AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is at all possible to get away with using a 18 inch round dish for recption of HDTV? I am told one can have 2 dishes,one pointed at the 101 & the other at the 119 bird with a switch to change them,and not need a oval dish.

Also, what transponders are used for HDTV on the 119 bird?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes Rick it is possible...you will need an STB capable of HDTV reception and a multiswitch such as the Channel Master 6904IFD to allow the receiver to switch between the two dish LNBF's.

Channels on the 119 bird are the HDNet channel on transponder 199. (You will be able to view this free if you already have a subscription to DTV) and HBO-HD on channel 509. You can tell if you are on the correct Satellite when tuning by checking channel 400...That should have Spanish programming on that channel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Larry,

I have a DTC 100 STB built in to my 38 inch RCA HDTV set and a paid sub. to Direct TV for HBO.

I tried for several hours yesterday to aim my extra dish at the 119

sat. with no luck. Set up Az & Ele. with info I found on the net.

I pick up the 101 bird fine but cant find the 119. Not sure on what trasnponder to put in while using S meter on DTV set up screen.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
I am told one can have 2 dishes,one pointed at the 101 & the other at the 119 bird with a switch to change them,and not need a oval dish.
I use two 18" dishes, one aimed at 101 and the other at 119 deg, with the LNB's connected to a 4x4 multi-switch.

For sake of explanation, an oval dish is really like two dishes stuck together. The main difference is that it is aimed at a point which will see the two satellites, this is not the aiming point for the 119 satellite. When using two separate dishes, one has to be aimed directly at the 101 bird and the other directly at the 119 bird. These coordinates are different than those given for the oval dish.

The coordinates to do this can be found on the web e.g. http://www.dbsforums.com/azel.html

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nd4z
Also, what transponders are used for HDTV on the 119 bird?
AFAIK,

HD Net is on TP 25.

I dont know about HBO HD.

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help guys. But I still can't get any signal at all when trying to find the 119 degree bird for HDTV reception. At first I taught I might be using the wrong Az. & elev. for my location. After double checking with a 2nd source I found the info correct.

Than I taught that I selected a non active transponder in the dish pointing program. Then tried it using transponder # 25, still no luck. I can obtain a 92 signal strength every time I point back to the 101 degree bird. I am wondering now if near by trees are in the way when I go down 11 degrees elevation for the 119 degree bird.

Can I be missing something in the receiver set up. Have it set for oval dish with 2 LNB's? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
Rick:

Assuming that the zip code for Gilbert, SC is 29054 then your dish for the 119 bird should be aimed at 234.1 azimuth and 33.9 elevation.

Correct?

-Zyg-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zyg,

Yes 34x234 is what I have been using. I got a refrence on the 101 sat at 45 degrees and backed down 11 degrees lower in ele.

Than swung the az. slowly to the west 22.5 degrees. Kept slowly moving. Never found any signal unless I get on the 101 bird. the receiver dont seem to know the difference if I am looking with the 119 selected and point at the 101 bird. I taught I had it one time and it turned out to be the 101 bird coming in on the selected 119 bird.

I am getting ready to move the dish where I can see better to the west of the 101 setting.

Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
the receiver dont seem to know the difference if I am looking with the 119 selected and point at the 101 bird.
Before you set up the 119 dish, you should have set up the 101 dish and then left it alone. Then adjust the 2nd dish for 119.

Assuming no obstructions to the 119 signal;), then the following questions apply for the 119 installation:

Do you have the multi-switch connected?

Have you set up the signal meter to read only the 119 signal?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not using any switch at this time. I have the coax straight in.

My plan is to swap the coax between the 2 dishes using to seperate feeds for now and later when I have it all working get fancy with a switch.

I dont know exactly what you mean by asking if I have the signal meter set for the 119 bird. All I know to do is in the menue select

oval dish, and 2 LNB system. Than click on signal meter and chose 119 dish and transponder 25. Than move the dish where I think the sat. should be. Is this procedure correct. Or should I select thr round 18in dish option insted of the oval dish?

Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK. I understand.

Choosing the oval dish is the correct setting.

Make sure the 119 path is not obscured. If it is clear, you might in fact be getting the correct satellite - the best way to check is to see what transponders you are receiving. The 119 satellite only uses transponders 22 to 32. If you are seeing lower than 22 than it's the 101 bird. Additionally channel 376 on the 119 bird is the NASA channel. If you can see the NASA channel then you have the 119 satellite.

Hope that helps?

-Zyg-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zyg,

Thanks again for all the good suggestions, but still no luck. I played with the dish for several more hours and still no signal on the 119 bird. Tried NASA ch on the 119 ch 376 but got nothing.

I think the big high pine trees are blocking my path on the 119 bird, but because of the 45 degree look angle on the 101 bird I am able to get over them. So my next plan is to fabricate a plate to mount on my Rohn 25 ham radio tower and elevate the dish so it defiantly can see over the tall pines, then see what happens.

Had to put my Yagi up 80 ft. before I could receive OTA DTV off the Augusta,Ga. WRDW ch 31 which is about 65 miles to my s/w.

Thanks for all the help, I will keep you posted,

Rick ND4Z

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Rick,

I did this last weekend with no real problems. Here in St. Louis, the 119 satellite dish looks radically more westward than I thought it would. Can you back away some from the possibly offending trees? I have found that the signal will travel fairly great distances through RG6 without much degradation in strength. Maybe you can put a shorter, cheaper pole on the other side of your property. Just an idea. Art

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.