AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a couple weeks ago I picked up a Black Friday 7702mk2 processor so I could start upgrading to Atmos...

This is my first processor so I needed an amp, and I decided I to build it. I looked at Hypex, Icepower, and a variety of popular lower cost class D boards on diyA. I have now secured 11 Icepower AXS2BTL boards from eBay. Thanks to Nyt and Hypez for input.

I picked these boards because of the price to performance and integrated power supply. The boards will output 170W at 4ohm with 1%THD+N, powering my 1099s and surrounds. Distortion at 1W 4ohm is 0.002% with clean output up to around 80W. It has a S/N of 125dB and operates balanced.

More details to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
THIS ^ is the start of something great . . . .

the modular configurable powerhouse

did I hear somebody say 9.x.6

subbed

maybe you could reserve a few post slots and keep everything right up front and editable . ..

and thanks

Reactions: murphy2112

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Some are looking for Sub amps that don't have a restriction wrt a built in HPF or a response/driving capacity/range that can go down to say 5 Hz.

I checked the website but I can't really tell what the rated frequency range is.

This is gonna be beautiful

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea, reserved

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reserved

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reserved

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think it was necessary and will start looking into the options - all links are appreciated. I have read about the LM4562 but thought those were used in other applications. The Marantz should have enough voltage to drive the amp to full power so I guess it will need to be operating at unity gain and not act as a preamp, unless I have misunderstood?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Are there any DIY amp designs available that can produce 200 or more WPC into 8 ohms into more than 5 or 7 channels? I would like to see that design allow for bridging. I would also like to see 1000 WPC 2-channel DIY amp solutions using class AB/G. But only if those designs are better or cheaper than what can be found from ID or commercially available locations.

I DO like the balanced design though.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but I had no idea you could build your own amps! Where can I find out more info about this?!?

Can you build ATMOS amps for a theater room?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
You should not need a buffer on the input of these amplifiers as the Marantz essentially has that. I would start by building them as is and testing it. If it sounds good to you, don't worry about it. If you find the highs seem rolled off, you might have a mismatch and need to add the buffer. Having worked with these exact amplifier modules I did not find the problems noted in that DIYaudio post, and question both how that person measured it and what his source was. One of my own amplifier builds has PASS B1 buffers and before that a DIY HDAM style buffer. What I've generally noticed is that adding things to fix one problem often adds another problem. The HDAM was really sensitive to the power supply I used and the way I grounded them. The PASS B1 was worse. The aux power on the icepower amps might not work well to power the buffer so now you need to add a power supply (or 11) to power the 11 input buffers. You won't hurt anything to try it without, so before you go wasting a lot of time and money adding buffers, try it without. Modern equipment typically has sufficiently buffered outputs with standard output impedances that match the standard input impedance of these devices (in this case 8k ohms minimum).

·
Registered
292 Posts
honestly, skip the pots. the preamp will adjust all the appropriate levels and volume control. i've read about too many issues when using them

PM me if you have any q's, built an Icepower amp a few months back. 500asp + 500a for my subs

·
Registered
893 Posts
honestly, skip the pots. the preamp will adjust all the appropriate levels and volume control. i've read about too many issues when using them

PM me if you have any q's, built an Icepower amp a few months back. 500asp + 500a for my subs

I don't think he is adding pot's, that was just DS-21's comment.

·
Registered
688 Posts
just go over to diy audio u will find countless amps u could build and quite a few u can buy assembled

some easy amps would be

L15D i have a lot of these easy to use and they sound good, not so great for high sensitivity speakers little bit of buzz at over 100db/watt
First one on paper this amp is super good
hypex expensive their power supplys are well priced
http://connexelectronic.com/ good stuff kinda priced out with the euro tanking
sure electronics cheapest chinese crap avoid

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still not clear that an additional buffer is necessary for this setup, and I'll reserve judgement about making a board until I can thoroughly test things. Many of the diyA guys seem to have very unique home made equipment, and while I wouldn't venture to suggest that I know better I will defer for now. The buffers discussed in the designers manual look simple enough to build, and I hopefully should have enough space in the chassis to add them if needed. But my perception from nearly everything I've read at this point is that it will not be needed, and I'll report back either way.

for anyone interested, here's some OEM info for these boards:

http://www.icepower.dk/files/solutions/icepower50asx2_datasheet_1_5_20150709.pdf
http://www.icepower.dk/files/solutions/icepower50asx2_designersmanual_1-1b_03072012.pdf

I am temporarily powering the L/R 1099s using a TPA3116 amp that I got from Yuan Jing in HK to test, powered by an old HP laptop power supply. It is a very popular

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ordered some of the connectors, shielded wire, and related parts from Redco. I picked up a couple extra XLR connectors in case I can integrate the 2x4 DSP sub unit into the amp housing. I still need to pick up the IEC power connector, parts for the remote on/off trigger, and other items from Digikey.

For ease of construction, I also picked up pre-fab cable sets from Ghent: http://ghentaudio.com/cable/50asx2.html

And the chassis, using the alternate cover with 10 rows of vent holes: http://www.modushop.biz/site/index.php?route=product/product&path=65_83_89&product_id=168

Attachments

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chassis is here

1 - 20 of 156 Posts