AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To update my previous post, I spoke to the dealer with the 11HT and they have three in stock. They say that due to popular demand they aren't opening any to demo because they think they will sell them within a day or two and want to sell off their 10HT demo unit first. According to the salesman there is almost no difference between the 10HT and 11HT, although when pushed on this issue, he admitted he has never seen the 11HT.

All of the other Sony dealers in my area apparently have too many 10HTs in stock and, therefore,aren't bringing in the 11Ht until they reduce 10HT stock.

Hopefully someone has an opportunity to demo the 11HT and give us their impressions.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Knuck,

There really hasn't been much written about the 11HT. I have not been able to find a review from a reliable and knowledgeable source.

Would you mind posting the retailer and their price. I might get them to send one to my father in Winnipeg. And if you have a look at please post some info here!

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
A dealer I use in Dallas has a few in stock and has one on display. I thought the picture was much sharper and had much better contrast than the 10HT. Also, it seemed very quiet.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Mike,

Don't do this to us! Telling us you saw the 11HT and then folowing up with just one or two sentences is torture!

Please go back with a stack of DVDs, a digital camera, and spend all day demoing the unit. Then write a super-detailed review and post it here where we can read it with frenzied mouse-clicks.

Ok maybe that's a bit dramatic. But please be kind and give us some juicy details!

-dave

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mjcumming:

The store is called A&B Sound. It is not a store I recommend but the only one with stock.

Mike:

Are you able to comment on how it compares with the Sanyo XP60.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Knuck,

Let us know if you get a chance to check out the 11HT. I know A&B sound - they have a store in Winnipeg. They have a so-so reputation. Did you happen to get a price quote?

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll try to get back to the store in the next couple of days and post some more information. I'm new at this and pretty naive, so I just looked at the 11HT picture and saw I liked it better than the 10HT. Let me know specifically what you want me to look for, and I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Can you compare the 2 side by side or are you just remembering how the 10HT looked?

Bring some DVDs with a wide range of images...including some with super fine detail (fifth element) some non-anamorphic (titanic) and some with dark scenes like dark city or pitch black.

Try to get them to go in with a progressive-scan input if they aren't already. Let us know what type of connection to the dvd player (s video or 480I component or 480P component which is best). If you can tell us what type of screen, the approximate size of the screen and how far away you're sitting to get a good image. Also, let us know what the improvement is in the "screen door" effect if any.

Or just have fun.

dave http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Mike, walk up to the screen (within 2ft.) when the projector is on and look at the pixels! Are they lined up in rows? or are they staggered? (delta configuration).

Thanks much,

Tom

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone seen the 11HT in stores yet and have any opinions. Just read an add for a local retailer who claims it is in stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went back and took another look at the 11HT. I couldn't monopolize too much time with it, because the store was pretty crowded. I was able to watch Directv, DirectvHD and a few DVDs (Vertical Limit and Independence Day played on a Sony 9000). The image was projected on a 100 inch Greyhawk screen, and the seating in the room was about 15 feet from the screen. I could not compare it side by side with a 10HT, but I did go to one store and look at a 10HT just before I looked at the 11HT. As I said before, I liked the overall picture quality of the 11 more than the 10. The blacks were noticeably blacker and the colors were richer. Overall the picture had a more three dimensional feel to it (for example, when I would look at the side of someone's head against the background). The pixels were in a straight row, and were not staggered. I actually thought there was more screen door effect on the 11 than on the 10, although neither was bad. Very dark scenes looked similar to the 10HT in that images tended to blend together. There were a few funny artifacts, such as in one scene in Independence Day where there was a television in the background that had an all blue screen and the blue image seemed to pulsate between various shades of blue. Also, one scene on Directv showed bleachers in an arena in the background and they had a wavy image. Notwithstanding all of that, because of the better blacks and richer colors, I thought the overall image was better than the 10HT, which I liked. Also, the Directv HD channels, 199 and 509, looked absolutely wonderful. By the way, of the four 11HTs my dealer had, one had one dead pixel. Oh: One other difference from the 10HT. The light that shows the power is on has been changed from orange to blue. :)

If anyone has any specific questions, I am sure I can pass them on to my dealer.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Mike,

Did your dealer quote a price?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aaron: I've sent you an email.

The price (if you are buying a few other items) quoted was around $6500. I think if you just want the projector, the price will be higher--at least until they get them in greater quantity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.