AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so all I have is a 73" mitsubishi, PS3, and Yamaha receiver. I plan to update the receiver to something with wifi and such things, and maybe custom lighting and a few more touches to my dedicated tv/theater room. So Is a Harmony 1100 worth if for me? Right now I have to play around with 3 remotes (tv, comcast, yamaha receiver) and the PS3 remote when ever I want to play games or watch movies... ITS A PAIN.

But I have not researched other remotes then the Harmony 1100... So any suggestions? I like the option on the 1100 to just push "movie" or "TV" to have everything turn on. But aside from that is there a point to it?

The main factor here is Money. I cant find the 1100 for under $250... If I could find it under $200 i would jump right on it.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Any Harmony remote allows you to just push one button and turn everything on. I personally hate touchscreen remotes so my answer to your question is no, the 1100 isn't worth it.

You'll also need some sort of IR adapter for the PS3. Read my FAQ sticky for more details on PS3 control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You. I assume the 1100 is more about "it" factor and not about specs compared to say the harmony One witch i see many here have?

Also I just took a quick look at the logitech site. I saw the Revue with Google thing. In the description is sais it has the same harmony stuff on it. So would this work? It also said it could work with smart phones. Is this basically the exact same things as a harmony remote inside my Android? Sorry i am so confused.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Depending on the model, your comcast remote may be able to do much of what a harmony would do, including control the PS3 (activities, volume punch thru, etc.). If you buy a JP1 cable for that remote, you can put your "Watch TV" activity on the TV button, "Watch Movie" on the DVD button, etc., and accomplish the same thing as you would with harmony. FWIW, the latest nyko blu-wave will control your PS3 using standard sony DVD codes and is around $15. I control a 12 device home theater with a remote similar to your comcast using about 30 activity macros, and it's much faster than my harmony ever was.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. But I rarely watch cable tv on my TV room. For that reason, in that room I only have the simple "hotel" stile comcast box with a very simple remote.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Is it safe to say it's not shown in the top row of THIS page? If it were, then it will do everything I posted. If not, then the $15 RCA RCRP05B will, if you decide to go the cheap route. If you settle on harmony, since you only have 4 devices, you only need the model 600, 650 or 700 which run $50-$80. Like Bryan, I don't care for touch screen remotes because I prefer to use a remote by feel. But if you like them, then the $250 1100 is for you. Just keep in mind it's actually less capable than it's cheaper cousins in some respects since it can't do sequences (one button macros).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea its the small cheap black one. Might upgrade later to a HD box.

I been looking at the Revue Google box. From what I can find, it seams it can do all the harmony remote stuff too. Can anyone confirm? For $100 bucks I would jump on it right away.

·
Registered
15,144 Posts
Looks like you need an iPhone/iPod/Android for the harmony functionality. If you've got one of those and don't mind using it as your remote 100% of the time, looks like a great, cheap solution. The included keyboard appears to do some basic volume and playback control, but nothing fancy like activities you'd have via the harmony functionality on a smart phone type device.

Whatever you do, please post back and let us know how well the revue works as a remote. At it's new low price, it looks very appealing to me as well.

EDIT: THIS guy says the keyboard can control all his devices. Still not sure how activities would fit in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts