AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to purchase a Mitsubishi HC3800 and need screen info...

Looking for at least a 110in screen and would like a 133in if possible. Has to be a pull down because of the kids and the wife says she doesn't want to look at the huge thing all the time (its going in the living room).

Would like a tensioned pull down but I think they are out of my budget; right?

Manual vs electric pulldown - pro's/con's?

How long will a non-tensioned pulldown last before the "waves" come? Is a manual or electric better for minimizing waves?

What brands are good? What brands should I absolutely avoid?

Gain - screen will be in a room with 2 windows and a glass door so ambient light will be an issue. What gain should I look for?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
I would suggest you head to the screen forum and start reading up on the pros and cons of all the things you asked about. There are many factors in choosing a screen but at $600 you are really limiting yourself

·
Registered
400 Posts
I say tell your wife to find decorations that pull down
I have a dedicated room but am just using regular old white paint on the wall (that wall is a smooth finish) And it looks great.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/18279007

I would suggest you head to the screen forum and start reading up on the pros and cons of all the things you asked about. There are many factors in choosing a screen but at $600 you are really limiting yourself

Yeah it seems like everyone in the screen forum is talking about $1k + screens so I thought I'd throw up the topic here..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra /forum/post/18281229

I say tell your wife to find decorations that pull down
I have a dedicated room but am just using regular old white paint on the wall (that wall is a smooth finish) And it looks great.

This would be a great (cheap) way to go but my wife painted the walls baby blue....

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
Read up on the Dalite High Power, which you can get around that price and size if you look hard enough (contact Jason in AVSFORUM). It's called a retro-reflective screen (light reflects back toward the projector) high gain made for table mounts, but works okay with ceiling mounts too--just not the full gain and it rejects ambient light, and does not need to be tensioned. I had one as a pull down and used it for many years without a problem. Screen has a lot of wow factor imho--you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do I get in touch with "jason"? I searched for threads by him and came up with nothing...

I read up on the Dalite high power and I don't know how beneficial it would be to me as I plan to ceiling mount the HC3800. My room has 9ft ceilings and I would probably go with a 133in screen (if the HC3800 is bright enough for it). My understanding is that to benefit from the HP screen you need to have the projector near eye level with the center of the screen; right?

So the 133" HP screen is 65" x 116" my ceiling is 9ft. Where on the wall would the screen ideally need to be, and at what heighth would the PJ need to be from the ceiling to benefit from the HP screen?

My room is 16ft x 16ft

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
DavidinGA -- See http://www.avscienceweb.com/avscienc...=96&Itemid=120 . Jason Turk is at the top of the Sales Team list. I bought my Da-Lite High Power screen through him back in 2004. The shipping for my 106", 16:9, retractable, was $100, at that time -- expect a higher shipping cost now.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/18284221

Read up on the Dalite High Power, which you can get around that price and size if you look hard enough (contact Jason in AVSFORUM). It's called a retro-reflective screen (light reflects back toward the projector) high gain made for table mounts, but works okay with ceiling mounts too--just not the full gain and it rejects ambient light, and does not need to be tensioned. I had one as a pull down and used it for many years without a problem. Screen has a lot of wow factor imho--you'll love it.

I would try to stay away from the HP if I were you. Yeah the HP does have a great pic under the right circumstances but it is very restricting(very poor side viewing), especially considering the offset that the HC3800 apparently has and the HP being retro-reflective, imo it just doesn't sound like a very good match. I even own a HP and just pulled the trigger myself last night on an HC3800 but will be taking a different path as far as a screen goes(DIY)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe /forum/post/18290654

DavidinGA -- See http://www.avscienceweb.com/avscienc...=96&Itemid=120 . Jason Turk is at the top of the Sales Team list. I bought my Da-Lite High Power screen through him back in 2004. The shipping for my 106", 16:9, retractable, was $100, at that time -- expect a higher shipping cost now.

bad link....?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a question I should have asked originally...Do I have the distance to do a 133" screen with a 16ft wide room? That would probably be more like 15ft of distance after you subtract the width of the PJ and the inches lost in the width of the screen case that jets away from the wall...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeratt /forum/post/18290709

I would try to stay away from the HP if I were you. Yeah the HP does have a great pic under the right circumstances but it is very restricting(very poor side viewing), especially considering the offset that the HC3800 apparently has and the HP being retro-reflective, imo it just doesn't sound like a very good match. I even own a HP and just pulled the trigger myself last night on an HC3800 but will be taking a different path as far as a screen goes(DIY)

What should I look for? Room has ambient light and typical (non-dark) furniture in the room. White or grey screen? What gain level?

