AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been interested in Atmos and all these other things popping up, but I would need an eleven channel amp to do what I really want to do. I know that I can spend about 2 grand and get one of these amps, but spending 2 grand on a AVR is not my normal M.O. so to speak.

Will 11 channel amps always be at least $1500 or more ?

Or will I ever actually see them in a Best Buy circular, being sold to Mr. Joe Sixpack for $899 on sale ?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
A dollar a watt is an affordable amp of good quality.
So $1500 for a 11 ch amp isn't a crazy amount.
You need to set reasonable expectations for this hobby.
It would be reasonable if you didn't have to upgrade every few years just to stay on top of things. I'm not complaining, though. I know that's how it is with this hobby, and I've made the decision to be behind a bit and wait until I can afford things better.

So, I've been interested in Atmos and all these other things popping up, but I would need an eleven channel amp to do what I really want to do. I know that I can spend about 2 grand and get one of these amps, but spending 2 grand on a AVR is not my normal M.O. so to speak.

Will 11 channel amps always be at least $1500 or more ?

Or will I ever actually see them in a Best Buy circular, being sold to Mr. Joe Sixpack for $899 on sale ?
Probably, you just won't be on the cutting edge of things because, at that price, you'll be getting a model that has sat on the shelf for one or more years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are open to used amps deals are available. For example: I picked up a 12 channel Sonance 50 watt per channel for under $500. Audiogon and ebay and craig's list and local pawn shops are all good resources. So far in the last 3 years I have picked up a used Cinepro 3K6mk2 and nice M&K sub from local pawn shops in my area. Be prepared to haggle for a really good price/value.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts