AVS Forum banner

1301 - 1307 of 1307 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
ok thinking about redoing my screen with 120" wide spandex...

rosebrand vs spandex world

rosebrand has both black and white :

https://www.rosebrand.com/shop/product.aspx?id=2220

listed as 1 pound per linear yard, it also quotes 4.1oz on the page but no idea what that refers to.

A linear Yard is a measurement of "Length...so...3' 4.1oz per linear yard = 12.3 oz per Square Yard

spandexworld only carries white :

https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/15949

and lists weight as "Fabric Weight: 8.85 Oz/Sq Yard, 300 G/Sq Meter, 836 G/Yard"

Soooooooo, The Spandex World fabric is a full 4oz lighter than the Rosebrand.

I don't really know if the rosebrand or spandexworld weight numbers are comparable - one's thing for sure - rosebrand's material costs about half as much as spandex world.

Obviously, the best choice all around for AT purposes would be to use the 120" from Spandex World for the Top Layer, and the Spandex World Black Milliskin for the rear. The altermative is the Spandex White 120 for the Top...the Rosebrand Black for the Rear

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
A linear Yard is a measurement of "Length...so...3' 4.1oz per linear yard = 12.3 oz per Square Yard

Soooooooo, The Spandex World fabric is a full 4oz lighter than the Rosebrand.

Obviously, the best choice all around for AT purposes would be to use the 120" from Spandex World for the Top Layer, and the Spandex World Black Milliskin for the rear. The altermative is the Spandex White 120 for the Top...the Rosebrand Black for the Rear

I’ll be doing the latter. Not messing with multiple sheets

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm that spandex world was a necessary choice for the white layer.

Sort of annoyed at elite screens for not selling larger sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
I’ll be doing the latter. Not messing with multiple sheets

Thanks. Just wanted to confirm that spandex world was a necessary choice for the white layer.

Absolutely.

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]

Why? You wouldn't get any better AT performance...in fact it would be lessor in nature. You might get a bit more foot lambert...but also be able to see the screen weave / perforations.

Time to get'ter dun !

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Absolutely.
[/QUOTE]

Why? You wouldn't get any better AT performance...in fact it would be lessor in nature. You might get a bit more foot lambert...but also be able to see the screen weave / perforations.

Time to get'ter dun ![/QUOTE]

Yah. It would help a whole crap ton if we could finally sell the house we left so that I could have a theater in the first place.

Soon. Soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,762 Posts
Say you have a popular PJ like the Benq HT2050 or 3050 (Contrast Ratio 15.000:1 and lumens 2200 and 2000, respectively), want a 2.40:1 AT-screen at around 130", and you really enjoy watching 3D sometimes ... would you use spandex?

There are several factors in play. If your going to have a 2.39:1 screen at 130" (50" x 120") The shortest Throw for best lumen delivered onto 50" x 120" is 11'-6" .

As such, if watching in the dark, I would have no problem suggesting someone use Spandex on a 50" x 120" - 130" diagonal 2.39:1 screen with the PJ @ 11'-6" Throw.

..........but not for 3D, because with a C.H.I. screen of 50" x 89" 16x9 requires a "minimum" Throw of 11'-1" ....5" shorter than the other Throw for the much wider 2.39:1.
Toss in enough Lumen lost in 3D mode to make a substantial difference and 3D watch-ability would be a non-starter....

Even so, Ambient light viewing would be problematical (...a personal judgement at best...) with the 2050a because the W/B Spandex would be reflecting about 14 fl (.07 gain +/- )

As for the 3050......I'd be advising that it not be considered, or a smaller screen be chosen.

1301 - 1307 of 1307 Posts