AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed HBO-HD and HDNET dropping out so I checked the 119 signal it was down to like 30.Anyone else getting a low signal?

·
Registered
122 Posts
119 signal is lower than others. It shouldn't be that low. I am able to get 70-80% here in MASS, with my 3 round dish set up.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Here in south Florida with the triple sat oval dish I get:

101-degrees...90

110-degrees...85

119-degrees...80

And with just a little rain cloud everything disappears. Does DirecTV adjust the beams seasonally to compensate for prevailing regional weather conditions?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I watched HDNET and HBOHD for the past few months with a signal strength in the 50's %. Then for the last 2 weeks I have completely lost the signal (0%).

I decided to adjust my satellite but was unable to get anything. Then 2 days ago I was getting 18%. Today I am getting 0% again.

I have heard of other people having recent signal gain problems but DirecTV CSRs will deny they have anything to do with that problem....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just installed my Sat-C kit the other day and 119 was also pretty low. Not in the 30's but it was around 58. All my others are above 90.

BE

·
Registered
239 Posts
No adjustments are made in the beams or sat position for seasonal weather changes. Only adjustments for the natural drift of the sat. These adjustments are not usually noticed by users. I have not noticed any changes in the signal strength here in New England.

PS: Check to see if there are new obstructions (leaves, branches etc) they may have appeared recently.

Pat

·
Registered
105 Posts
There's definitely something going on. I put in my Sat-C kit yesterday and noticed readings in the 70s on 101, in the upper 80's on 110, and in the 50's on 119. The lowest strength was on the highest xponder (32).

We adjusted the dish to see if it was a pointing issue and could not improve upon these numbers. And, my dish is up on the roof with an absolutely clear view of the satellites.

Perhaps this is one of the compromises inherent in using a single oval dish to collect signals from 3 different directions.

-Rajiv

·
Registered
239 Posts
The signal from the 119 sat is low in comparison to the other sats. Always been that way. Some times some tweaking of the tilt angle can help. I stopped using the oval dish due to structural changes due to aging of the plastic of the LNB mount. So I installed two 76 cm dishes with much improved signals on both sats and very high immunity to rain/snow fade. No fade on the 101 sat and a little on the 119 sat. I'm using the oval dish right now for the 110 sat and will go to a 76 cm dish when more programing is available on that sat. For now the oval is ok for single sat operation.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks for your responses, patjoy. I lost all reception a week ago and again this week and found that reception was restored to my DTC100 only by physically unplugging it from its UPS power source and plugging it back in.

You observations re: oval dish materials instability are most interesting. After a slightly warmer than normal Fall/Winter/Spring here our Summer heat is just starting to kick-in. I realigned the dish recently and saw some improvement on signal levels that seemed to have suddenly declined. Perhaps the heat warped the LNBs, dish and/or mounting hardware?

Well, as I write this the signal just went south again...there's a raincloud down range...and my hard reboot by unplugging isn't working. But...now the signal's back up! Time to look into a bigger dish or multiple dishes.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Dave, I installed two 76 cm dishes made by Winegard. They are all metal and very rugged and rust free after a year in use. Best part they only cost $50. Stark electronics has them and they ship UPS. All hardware is included, mounts etc. You already have the LNBs and switch so for about $100 or $150 you can have a set up that almost completely eliminates rain fade. I still get some on the 119 sat, but 101 sat is rock solid all the time. They do take up some room, so wify factor is needs to be passed.

Pat

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've never had a great 119 signal strength, but it has recently dropped from the usual 60's down to 20-45 with frequent drop-outs and "searching for satellite" messages. Spent a few hours today tweaking dish position with no improvement. Sat A still 90's.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Just checking mine today with a strength of 37 on HDNET. I didn't tweak the dish and based on the lack of success reported here I guess I will leave it alone.

I noticed that the other transponders on Sat B are higher (50s) than the HDNET transponder.

Sounds like something is getting out of whack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.