AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I'm on a tight budget here and I am aiming for $1300 CDN total, but I might be able to spend $1500. I am going to purchase the Pansonic RP62 and that is going to cost me somewhere around $350 CDN.

That leaves me with a Maximum of $1150 CDN for a receiver, 5 speakers and a sub.

So... I know many of you will tell me its impossible to get something in that range, but I don't have any more money to spend.

Any suggestions will be great!

Divert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody can give me some help with this?

Is there another catergory I should up this in?

Divert

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Stick with good Canadian brands that give you the most bang for the buck. Paradigm, Energy, PSB come to mind.

Paradigm has recommended systems URL= http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/systems.html]here[/url ]. The prices are more expensive in the US so you may be able to do a System 1.

FYI: In your price range (actually, even lower) you'll find a lot of 'Home Theater in a box' solutions. Stay away from these. Save the money until you can afford 'real' speakers like the ones I mentioned above.

Kal

·
Registered
404 Posts
avoid panasonic technics at all costs

they service real slow -dont do it right

well i dont want to get my blood preasure up agian

lets say its been a long 6 months trying to get a new sada10 fixed right(ive used for about 3 weeks rest of time in shop)

even though this aint a bad unit the service is beyond horrible-dont take a chance(the rat *******s tried to give me there cheapest model as a replacement i wouldnt accept it).

they finaly offered to buy it back because they cant get a replacement sada10 yet about 40 million places are selling them its only last years model

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would go for the energy take 5 ( I have it and love it). You should be able to get it for $700-$800.

For a reciever...I don't know what is out there for that price. The only one I can think of (cheap and decent) is the Marantz sr4200, it is roughly $500-$600. But that puts you too high...

Defeinatly audition the energys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in a similar situation and have been monitoring this forum for a while. I settled on the energy take 5.2 system at good guys now for $700. The 8"sub is another $300 i think (but i got the 10" $500 upgrade), and the Denon 1602 was at circuit city now for $200 which good guys price matched and gave me 18 months no payments, no interest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
arghh! sorry. take 3. they price matched my dvd player, not my $400 denon 1602 receiver. But the $700 energys and the $400 denon puts you in your budget. but still find the extra $$ for the bigger sub if you can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
but.... is that CDN $ or US $?

Divert

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Definitely look at the Acoustic Research HC6 system, which I think is as good as or better than the Energy Take 5.2 and is only $500 U.S. or less. Read the glowing reviews (especially Sound and Vision magazine) before ordering. I had it and loved it.

Plus the finish of the speakers is simply gorgeous - it looks like a super high dollar system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Divertimento:

Here are a few ideas for you. All prices are in Canadian dollars:

RECEIVERS:

Yamaha RXV-530 or HTR-5550 (these are the same receiver with a different name)

- The RXV530 is being sold at my local dealer for $599 and they now have a "No HST" sale on Yamaha. Futureshop had the HTR-5550 for $649 the last time I checked.

Denon AVR-1602

- MSRP is $770 but Audiotronic sell them for $628. My local Audiotronic retailer is now carrying them. I was able to get them down from $890 to $699 on an AVR1802 without much trouble. The ..02 models at the lower end are due to be replaced in August by the ..03's.

Onkyo TX-SR500

- I am told by my local dealer that these will be arriving in the next week or two with an MSRP of $599. Onkyo has been a great brand over the years, but with all the bad press Onkyo has been getting with this year's receivers you might want to look elsewhere.

SPEAKERS:

Please check my website at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com for a list of entry level 5.1 speaker systems in the $750 to $1500 dollar range.

Given your budget contraints, the list should probably be whittled down to:

Energy Take5+1

- MSRP around $900 but my local Audiotronic now has them for $650. Not sure if they can be beaten down from there or not.

Acoustic Research HC6

- Satellites are a little bigger than most of the competition but they look great and get good reviews. Local dealer in Halifax has them for $800.

Polk Audio RM6200

- MSRP per Polk's site is $1200. Even Futureshop (the champions of selling right at MSRP) sells these for $999 or less. A local dealer here in Halifax has them for $800.

Mirage AVS200

- Local dealer here in Halifax has them at $800 including HST.

Paradigm Cinema

- Local dealer in Halifax has them at $800.

Please Note - I am not sure if you are planning to shop in Grand Falls only, but there is an Audiotronic in St. John's on Kenmount Road. Each store carries slightly different inventory so I don't know if they will have the Denon and Energy gear.

I hope that helps,

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you can't find something that you are happy with in your price range, rather than settling for something cheaper, another thought is to spend your money on better quality front and center speakers and receiver and wait until you have a bit more for the rears and the subwoofer.

-Brett

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.