AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? I don't need a top notch picture but would like the best for my money. Has anyone gotten a OK picture this size for under $2300? If so what pj do you have?

Use...........35% Viewing DVD/Dig TV/HDTV

45% Gaming PC FPS/Xbox/PS2

20% Browsing and Miscellaneous

·
Banned
5,755 Posts
I don't personally know of a native 16:9 PJ under $2300 that will do 110" but I'm sure others here do.

Usually one wants to be no closer than 1.5 time the screen width in order to not see the warts (Pixel structure and such).

You should have no trouble at your seating distance.

I read a lot about the Sharp A10X (less than 1/2 your $ amount) being pretty bright. It runs best using an HTPC and is 4:3.

I'm sure others will have good suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Sanyo Z2 I purchased last month did 110" 16x9 just fine. The cost was under $2000. My seating was around 12-13ft and I thought it looked great! I ended up going back to a 92" diag because 110" was just too big for my room size (14"x14"). I am using the room for other activities and the larger screen was getting in the way. If I had a bigger room, no doubt I would have gone with a larger screen. I have been very, very pleased thus far.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Z2 here. No problem at 119". For a room with good light control or only evening viewing, z2 or Ae500 should be no problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mike.cf
Z2 here. No problem at 119". For a room with good light control or only evening viewing, z2 or Ae500 should be no problem.
Mike.cf, Noticed you are in Orlando. Do you happen to know of any dealers in Orlando that has the Z2 available for a demo? I got the upgrade bug a few weeks back and have been reading up on everything I can. Its a bit overwhelming at the moment but I'm thinking about ordering a Z2 in the near future.

Just to mention that Ill be using the PJ for 70% DVDs viewing and 30% xbox/ps2 and will probably use it only at night, since controlling the light in the room is near impossible.

Also does anyone think that 104" is too big if I'm seated 12' from the screen? Looking into ceiling mounting the PJ once I get it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i use the x1 on a 110" (16x9) carada fixed screen and it looks very good (IMO). total cost fits within your budget and gives you ~$500 to spend on widescreen dvd's. my room is 12x26 - seating is 14-16 feet.

·
Registered
476 Posts
nope, im going the h30 route. Right now i have an x1 with 110 inch 16:9. It works but theres some quality lost. From what other users have said the 6100 gives a brighter picture (helps on biger pictures) and a faster wheel and if you get it before the 31 you can get a 100 dollar rebate which depending on where you get it makes it the same price as the x1 or lower.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i saw you plan on using pc, you probably want to go with higher res, something like the z2, ae500 or 6200. also soul calibur 2 on the xbox will benefit the most on something that suports true 720p.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm using a Studio Experience 1HD (aka Sanyo PLV-Z1) with a 119" Dalite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen running in low lamp mode. The whole bundle with 30' studio grade component cable and S-Video cable ran me less than $1750. After 750hrs, it was still a remarkable value. I'll upgrade when the HD2+ DLP's come south of $5k. Till then, I'm more than happy with my purchase and savings.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Are you talking 110" diagonal? I have a DIY blackout screen of 110" diagonal with a SE 2HD, sit back 14' and the picture is awesome.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Z1 here. 110" no problem in 16:9

·
Registered
476 Posts
im sorry i thought you mean 110 diam. Anyways you can certainly push alot of projectors to large sizes but youll effect your pq considerably. I would go for something with hi lumens. Its all very subjective. you might want to consider xga for that pc xbox use as well as your seating postion. lt240k lt260k, benq 6200.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.