AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well so far I'm pretty disapointed with this 10PG. Though I was going to get a sharper PJ with better blacks.

The blacks were better then I expected. During the love scene of "The Lover" which is filmed in a very dark room with only natural light coming in throuh the shutters, I could make out suttle differances in the girls face and body, the differance in the bright and dark areas was more defined. This was more then what I was expecting, very nice.

With this PJ I was able to adjust the colors very easily and get results that I was very happy with.

Seems to be brighter then XG's even though it is rated at 1,000 lumens and the XG's are rated as high as 1,200.

As for sharpness, what a bummer, I used to have a XG1100 and I could get very sharp focus across the whole screen. What I was expecting from the 10PG was a noticeable step up, well I have been unable to get sharp focus across the whole screen, the edges suck and where it is sharp it is not that much sharper then my old XG1100. I tried changing out a supect part but that did not help. I have heard a similar complaint about other 10PG's, could be a design problem. I have not given up on getting excellent focus but I'm running out of things to try, to solve this problem.

If I knew about the sharpness issue before I bought this PJ, I would have gone for a XG with LC instead.

Could use some help with this sharpness issue.

Thanks, Deron.

·
Registered
500 Posts
One of the issues is the lack of corner focus correction. Without that you will never get the corners to be really sharp. The 10PG can throw a gorgeous detailed picture...but its not going to look like a G90 or even as sharp as an XG etc. I think the expectations placed on 9" vs 8" are very overated. I have personally owned or closely worked with all the major brands discussed here and with the exception of the G90/9500 or maybe the new Barco Cine 9" none have been as good as an 8" XG or Marquee. Thats just my .02 but I bet there will be a few guys here that back that up. I'll also go out on a limb and say that with a DVD resolution there is no difference. The big one being the 9" units usually having very low hours or new and being set up by competent people make the difference. When we talk high scan rate graphics/HDTV then the state of the art 9" will have a noticable difference. Liquid coupling and glass lenses also play a major role, I wouls say more than most would believe.

Mike

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hey, I'll take it off your hands for a couple O bucks.

Marc

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the latest is that I have been able to sharpen up the focus at the edges without losing sharp center focus. Getting very close to how sharp I got my XG1100 at the edges.

For all you 10PG owners out there I found that the position and angle of the focus coil on the tube neck is critical. What I did was move the focus coil back and forth till the focus got better, then I would rotate it for better focus, reset the astig and then do it all over again. I kept doing this till focus across allmost all of the tube was perfect.

The position of the astig magnets on the neck was not as critical as the focus coil.

The focus coil position from tube to tube was also different.

With my old XG1100 I did not have this problem, because the focus coil position did not seem as critical.

Persistence pays off.

Deron.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glad to here you got things sorted out Deron.

I did a setup reset on my 9PG at the weekend and did virtually what you described. I started by setting all three focus pots on the Def board to the same position (fully anticlockwise and then clockwise a quarter of a turn). I then by pure coincidence did the same as you. My idea was to have the signal strength controlling the focus relatively low in an attempt to keep the STK chips as understressed as possible.

I discovered that the higher the focus pot was set (clockwise high anti clockwise low) the nearer the bell end of the crt the focus coil needed to be positioned.

Does the position of the focus pot and hence the coil, have a bearing on the effectiveness of the edge focus controls once the coils are correctly positioned?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Proper setup is critical. My pix on the my 10PG is drop dead perfect. With the right calibration from the right ISF person you'll be very pleased.

my 2 cents as well.

JohnBoy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alan I set the focus pot to the mid posistion and then worked on the coil and magnets.

(Does the position of the focus pot and hence the coil, have a bearing on the effectiveness of the edge focus controls once the coils are correctly positioned?) That is a very good question, I guess you could do a whole paper on this and I bet at some point the guys that built these PJ's have all that written down somewhere.

Something else to consider is the lense you are using in relation to screen size. There's the HD-10 51 to 74 screen width, HD-120 78 to 118, HD-180 118 to 165 and the HD-300 78 to 346. Not sure what the different lenses do for you, could improve overall focus or could be for better corner focus, anyone know?

Deron.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Interesting, I saw the same thing at Gary Gleave's place in Calgary.

What I'm thinking is that you're dealing with a chassis that was developed in 1992/3 vs an XG chassis that was cranked out in 1995/6 with brighter tubes and much more alignment capability than the older PG.

I still love the 10PG, and have one here that I will be retubing shortly. Will it go and replace my recently upgraded XG 110? We'll see..;-)

Curt

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curt I was kinda disappointed at first, having such a well set up XG1100. But the more I work on the 10PG the more I like it, the black detail is awesome, easier to get the colors I like (get rid of the blue push), looks brighter even though it is rated at lower lumens. Still working on the focus, at first I could not get good edge focus at all, turns out alot of the focus has to do with the position of the focus coil. I nearly got it, I thinking that I should be able to get very good edge focus, do not expect it to be as good as the center as that is already a little better then my XG1100.

Having that same problem I always have with an upgrade. All smiles and loving every second of it. :)

Deron.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hey Deron,

I have to agree with what Paul(GN2) said once......Of all the pj's that I've had, I miss the 10PG the most!

I had a low hour one that I sold to Johnboy here.....

I wish I'd have kept it!

Have fun with that beast!

Drew

·
Registered
680 Posts
Hey guys

Deron, I have been plagued with soft focus as well, and I commend your tenacious efforts on finding the solutions.

Curt was out this way recently and installed my new tubes, I was hoping this would solve the problem, but it didn't.

Mike, Alun, Wes, and I have all tinkered under the hood, and have gotten a stunning picture out of it, but I know it can be better.

I will try changing out the chips mentioned, as well as moving the focus coils and post my thoughts.

I kinda got off topic, so here is my review.

I have owned many projectors over the years, and sold them all. This one is NOT for sale . The color and depth of image is simply stunning. The convergence is bang on from start up and does not drift even in Calgary's temperamental weather ( Thank for the email pointing out our resent snow fall Curt, had to rub it in, didn't ya).

I'm hoping with the help of this forum, and friends like Mike, Alun, Wes, and Curt, I can get the extra 10% out of my 10pg.

Gary.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gary do not change out the chips first, work on the position of the focus coil. That should help the most. I have been able to get the green almost perfect from edge to edge, with some more work I think I can, the red and blue are getting better as well.

Deron.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Deron, can you give us some screen shots. Love to see what the bigger badder can get over the PG9 you sold me!

Take to notorious Fifth Element shot if you would!

Wes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.