·
Banned
2,411 Posts
There are other screen options that Jason can lead you through. I just suggested the HP because it works very well as a pulldown screen without sagging over time. As for the narrow viewing angle. Yes, if you are using it strictly as a high gain screen with a low lumen projector, you could have issues. But as good pulldown alternative for a high lumen projector such as the HC3800, you will love it. I was also thinking you would be doing some keystoning and keeping the screen at a higher level with the projector. If your projector is 3 feet or less over your head, then the high power will have at least 1.0 gain or higher--typically 1.5 going to 1.0 offaxis for your room size. Again, this is just a suggestion and there are so many variables and opinions (good ones I might add
) that you will quickly go into screen gridlock. Some here get the projector and then watch a white wall or bed sheet for a while to get a feel for it first, then get some screen swatches to test with before pulling the trigger. With your screen size, though, the HC3800 can handle most any screen type from a gray .8 to high gain without light issues.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 /forum/post/18291940

There are other screen options that Jason can lead you through. I just suggested the HP because it works very well as a pulldown screen without sagging over time. As for the narrow viewing angle. Yes, if you are using it strictly as a high gain screen with a low lumen projector, you could have issues. But as good pulldown alternative for a high lumen projector such as the HC3800, you will love it. I was also thinking you would be doing some keystoning and keeping the screen at a higher level with the projector. If your projector is 3 feet or less over your head, then the high power will have at least 1.0 gain or higher--typically 1.5 going to 1.0 offaxis for your room size. Again, this is just a suggestion and there are so many variables and opinions (good ones I might add
) that you will quickly go into screen gridlock. Some here get the projector and then watch a white wall or bed sheet for a while to get a feel for it first, then get some screen swatches to test with before pulling the trigger. With your screen size, though, the HC3800 can handle most any screen type from a gray .8 to high gain without light issues.

Thanks for the info. I did email Jason for some more info to.

My dilema is that I have a 3 yr old and I so I need to keep the PJ up well out of his reach so I figure it needs to be near the ceiling. The ceiling is 9ft so maybe I could mount it 2ft down or so and still have it be at a "safe" heigth of 7ft. Also, because of my 3 yr old it would probably be a good idea to have the screen up a little higher too so perhaps that might work?

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA /forum/post/18291916

What should I look for? Room has ambient light and typical (non-dark) furniture in the room. White or grey screen? What gain level?

Sorry man but to be honest with you that was about the only first hand advice I could give(being an HP owner)...I know big help
lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA /forum/post/18291916

I personally this time around gonna give the DIY route a try. Gonna go with the Wilson Art Laminate I keep hearing about in the DIY screen forum. Not much help in your area though.

·
Banned
2,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinGA /forum/post/18292040

My dilema is that I have a 3 yr old and I so I need to keep the PJ up well out of his reach so I figure it needs to be near the ceiling. The ceiling is 9ft so maybe I could mount it 2ft down or so and still have it be at a "safe" heigth of 7ft. Also, because of my 3 yr old it would probably be a good idea to have the screen up a little higher too so perhaps that might work?

Your solution sounds practical. It's your $600 price range that is the problem here. It will be hard to find a high gain screen other than the HP in a pull down that works without sagging over time. Want a cheap alternative to tide you over for a while? Try searching: "Elite Screens Manual Pull Down Projection Screen" on Ebay. Real cheap 1.0 gain, 100" diag. Some on this forum have used them and they are ok...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts