperfection is a phenomenal song!!! His technique is incredible! He reminds me of a brazilian player called Frank Solari.... also incredible

·
Registered
11,402 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Volts:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-theater-speaker-kits/home-theater-series/volt.html

You can get the crossovers built for you; gluing flat packs together is easy peasy.
Volts are great, I use to own Volt 10's. crg are you open to DIY (or AIY - assemble yourself like the volts)? If so this opens all kinds of options and we should have talked you into doing that with your subs!! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Nice! I enjoy a wide variety too, but my default/go to is still hard rock and metal, and lately the more obscure the better.... I say that (obscure) but this week I have been on a Sepultura Arise album kick.
I saw Max/Igor and cia opening for Ozzy right after the Roots release!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Volts are great, I use to own Volt 10's. crg are you open to DIY (or AIY - assemble yourself like the volts)? If so this opens all kinds of options and we should have talked you into doing that with your subs!! :)

Yes!! I'm embarrased to say I only know him from the Hans Zimmer live Blu Ray, but it is incredible as I'm sure you know.
It's funny you mention the Hans Zimmer Blu Ray. As I started watching it, I'm sitting there racking my brain trying to figure out why the main guitarist looked so familiar. It took me a minute, but I finally realized who it was. Lol. He's an amzaing guitarist.

I was also excited to see the addition of Michael Einziger of Incubus.

As for Sepultura. That's a band that I regret never seeing live. I did however get to see Soulfly at the first Ozzfest. They put on a great show.

Lastly...+1 on the Volts. Still trying to decide if I should go with the 10's, or just do the 8's to go with the 1099's for surround duties.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
👍 beautiful imperfection is a phenomenal song!!! His technique is incredible! He reminds me of a brazilian player called Frank Solari.... also incredible
I'm a huge fan of his. He and Jan Cyrka are two of my favorites in that genre.

The Erotic Cakes album is probably my favorite by Govan. If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend you give it a listen. Waves is an amazing song. :)

[EDIT] I just looked up Frank Solari. He is now a member of my Apple Music library. ;)

Reactions: crgzimbabwe

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #151

I would prefer not to DYI or AYI....I don't have the time....I know it is not a lot...but it is hard to find 2 mins when I'm home with the kids...besides, since I moved in we are in a constant state of "moving in/fixing crap/etc/etc/working in the house...." I don't need one more DYI project right now... :(

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I saw Max/Igor and cia opening for Ozzy right after the Roots release!
Lucky! I assume they still played the hell out of Arise and Chaos AD which are my favorites. Like d-rail I've never seen Sepultura unfortunately.

It's funny you mention the Hans Zimmer Blu Ray. As I started watching it, I'm sitting there racking my brain trying to figure out why the main guitarist looked so familiar. It took me a minute, but I finally realized who it was. Lol. He's an amzaing guitarist.

I was also excited to see the addition of Michael Einziger of Incubus.

As for Sepultura. That's a band that I regret never seeing live. I did however get to see Soulfly at the first Ozzfest. They put on a great show.

Lastly...+1 on the Volts. Still trying to decide if I should go with the 10's, or just do the 8's to go with the 1099's for surround duties.

Was that '98 with Tool and Megadeth? Maybe 99 but I'm pretty sure 98. Great show, I saw it in Kansas City and Soul Fly was great as you say.

I haven't heard the 8's, I bet the price is pretty close so maybe better to just go 10's?

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I would prefer not to DYI or AYI....I don't have the time....I know it is not a lot...but it is hard to find 2 mins when I'm home with the kids...besides, since I moved in we are in a constant state of "moving in/fixing crap/etc/etc/working in the house...." I don't need one more DYI project right now... :(
I completely understand, and don't worry about not going DIY you are going to love those subs.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Lucky! I assume they still played the hell out of Arise and Chaos AD which are my favorites. Like d-rail I've never seen Sepultura unfortunately.

Was that '98 with Tool and Megadeth? Maybe 99 but I'm pretty sure 98. Great show, I saw it in Kansas City and Soul Fly was great as you say.

I haven't heard the 8's, I bet the price is pretty close so maybe better to just go 10's?
I had to look it up, and I was way off. It was actually in 2000 w/Black Label Scociety, Pantera, Disturbed, Incubus, etc..

If I did go with the 10's, it would definitely have to be the angle packs. The standard boxes are pretty deep, and the left rear will be mounted next to the hallway entrance. I'd hate for someone to run into it, as I'm sure that would leave a nice knot on their head. Lol. At least with the angled enclosure I'd be able to mount it a little higher.

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
I had to look it up, and I was way off. It was actually in 2000 w/Black Label Scociety, Pantera, Disturbed, Incubus, etc..

If I did go with the 10's, it would definitely have to be the angle packs. The standard boxes are pretty deep, and the left rear will be mounted next to the hallway entrance. I'd hate for someone to run into it, as I'm sure that would leave a nice knot on their head. Lol. At least with the angled enclosure I'd be able to mount it a little higher.

Not to many shows left by that time for Pantera. :( I also saw them in late 2000 with Morbid Angel.

I forgot about the space issue.. in that case how different can they really sound, especially for surrounds. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Not to many shows left by that time for Pantera. :( I also saw them in late 2000 with Morbid Angel.

I forgot about the space issue.. in that case how different can they really sound, especially for surrounds. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Unfortunately not. That was a shame too.

I was actually lucky enough to meet Dime a couple of times. Being from Texas originally, I went to alot of their shows, dating all the way back to 1987.

My thoughts exactly on the sound difference between the 8's & 10's.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Unfortunately not. That was a shame too.

I was actually lucky enough to meet Dime a couple of times. Being from Texas originally, I went to alot of their shows, dating all the way back to 1987.

My thoughts exactly on the sound difference between the 8's & 10's.

Woah, way back to the Diamond Darrell days.
Oh yeah. Pre-Phil even.

·
Banned
176 Posts
A lesson I learned is speakers that are fantastic for music don't work so well for home theater. So if there's anyway you can figure out how to listen to speakers you're considering in a movie theater environment go out of your way to make it happen. Your room is large by most so that's why I'd put a little more money towards subs in the following example budget:

Receiver - $2-3K, Yamaha or Anthem (could be receiver plus 3-5 channel amp or just receiver) lots of people love Denon but they run hot, as in to the touch.
LCR - $2-3K, really want to listen to whatever you're selecting, I have Paradigm for my dedicated theater and don't like them, but they fill my soul for music, I'm going to listen to PSA 210's soon and maybe buy them, and as much as I'm not into DIY speakers I heard DIY 1099s and they're killer for home theater, unbelievable actually. High sensitivity speakers seem ideal for home theater.
Surrounds - Not sure how important it is to spend money on these, probably get a lot of arguments....
Sub(s) - $3-4K, 18" subs and over 1000 watts RMS for your room, JTR, Seaton Sound, Deep Sea Sound, Rythmik.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
A lesson I learned is speakers that are fantastic for music don't work so well for home theater. So if there's anyway you can figure out how to listen to speakers you're considering in a movie theater environment go out of your way to make it happen. Your room is large by most so that's why I'd put a little more money towards subs in the following example budget:

Receiver - $2-3K, Yamaha or Anthem (could be receiver plus 3-5 channel amp or just receiver) lots of people love Denon but they run hot, as in to the touch.
LCR - $2-3K, really want to listen to whatever you're selecting, I have Paradigm for my dedicated theater and don't like them, but they fill my soul for music, I'm going to listen to PSA 210's soon and maybe buy them, and as much as I'm not into DIY speakers I heard DIY 1099s and they're killer for home theater, unbelievable actually. High sensitivity speakers seem ideal for home theater.
Surrounds - Not sure how important it is to spend money on these, probably get a lot of arguments....
Sub(s) - $3-4K, 18" subs and over 1000 watts RMS for your room, JTR, Seaton Sound, Deep Sea Sound, Rythmik.
Thank you Greg. Which Paradigm model do you have for LCR? I would love to demo the PSA 210Ts... I see they have a 60 day policy, but if I do that with 3 or 4 sets, it will end up costing me a ton in shipping these back.....

141 - 160 of 197 Posts