AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I sit 12 to 14 feet away from a say 110" screen and have wides involved (placed in columns near the front - i think), how wide does the room need to be wo as not to be too close to them in relations to the rest of the front stage.

I'm lookng for the formula, and math is not my strong point. I am not positive, but I believe that all speakers ought to be equal distant to the listening posistion.

Like the screen calculator, is their a speaker distance calculator, or does it even matter - i.e. use receiver room calibrations)?

PF

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Speakers don't need to be equi-distant from the listening position. Surround Processors and receivers have a speaker set up menu where you enter the distance between you and each speaker. That adjustment makes each speaker acoustically equi-distant from the listening position.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/19618851

Speakers don't need to be equi-distant from the listening position. Surround Processors and receivers have a speaker set up menu where you enter the distance between you and each speaker. That adjustment makes each speaker acoustically equi-distant from the listening position.

But given the angles involved to the listening position does this not make a differnence to preferred width of a room. I guess I'm starting backwards to ensure my room width will be wide enough. Certainly too narrow of a room will not be as ideal, as the sound fields from the mains and the wides intersect too early? Or first reflections land right on the wides or too near the wides. I dunno. Can I flank the screen with the wides and put the mains behind the screen, or should not the wides be more forward to avoid sound field issues - not sure what I'm saying here.

Maybe this is backwards... not sure. Trig is my week point.

PF

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Ideally the wider the better, as the farther away the speakers are the less variation in relative volume throught the seating area.

But I have 11.2 in a 12' wide room and it works fine.

Especially surprising is that even at the ends of the front row the wides 5' away don't call attention to themselves.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sure you've seen this already, but as mentioned above, the distance does not matter, it is the angle that is more important.

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dsx.html

The processor can adjust the delay based on distance, but it can not change the angle at which the sound is coming from. You are better off placing them as close as possible to the recommended angles.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Towards the listener. Ideally, all speakers should be angled toward the listener.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.