AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal, a B/M store(locally) is replacing my Mit's 57732 DLP.The store is giving us $1139 store credit.

The tv will no longer be our primary TV because we just purchased a Kuro 151 and I don't think the Kuro is going back
The TV will be use primarily for our media/gaming/TV watching when we move but until then it will be in my son's room for their game play(Xbox & Wii). The TV will be mounted on the wall,after we move until then it will be on a stand.

Well to get to the question, what TV should I get?

I would like to go with a Panny plasma,since they pretty good reviews on here. My concern is burn-in with the games? I will say they only get to play in 1 1/2 hour increments. They usually play back-to-back so the tv might be on game mode for about 3 hours.

I was also thinking about LCD's. It sounds like Sammy makes pretty good ones,just that they so many models,I'm not sure which ones are good?

Common sense tells me to go with LCD because of burn-in and less heat/power consumption? If LCD is the way to go,which one should I go with? If the plasma will work(which I prefer) which one should I go with?

I'm not sure if I can mention the store but the initials are UE

·
Registered
93 Posts
For media, nothing comes close to the Samsungs for now. Wireless streaming of video and music from network, most video/music formats supported and 1080p via VGA are some of the reasons I went for Samsung.

The tougher choice is plasma vs. LCD. LCDs, once thought to be the superior gaming TV, generally suffer from more input lag (especially the Samsungs, although "game mode" makes the lag reasonable). Plasma burn-in isn't a problem today unless with excessive usage. Some eyes are more susceptible to phosphor trails in the plasmas while others dislike LCD motion blur or the effects used to correct the blur.

I had to make a similar choice to you. I went with the Samsung PN50B650. I haven't done input lag tests yet, but I expect it in game mode or VGA to be only slightly slower than Panasonics and much faster than the LCDs. I have a wireless hard drive to store all my media so all my computers have access to my library, and the TV wirelessly streams content through a computer. I use 1080p via VGA for my Xbox 360 because I have an older version without HDMI and component only runs at 1080i (pannies only do 720p via VGA). I wanted a TV that could display 24p sources at 96hz--the Samsung does this well but there is a bug that slightly lightens the blacks. I feel this TV is the best of all worlds and is exceptionally inexpensive. The "buzz" that people have complained about is the exact same noise that comes out of a Mitsu LCD and is much quieter than my Samsung DLP buzz/fans. If you heard buzzing from some Pioneers, this is very similar.

I've had many LCDs but the PN50B650 is my first plasma; I am a total convert now. I think I will always buy plasma from now on--it's the motion and colors that are just more natural. It's tough to watch the LCDs now that I notice the LCD effects to stop motion blur and dejudder.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2s /forum/post/17033757

For media, nothing comes close to the Samsungs for now. Wireless streaming of video and music from network, most video/music formats supported and 1080p via VGA are some of the reasons I went for Samsung.

The tougher choice is plasma vs. LCD. LCDs, once thought to be the superior gaming TV, generally suffer from more input lag (especially the Samsungs, although "game mode" makes the lag reasonable). Plasma burn-in isn't a problem today unless with excessive usage. Some eyes are more susceptible to phosphor trails in the plasmas while others dislike LCD motion blur or the effects used to correct the blur.

I had to make a similar choice to you. I went with the Samsung PN50B650. I haven't done input lag tests yet, but I expect it in game mode or VGA to be only slightly slower than Panasonics and much faster than the LCDs. I have a wireless hard drive to store all my media so all my computers have access to my library, and the TV wirelessly streams content through a computer. I use 1080p via VGA for my Xbox 360 because I have an older version without HDMI and component only runs at 1080i (pannies only do 720p via VGA). I wanted a TV that could display 24p sources at 96hz--the Samsung does this well but there is a bug that slightly lightens the blacks. I feel this TV is the best of all worlds and is exceptionally inexpensive. The "buzz" that people have complained about is the exact same noise that comes out of a Mitsu LCD and is much quieter than my Samsung DLP buzz/fans. If you heard buzzing from some Pioneers, this is very similar.

I've had many LCDs but the PN50B650 is my first plasma; I am a total convert now. I think I will always buy plasma from now on--it's the motion and colors that are just more natural. It's tough to watch the LCDs now that I notice the LCD effects to stop motion blur and dejudder.

Pete thanks for your opinion,I appreciate it. What I bolded in your response,is it worse when gaming? Did you look at the Panny plasmas when you were looking for a tv? If so,why did you go with the 650?

·
Registered
93 Posts
First, when I said it's tough to watch the LCDs, it isn't really tough. All 2009 sets from Samsung and Panasonic, both LCD and plasmas, are extremely good quality. It is only because they are so good that I need to nitpick.

I haven't owned a Samsung LCD, but from Vizio and Mitsu LCDS (the latter using old Samsung screens I believe), gaming is very good. I really don't notice much motion blur on LCDs when gaming and I doubt the TV runs its tools to deal with such effects in gaming mode. Really, there isn't much a difference between LCD and plasma motion, but I feel it's smoother and more natural on plasmas. It's difficult to describe. I do notice input lag differences in certain games though.

