AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been considering replacing my 5 year old rear projection HDTV with a new plasma display. A vendor is offering me the 63" Samsung HPL-6315 for $10K. I've seen it in person with a 480P feed. Looked very good to me at the time. Anyone have an opinion if this is a good deal for the money?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
That is not the current model. I have the current model 63, and it is great. I have not seen the one you reference though. I seem to recall that it is built on another company's glass, though I can be sure. BUT, I do also have a SPL4225 plasma, and it has a great picture quality as well. It would seem that from a model number perspective, they are of the same generation, so maybe similar technology.

I am sure you are getting such a good deal on the old one because the new 63 is about to hit the stores, and the dealer wants to move the old ones in prep for it. I would tell you that if you saw it and was happy with it, then $10k for a 63 inch plasma is a pretty good deal. I figure the new 63s should have price stabilization around $16k when available everywhere.

here is the link to the 63 you reference. You can click on thelinks below the set to see the specs and stuff.

Good luck and HTH,

E. J.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
No, I meant the 6339. It is still not widely available in the stores like it will be by Christmas. I hope they aren't already thinking of replacing it. ;)

E. J.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like Samsung actually has 3 versions of the 63" plasma. All are 1366x768, 1.02mm dot pitch displays. The differences seem to be inputs, picture quality and processing

HPL-6315 1500 lumens, 500:1 CR, VGA, no processing mentioned

PPM-63H3 2400 lumens, 1000:1 CR, DVI, DNIE processing

HPN-6339 2400 lumens, 1000:1 CR, DVI/VGA, DNIE processing

So is 900 lumens and an extra 500:1 CR worth $5K? Need to look at some comparable displays I guess.

Darrin

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The 6315 is not so good.

The 6339, I have seen at retail for $15K.

I would not buy a 6315.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.