AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1307 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Where did you buy your screen track? Seems like this is a very cost effective screen even if you don't want AT.

·
Registered
437 Posts
My local Home Depot store stocks the track.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You can get them at the local Lowes or Home Depot stores.

Btw, the spandex arrived yesterday. They are indeed heavy and thick.

I should be able to throw them up tonight for some quick testing and measurements.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Had a chance to play around with the spandex tonight and took some shots. Judge for yourself.

The left side of the screen is my SW Extra White painted Sintra/Komatex screen. The right side is the Moleskin Mattte Silver spandex folded in half and hang on the screen.

My Epson 8100 PJ is calibrated to rec 709 on Natural setting and is measured at 16ftL.

The silver spandex measured around 6.5ftL on the same settings. Once I switched to Living Room mode, it clocked in at 17ftL, but the image is overly bright and washed out.

Looks like I'll be building a white on silver spandex screen.

Once I finished building this screen, I'll measure its AT properties.'

I am using an i1 Display Pro with Fork HCFR for measurements.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Btw, 3 yards of spandex is a lot for a 110" screen.

I didn't take exact measurement, but it's at least 100" in length, without stretching.

I was able to spread it out and cover by entire 96x54 frame, with room to spare.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Smokarz,

I finished up my frame tonight as well. Hope to have my spandex possibly tomorrow. I do like the brightness of the SW extra white. It looks almost to bright. I prefer the silver. The one thing that really stood out to me in your pictures was the first spiderman photo. The SW extra white his suit looks nearly orange, while on the silver his suit is a deep sexy red.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I agreed with you Duke.

I like Gray too, it always offer deeper blacks and colors.

It just that the overall image is a bit too dark for my taste. Watching a 2 hour movie on gray screen almost always hurt my eyes.

I started with the SW gray paint, but then switched to white because I prefer a brighter image.

I am sure many people would be happy with a gray screen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I will be getting some moleskin matte silver and also some of that metallic matte silver. Figured I could try the metallic out. Worst case scenario I would just use the Metallic as a backer to the moleskin.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Unless my eyes are cheated by some spell, the left hand side looks way better to me. I ordered the silver, but perhaps I need to be using the white as the main screen, then back it with the silver. My plan was just to order enough of the silver to do two layers. Bad idea??? Buyers remorse sucks.

Smokarz, I'm with you. I like the brighter image and damnit I shoulda gone with the white spandex. It's not a big deal for me to order it, though, so I may just end up doing that and posting my results.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,518 Posts
Any / every screen application is tied to both the PJ used and the room it resides in.

One cannot make an assumption based on another's singular comment...and Smokarz was talking about his switch to White "Paint" from a "Gray" paint.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
MM is right.

The correct screen has lots to do with the PJ, the room, and most of all your preference.

Something that works best for me, might not be for you.

I would suggest you take sometimes to play around with the different colors and see what work best for you. The good thing is that the spandex is not expensive.

And don't get me wrong, I do like gray. It's just too dark for my taste. You want brightness to be around 12ftL - 16ftL. But some like it brighter, and some prefer a slightly darker image.

So bottom line is, one size does not fit all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The comparison is painted white vs. silver matte moleskin not stretched and not backed with stretched white either. So to judge the moleskin silver with this is not fair. I'm not saying that it will look the same as the painted white, just pointing this out so people don't think the silver moleskin will look exactly like this.

With this said the painted white image looks great

21 - 40 of 1307 Posts