AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice one difference: They claim an improved contrast ratio due to enhanced optics. This is significant. One possible downside to enhanced optics would also be a more visible "screendoor".

Of even more significance to an admitted minority of users would be the ability to bypass the built-in DRC line doubler and use either a quality external scaler or a HTPC to drive the panels at the native 1366X768 resolution via the RGB inputs. Although I have not yet seen the DRC on the VPL-VW10HT (or 11HT) in operation, I have found the DRC implementation on other Sony products underwhelming (admittedly, a HTPC can't be matched by anything else, it's a high standard).

The omission of DRC bypass capability is the most significant shortcoming of the existing VPL-VW10HT, IMHO. The addition of this feature to the VPL-VW11HT would make this projector the preferred choice for (relatively) inexpensive Home Theater applications. This 16:9 WXGA projector should then outperform more expensive combinations of conventional 4:3 XGA projectors and add-on ISCO/Panamorph lenses, at least in widescreen mode.

Waiting to see if Sony got it right this time...

Gary

[This message has been edited by Gary McCoy (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Cameron, contrast ratio, longer bulb life, advanced filtering system to stop dust infiltration and the msrp has not gone up, it's the same as the 10HT and 3:2 pull down which the 10HT does not do.

I have heard the new air filter is supposed to be electrostatic, if true, this would be a welcome feature.

[This message has been edited by Tom Bley (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wait a second. The line that reads "16:9 RGB Acceptance. Enables projection of the 16:9 RGB signal: fH 45.0kHZ, fV 56.0Hz sync N/N, Dot Clock 79.899 MHZ."

Does this translate to 1366x768 support?

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
OK. Thanks guys for the clarification.

I hope that it is much better than the 10HT. I am actually very happy with what Sony has done for the HT market with their 10HT projector. It isn't the choice for me, but I would happily recommend it to my friends who aren't as picky as me and who do not want to have to tweak as much as I will. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Hi Spaniard, you double posted. You can edit you previous post by clicking the edit button, anyway, I believe the zoom range of the 11HT is the same as the 10HT. You can download PJ Calc from the Sony web site to find out min and max projector distance for a given screen size.

I much prefer the zoom on my Sony 400 lcd. The 10HT/11HT makes it much harder for me to upgrade since I would have to mount the projector 2 feet closer than my current setup. Buhl also makes a long throw lens for the Sony 10HT but, it's expensive. I have also heard that you can buy the 400q lens and use it on the 10HT without problems, it's only $900 compared to the $1,500 msrp for the Buhl long throw lens.

Tom

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
They still aren't stating the contrast explicitly. That is not a good sign. It is hard to get a good idea of what "double" means for hard numbers. It could mean anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 as far as I am concerned.

It sounds to me to be about as good as a service menu calibrated 10HT which isn't bad.

It will have 1366*768 support but with a 79MHz dot clock it might not be able to do 72Hz at that res.

My guess is this guy will be a lot smaller and user friendly but the Sanyo will have a better picture.

Just a guess. We will all just have to wait and see.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Gosh from the literature there I can't see anything that would make it better than a 10HT.

Cameron

------------------

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The Japanese press releases said the contrast ratio of the 11HT is triple that of the 10HT; American says almost double. Take your pick. Unofficially, Sony USA speced the 10HT's contrast ratio at 250:1 so you get somewhere between 500:1 and 750:1 depending on the press release you prefer

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Robert,

Where did you dig the 250:1 number from?

Anyway, my fearless prediction is that the 10HT will do 450:1 for its cooler color temps and 300:1 for the more 6500K temps.

Unfortuneately, I doubt that they will make the same mistake with 11HT that they made with 10HT. I'll bet that they come pretty maxed out straight from the factory. The room for improvement will always be there but not as much as it was with the 10HT.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
We should stop speculating the contrast ratio (even if it comes from Sony) and wait until the real deal!

Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
What exactly does double the contrast mean anyway in real world terms? I mean how much darker are the blacks going to be if the contrast ratio is doubled? 10% 50%? Is a double contrast ratio while maintaining 1000 lumens mean the black level would be better,worse, or the same as a 10HT and a greyhawk screen compared to the 11HT on a white screen? Should I assume the white level will be the same?

·
Registered
7,288 Posts
EHuff, with a gray screen, the contrast issue is being put to bed. I am still harping about a digital connection though. There is an article that CEA has adopted IEEE1394/5C as a digital interface for DTV. Look on the Widescreenreview.com site. This is a major move by the CEA. It's already on Sony's new hdtv sets. There is another article in the most current issue of The Perfect Vision on the subject, it is a major article, not just a few lines. Like it or not, I hear the whistle of that train blowing. Anyone who buys a projector right now without a digital connection should accept that in a few years, Hollywood may render it unable to display hdtv signals.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I tweaked a 10HT, ala Munsil, and then measured a CR of 200:1, full on/off. Blacks still aren't black enough for me. I have another projo I measured at 400:1, and it's still not good enough, but close. I'm hoping to see the Sanyo 21 soon (advertised at 700:1).

------------------

Steve

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Paulo,

Where did you get the 450:1 from? Isn't that about triple what the 10HT measures at (150:1)? I thought the 11HT was supposed to "almost double" the contrast (meaning < 300:1).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.