I looked long and hard at Samsung LCDs, Samsung plasmas, and Panasonic plasmas. With a very good eye, you'll notice darker blacks on the Panasonics, especially if using a 24p source and 96hz turned on the TV. You'll notice better colors on the Samsung. The Panasonics are known to have less input lag than the Samsungs, but there should be less of a difference when compared to a Samsung plasma. The plasmas may temporarily retain some video game images that stay constant (logos, health bars, etc.) but I haven't had any image retention yet with a few couple-hour gaming sessions. I do have my image slightly darker for gaming--I thought I'd keep it lower for a while because I'm not breaking in my set

In the end, a few major differences made me choose the Samsung. I really wanted a TV that could do 96hz with blu-ray (24p)--this gets rid of the judder. For Panasonics, only the V10 in the U.S can do 96hz, the G10 can only do 48hz and causes a flicker effect. The 2009 Samsungs can do 96hz. I really wanted to do 1080p via VGA, because my early Xbox 360 has no HDMI cable and component only runs at 1080i. Only the Samsung allowed 1080p via VGA, the Panasonics limit the VGA port to 720p. The wireless streaming on the Samsungs is great if you have a lot of movies on your hard drive. The Panasonics cannot wirelessly stream. I believe the Samsungs also support more media formats than the Panasonics, but I'm having a tough time remembering which formats. As for price, the PN50B650 is $600 cheaper than a P50V10. There are a lot of smaller differences (i.e. Samsung has great menu settings) but they really didn't factor into my decision making.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
I don't think you are going to have any issues with only gaming 1-1/2 hours at a time. I've done that many, many times with the Pioneer plasmas that I've owned and a Panasonic 600U from several years ago and the whole time I played I never even saw IR.

As far as LCD goes my story is that I went front projection earlier this year and sold my Kuro 6020 since I never watched movies on it any more and bought a Samsung 650 LCD. It's a very nice TV but it has it's issues. Motion blur IS noticeable on very fast movement. I've never noticed it on the Wii with Wii Sports or any Mario games and I've not noticed any blur on Madden either. However, in MLB09 when infield throws are made I can see blurring and ghosting. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable at times. I also notice flickering on some games as well. I am running my video through my Denon AVR so I haven't done any troubleshooting yet but I didn't notice this flickering on the Pioneer plasma.

I would also consider the Samsung plasma as well. One thing I like about their plasmas is the tinted AR coating. I guess I got spoiled with the Pioneer as they tint their screens as well but that's one thing I don't like about the Panasonics Just a personal preference though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 /forum/post/17036815

I don't think you are going to have any issues with only gaming 1-1/2 hours at a time. I've done that many, many times with the Pioneer plasmas that I've owned and a Panasonic 600U from several years ago and the whole time I played I never even saw IR.

As far as LCD goes my story is that I went front projection earlier this year and sold my Kuro 6020 since I never watched movies on it any more and bought a Samsung 650 LCD. It's a very nice TV but it has it's issues. Motion blur IS noticeable on very fast movement. I've never noticed it on the Wii with Wii Sports or any Mario games and I've not noticed any blur on Madden either. However, in MLB09 when infield throws are made I can see blurring and ghosting. It's not unbearable but it is noticeable at times. I also notice flickering on some games as well. I am running my video through my Denon AVR so I haven't done any troubleshooting yet but I didn't notice this flickering on the Pioneer plasma.

I would also consider the Samsung plasma as well. One thing I like about their plasmas is the tinted AR coating. I guess I got spoiled with the Pioneer as they tint their screens as well but that's one thing I don't like about the Panasonics Just a personal preference though.

XB thanks for the info. Plasama and LCD have their own + & -'s which makes it hard. The one thing I'm not to crazy about Sansung's TV 's was that to me the color/picture looks "bright in color". Almost like fake or 3D. I'm not sure if that's how they are set up in the store? If so can you change it?

This only applies to the LCD ones since I can't recall looking at Sammy's plasma tv's.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/17038447

XB thanks for the info. Plasama and LCD have their own + & -'s which makes it hard. The one thing I'm not to crazy about Sansung's TV 's was that to me the color/picture looks "bright in color". Almost like fake or 3D. I'm not sure if that's how they are set up in the store? If so can you change it?

This only applies to the LCD ones since I can't recall looking at Sammy's plasma tv's.

I'm guessing you were probably looking at one in store. Stores generally have there LCDs set to "torch" mode--brightness and contrast on full with dynamic contrast on. Such settings make the LCD look brighter and more attractive to most consumers. With settings on this forum, you can immediately make your picture near perfect.

The fakeness you saw was the LCDs dejudder setting. Like I was talking about in my first post, the LCD attempts to remove judder with this setting. I find the resulting image to look like how a soap opera looks--odd and fake. The good knews is that Samsungs have two separate settings for motion blur and dejudder. Generally, you want the motion blur setting high and the dejudder on zero. Be careful of other LCDs--some only have one tool that controls both motion blur and dejudder, meaning either they're both on or off. With an LCD properly calibrated and right effects on and off, you'd have a tough time differentiating betwen plasma and LCD.

·
Registered
6,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB /forum/post/17038447

Pretty much all TVs are in torch mode in the stores. Personally I don't mind the overly satured colors for some games. I believe the color accuracy on my Samsung LCD is better than the 6020 that I had because of the limitations Pioneer put on the non-elites. Now black levels and deeper color is another story though.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
As the owner of a PN50A650, a LN40B650 and a 42X1, I have to say the plasmas look better overall when compared to the LCD. Don't get me wrong, the 40B650 looks fine, but the viewing angle is very restrictive, which is the case with LCDs in general, and the motion aspects leave a bit to be desired. It's quite watchable, but it lacks some of the quality the plasmas exude.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts