AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 14 wide and 19 long by 8 high. I will buy a 110" screen and was wondering what would be good projector for this screen size? The room is fully light controlled. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Well you need to tell us other things like budget, vieweing preferences ie dvd, hdtv etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Louis on the budget thing I'm just like everyone, I want the best for least, meaning I'm open to all ideas, but would like to stay around $1000. As of to watching it will be mainly movies (dvd) at night and some sports in the afternoon (digital cable or direct tv hd). I hope this is more help. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
assuming you want to mount the projector in the back of the room, the panasonic ae700 would be a good bet for that throw distance.

well your price range eliminates the ae700 so you will have to mount the projector closer to get that size image.

You have two basic choices in that price range a 480p dlp or a 720p last generation lcd.

DLP Infocus 4805, optoma h31, optoma H27(longer throw than H31)

LCD Sanyo z2

The LCD is true HD res but does not have as dark blacks as the DLP.

The DLPs have darker blacks and a more film like image, but you will have to sit 2x screen width away to eliminate screen door effect and pixelation from the image.

110 inch diagonal is 96 inches wide so 2x screen width is 16 feet back for viewing the DLP projectors.

You can sit 12 feet away from the LCD.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Quote:
The DLPs have darker blacks and a more film like image, but you will have to sit 2x screen width away to eliminate screen door effect and pixelation from the image.
Thats not necesarily true. Between 2 x to even 1.5x are acceptable for some people. It would be nice if the poster was able to check it out by himself cause SDE and viewing distance varies among people. I myself sit at 1.60 x from a 124" screen (9'wide) and while SDE is visible in credits for the most part isnt visible during movies (i dont look for artifacts so that helps).

For $1000 the 4805 is my recommendation without hesitation.

Here are some links with images from my setup. At 110" the image could only look better than mine at 124".
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...page=516&pp=30

here are comparisons to the H31
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=567747&page=1

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Luis,

Just curious what screen you're using?

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
What kind of screen are you getting? You really need to consider the screen gain on your screen to match with the projector and your room also.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The budget you are looking at will lead you to only one projector, the infocus 4805. The projector viewing distance varies with the size of the screen.

I will make some simple mathematical statements that not everyone will agree with but are just reality.

The 4805 will allow you to sit closer than the norm of 2x screen width especially with screen sizes smaller than 96" diagonaly because as you reduce the screen size, the 'ratio' of 'distance' to 'pixel size' changes 'algorithmically'. I will explain.

The human eye has a much more difficult time 'registering' distance as an item being looked at gets 'smaller'. A person actually focusing on the 'entire' object rather than a 'smaller' part of a large object will see 'less' imperfections or should I say notice less artifacts in the picture. This is because you are looking at the 'whole' object rather than just a 'smaller' part of it.

The 4805 on a 110" screen 'diagonaly' should be sitting on an average of 1.75x screen width. However, the same projector showing on a 92" screen 'diagonaly' can be viewed at 1.5x very easily. How is this possible?

The pixel diameter shrinks .0989mm for every 10 inches extra viewing distance. Now if we decrease the overall picture size by 10 inches and keep our viewing distance the same, the pixel diameter is now .04556mm. The picture obviously with the pixels at a 'perceived' smaller size and smaller perceived distance from each other will make the image better.

It is better to shrink the screen size down and sit closer to the 4805 than to increase the screen size and sit further back. This holds true for projectors with less resolution and large pixel sizes. This is the reason why extremely large screen sizes are bad not just for picture quality but for the human eye to grasp the entire picture spectrum.

I feel that the 4805 with a screen size at 92" or less will enable 'guaranteed' viewing pleasure as close as 1.5x screen width. Luis can fill you in on how he makes his 4805 enjoyable at 1.5x viewing distance on a much larger screen with his HTPC tweaks. He seems to have this issue well managed. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Before we continue this topic any farther I should clarify one thing. My $1000 budget is for the screen alone not including the projector. As of the projector budget it is going to be around $3000. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I like the optoma h77. Also the sharp 2000. Also the........... Ah what the heck. There are so many good choices in this price range I just do not even know where to begin. :D

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Hugh, I am using a DIY Blackout cloth thats it. When I want 9' wide 1.85 screen I let the screen blend with the white wall. It aint perfect but I barely notice since its so big anyway most of the action is in the center of the screen.
Quote:
I feel that the 4805 with a screen size at 92" or less will enable 'guaranteed' viewing pleasure as close as 1.5x screen width. Luis can fill you in on how he makes his 4805 enjoyable at 1.5x viewing distance on a much larger screen with his HTPC tweaks. He seems to have this issue well managed.
LOL. Its a matter of two things, the HTPC and the will to enjoy the movie without looking for artifacts or SDE.

$3000 range....now there are many options there so I will look for 720P DLPs or wait for the soon to be released stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.