AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new AVR, I've got a speaker setup now for 7.1.4 Atmos / DTS X. I just don't have a receiver to power all 11 channels of audio, it's a SC85 that I bought at the time because my other SC-35 pioneer died. You guys know how it goes, that led me to install yet more speakers for the new 3D immersive audio stuff when I bought the 85. I would also like all the new 4k support - HDCP2.2 / HDMI2.0a. I keep coming across receivers like the denon 7200WA that will do everything except I have to buy an external 2 ch amp. I'm guessing that there doesn't exist a AVR that will do 11 channels powered or have I overlooked? How does the 2 ch amp thing work? More specifically, when I turn up the volume on the main AVR will it or will it not turn up the volume for the overhead 2 ch Atmos/DTSX speakers? I'm guessing not....any recommendations for a 2 ch amp for any of the newer AVR's? I would like to keep everything under $3k.

Currently have Definitive Technology BP7004's front right and left, CLR2500 center, BP2X's for sides/rears and for the overheads, Atmos DTS X, 5 1/4" in ceiling def techs.

·
Premium Member
89,507 Posts
There are two new 11CH models that will soon be released that support 4k/HDCP 2.2/Atmos/DTS:X: Onkyo TX-RZ3100 (July) and Denon X6300H (Sep)

However, adding a 2CH amp to a 9CH model (eg. X7200WA) allows you to control the volume of the additional speakers with the AVR remote. If you raise the master volume of all speakers, the externally amped speaker volume is raised as well. The most often recommended 2CH amp is the AudioSource AMP100VS to power the additional set of height speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-AMP100VS-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B00ZSEFU94

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD, do those new AVR's you mention have all 11 ch's self powered or do you still need the external 2 ch amp?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks JD, do those new AVR's you mention have all 11 ch's self powered or do you still need the external 2 ch amp?
I think Anthem MRX-1120 is the only fully amped AVR on the market right now, the rest require atleast a 2ch ext amp.

Reactions: nickbuol

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Anthem MRX 1120 AV 11 channel receiver, which I can testify the sound production and Dolby Atmos sound field is amazing from this Anthem receiver. It's a full blown 11 channel receiver that requires no additional power amp. Very easy to set up and the ARC correction system is spot on and works very well.

If you have the money to spend, look no further and purchase the Anthem MRX-1120.

Thanks,
Randy

·
Premium Member
89,507 Posts
I have the Anthem MRX 1120 AV 11 channel receiver, which I can testify the sound production and Dolby Atmos sound field is amazing from this Anthem receiver. It's a full blown 11 channel receiver that requires no additional power amp. Very easy to set up and the ARC correction system is spot on and works very well.

If you have the money to spend, look no further and purchase the Anthem MRX-1120.

Thanks,
Randy
Has Anthem indicated when the DTS:X firmware update will be released for the MRX-1120?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've sold several MRX1120s, I'll send you a PM on a great deal on one. They blow everything out of the water, especially when you use ARC to get the most out of it.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
JD is the 6300 meant to slot in above the 7200 i.e. be the new top of the line for Denon? Or will they also release a 7300?

·
Premium Member
89,507 Posts
JD is the 6300 meant to slot in above the 7200 i.e. be the new top of the line for Denon? Or will they also release a 7300?
Nope. The X7200WA remains the "flagship" model for 2016, while the X6300H simply adds 2 more amps and HEOS capability. The successor to the X7200WA won't be released until Dec 2017.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Nope. The X7200WA remains the "flagship" model for 2016, while the X6300H simply adds 2 more amps and HEOS capability. The successor to the X7200WA won't be released until Dec 2017.
Dec. 2017 is both a long time away, and a very specific timeframe. Can you say how it is that you know this, apparently definitively?

·
Premium Member
89,507 Posts
Dec. 2017 is both a long time away, and a very specific timeframe. Can you say how it is that you know this, apparently definitively?
The "flagship" D+M AVR has normally been released in Dec every other year for the past few years. D+M apparently decided there was not enough new enhancements to release a new "flagship" model this year and therefore is postponing the release until next year.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Any good comments on Onkyo 3030 or the Integra TR 70/.6? Both are 11.2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts