AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 100% light controlled room 33' x 15.5' with 9' ceilings.  seating will be 3 rows at 17', 21' and 25'. Main use will be movies.  Suggestions on screen gain and projector combinations? I love what i read about the black levels on the JVC DLA 90...  Should I go with a smaller screen to get the best results?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
You might be able to pull it off if you use a High Power screen from Da-lite. There are also constraints to think about with a HP screen. To get maximum gain from the screen you need to have the projector as close to screen center (vertically) as possible. This normally means shelf mounting directly behind viewers. The viewers also need to be as close to screen center as possible to see all that gain. The gain roll off is pretty smooth with those screens but at that size, anyone not sitting in the 20 degree optimum viewing cone is going to be missing out on a lot of brightness. 3D will be terribly dim with the JVC at that size as well.

I think you should go with a smaller screen if you want something like the JVC. If maximum contrast is what you're after there's really nothing else out there that can get you the type of performance their flagship (9xx series) models can give you. The Sony 4K machines are excellent as well and can handle a screen that large but they won't give you the reference contrast and black levels the flagship JVCs can produce. It's a tough call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Seegs,

What is the max screen size do you think I should go with using the JVC DLA 90.  Also what gain on the screen for that size.  I plan on using an AT screen so I can mount the center speaker at the proper hieght.

·
Registered
Quadruple Stack w/ JVC RS2000/N7| Runco Q750 | DPI M-Vision Cine LED | Benq HT9050
5,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman606  /t/1525612/10k-projector-budget-for-159-screen/0_40#post_24564079

Thanks Seegs,

What is the max screen size do you think I should go with using the JVC DLA 90.  Also what gain on the screen for that size.  I plan on using an AT screen so I can mount the center speaker at the proper hieght.

Do you have the X90 yet? If not, you might want to go with the newer X500, even though the X90 is still excellent

1 - 5 of 5 Posts