AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, didn't know where else to put this thread and since I have a JVC 50 on order, I thought I'd put it here. Title says it all. Re-doing my theater and I need about a 30 foot run of HDMI 1.4 cable from AVR to projector. Only ones I've seen are Monster cable. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro
Sorry, didn't know where else to put this thread and since I have a JVC 50 on order, I thought I'd put it here. Title says it all. Re-doing my theater and I need about a 30 foot run of HDMI 1.4 cable from AVR to projector. Only ones I've seen are Monster cable. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Monoprice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have 30 foot high speed. Found a company called Atlona that makes flat 30 ft high speed HDMI cables, anyone heard of them? Seems interesting.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Get a 25 foot Monoprice cable and an extension 5 foot cable. The reason why Monoprice does not sell cables longer than 25 feet is that they can cause problems. Saying that, I bet that the Monoprice 25' cable with an extension will work fine. They seem very cautious with their specs. If you have a problem they will always take it back. The 30' cable on Amazon looks rather thin. I would suggest 22AG. I would also suggest that this be moved to the HDMI one connector world thread.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I also need a longe run about 40ft for HDMI.

I do not understand why two shorter cables are better than one longer cable. Every connector will introduce noise. each connector is at least a -1DB more likely -2 or -3 per side.

So you take a single cable with two connectors at -2 each and you lose -4db not including the length of the run.2 X 2 =4

Two cable have four connector and a connector between them. therefore there is much more lose or degraded single. 5 X 2 = 10 db loss plus the length of the run.

Is this correct?

If not not can someone explain it to me?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Might want to ask in the HDMI forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=168

and/or check out the explanations found at Blue Jeans Cable.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articl...nformation.htm

The BJC Belden Series-1 Bonded-Pair HDMI Cable is commonly recommended as one of the best cables for longer runs. HDMI cables do not have 1.4 ratings; they are either high speed or standard speed, with or without Ethernet.

Even the Belden Series 1, arguably the best available, has a maximum high speed certification of 25 feet. That doesn't mean it won't work in your application.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
There are actually may high speed with auio and internet channel. However, they usually use CAT 5/6 or optical path.

Gefen and others chose the optical path.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dcablelist.jsp?cableType=hdmi

I left my question here since the thread was starting and I also included an answer to the original question.

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro /forum/post/19624495

I talked w/Blue Jeans Cable (an AVS Sponsor) and they directed me towards their Tartan line of HDMI cables (I needed 30' as well). They stated it has worked well for hundreds of customers and it only cost $22/ea. They have a great return policy too. If they don't work for me I'll send 'em back but I'm not expecting any issues....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I needed a 50' run, and talked to the folks at monoprice who suggested they had tested their top silver-coated standard speed cable to over 100 feet with 3D, using pass through connectors and additional cables at both ends. Now you have to take that for what it's worth since I have no proof but his word, but you definitely read many reports of high quality standard speed cable working at long lengths.

Since there isn't much 3D material to speak of that I'm interested in seeing (and have no kids), not sure that I'm going to run out and get the emitter and glasses right away when my RS-40 arrives, so might not be able to confirm it's ability in this respect in the short-term.

·
Banned
3,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjuliani /forum/post/19626313

I needed a 50' run, and talked to the folks at monoprice who suggested they had tested their top silver-coated standard speed cable to over 100 feet with 3D, using pass through connectors and additional cables at both ends. Now you have to take that for what it's worth since I have no proof but his word, but you definitely read many reports of high quality standard speed cable working at long lengths.

Since there isn't much 3D material to speak of that I'm interested in seeing (and have no kids), not sure that I'm going to run out and get the emitter and glasses right away when my RS-40 arrives, so might not be able to confirm it's ability in this respect in the short-term.

Removed by author

·
Premium Member
6,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 /forum/post/19626583

...and I get many reports of standard speed cables not working with 1080p signals even over 10 feet.

A good first step is to read the HDMI Org's FAQ on HDMI cables. The only bit of snake oil out there for HDMI (other than some of the prices) is to label cables by the HDMI revision (such as 1.3). The cables don't know the revision. The only certified types of HDMI cables are Standard Speed (or Category 1) and High Speed (or Category 2). For each of these types there is an option to include the new Ethernet over HDMI capability. So four types of cables cover the whole HDMI realm.

Anyway, Blu-Ray 3D (and 1080p) require High Speed HDMI cables, however some standard speed have been shown to work but, in the case of the standard speed cables, the only way to tell if it will work is to try it. Make sure you get a good return policy.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/faq.aspx#44

There is a section on HDMI in the AVSForum.

And, welcome to the world of HDMI - the least user-friendly cable of them all for anything complicated or even moderately complicated.

Excellent summary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently purchased a Monoprice 30' 24AWG Flat Standard Speed. I'm going from a Sony Blu-Ray player 1080P to 6' of some kind of HDMI cable to a Onkyo receiver to the 30' Monoprice cable to a JVC RS20. Granted it's not 3D, but I've seen no handshake issues or any other types of problems. I figured for the price, I really couldn't lose. I did try it on the floor for a few movies before routing it into a wall, through the crawlspace, and back up another wall.

·
Registered
55 Posts
BTW, the heavy duty component video cable that I had routed through my crawl space for over five years is one I originally got from Blue Jeans. Now it's going to be set up in the exercise area in the basement with my old Sony projector and I fully expect it will continue to work just fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice, especially to Geof for calling BJC. Sorry didn't respond sooner, work you know. I'm going to go with BJC and see how it works. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have been using a 2006 vintage 35 foot HDMI cable for HD-DVD, blu-ray, broadcast HD and Vudu HDX and have never seen an issue. I now wonder how 3D streams will work ... that is when I upgrade my projector ...

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro /forum/post/19624589

Don't have 30 foot high speed. Found a company called Atlona that makes flat 30 ft high speed HDMI cables, anyone heard of them? Seems interesting.

I use a 25 ft flat Atlona high speed cable. Works great in my system.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
If you are running only 1080P you will probably get lucky with a high quality longer length standard speed cable since it uses about 1/2 the bandwidth of 3D or 4Kx2K. If you want 3D or future higher resolutions use a quality Cat5/6 or fibre optic baluns, they are going to be the most reliable. You can use a longer standard cable and use an HDMI restorer but this isn't my first choice, we only use them existing installations would be very cost prohibitive to do the other options. If you really want to future proof and it won't be easy to change cables later I'd run conduit!

Bob

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
You want 10 meters right... so forget all the 25 foot recommendations. Forget about the 25 foot plus extention recommendations. This is insane.

You want a cable that is certified at 10 meters to work with a high speed spec. Ultralink will meet or surpass the spec and their cable goes well beyond 10 meters for the high speed. Note that the infamous monoprice only goes to 25 ft with the rating you require.

The other cable I have used with great success is key digital.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.