AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Isn't the 11ht also 1000 lumens? That is indeed the 11vht.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
224 Posts
Perhaps so. I thought I had read something about the lumens being increased, but I'm probably wrong about that. If the unit is selling for $4200 in Japan, I would expect that deep discounters might sell it here for as low as $5,000. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear a review of a calibrated unit to decide if it is worth the price increase over the (rapidly falling) price of the 10HT - or whether it is as good as or better than the PLV-60.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the 11HT is rated at 1000 ANSI as well, just like the 10HT, but the longetivity of the lamp is longer though.

This is definitely the new 11HT selling for this price. As a matter of fact, there are several stores in Japan selling this PJ for this price. Paste this URL into Babelfish and check out for yourself:
http://kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.a...HT#ShopRanking

The 10HT, on the other hand, is selling street at around 430,00 yen, or less than $3,500.

In other words, forget Hong Kong. Rather, buy a plane ticket to Japan for the money you are going to save, buy the PJ at site after physical/performance inspection (dead pixels/green fog), and enjoy some vacation at the same time. The Akihabara District in Tokyo with its insanely huge selection of electronics would make any frequent visitor to this forum to go nuts, guaranteed!

Powerbuy?

·
Registered
224 Posts
At $4200? Count me in. I wonder what the custom restrictions are in bringing on of these (or several) over? It would probably be possible to negotiate a group sale of these for a small discount and possibly pay for the trip. An HT enthusiast could gather money from a number of individuals and bring them all back a projector for $4500 ea. and pay for a vacation for 2.

Isn't that the type of thing the Japanese did when the Yen was high in the late 80s and the dollar depressed?

[This message has been edited by lmo (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
848 Posts
1. If these are Japanese units, aren't there warranty issues?

2. It says 750p/1125i. Does that automatically mean it does 720p and 1080i?

3. I thought there was an AVS Forum member who regularly brokers such equipment. I think I last saw a post int the HDTV Recorders forum. Perhaps that person would like to help out anyone interested.

4. Or if we're talking PowerBuy (assuming the first two issues are resolved favorably), shouldn't we rely on our AVS hosts conduct it?

But #1 (for the munsil faq issues: stuck pixels, dust blobs, hot spots) and #2 are the most important to me.

-yogaman

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hejsan NiToNi,

The 10HT sells for U$3600 here in Hong Kong. Bearing in mind that the cost of living in HK is "only" very expensive, not extremely ridiculous expensive as Tokyo, a weekend AV shopping in HK will turn out cheaper in the end, compare to doing the same in Tokyo. This will be the case as long as the unit has been a few months on the market. All imports drops dramatically in price here in HK after a few months. At the moment the 11HT sells for U$6000 (pre orders). This means the $4200 you found the unit for is a real bargain. Do you have any experience with ordering direct from Japan? Do they offer world wide warranties?

------------------

BR /// Rob

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's interesting that the Hong Kong ebay guy is beating the Hong Kong price on the 11HT but not on the 10HT. In any case, none of this talk is intended to circumvent anyone from buying from our AVS hosts (who are most gracious in providing this site). I'm just looking for the best deal on the best projector - and it sounds like overseas may be that avenue. If there is enough interest in the 11HT or a close out 10HT powerbuy, perhaps we can find a way to do it via an overseas trip. I'd certainly be interested in getting a 11HT for $4,200 + shipping, world wide warranty or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The VPL-VW11HT has been on sale out here in Tokyo since 1st July. There is a month long waiting list at most shops so I would think twice before saying sayonara to the wife & kids just before catching your plane on a Friday evening.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm sure it's like anything else; once the initial demand backs off, there will be price breaks and availability won't be a big issue.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Have I missed something? Has anyone even seen this projector? Those who seem committed to buying this projector sight unseen on what basis are you make your decision? Just curious--

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leckian:
Have I missed something? Has anyone even seen this projector? Those who seem committed to buying this projector sight unseen on what basis are you make your decision? Just curious--

Instincts! Seriously though, I would be surprise if the 11HT doesn't exceed the Sanyo PLV-60 performance. If that's not the case, I guess Sony would stop delivering panels to Sanyo. For $4200, it can't be anything else then a bargain!

------------------

BR /// Rob

[This message has been edited by bmwrob (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The 11HT is supposed to have "next generation" panels which could well mean they have staggered the pixels like they did on the panels used in the 400Q. If so, it would have considerably less screen door than the PLV 60. Combined with the ease of use features and the (allegedly) improved on-board electronics and reduced dust problem, and this would be a really fine projector.

As these are now showing up over here, I would expect some reviews shortly. If the reviews are good, I'd be interested in getting in on a group purchase.

Dan Houck

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can confirm the 4200 price for the 11HT since my friend just ordered one at a local store for 530,000 yen (Nippombashi, Osaka). However its on a per order basis and you can check the equipment in their demo room before you purchase

However, the voltage is 100V so I'm not sure if you can use this in the US.

regards,

Darius

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Say it isn't so! Dan Houck, did you say that you are finally considering taking the plunge?

If so, congratulations! You are going to have a blast. You know, we all take this hobby way too seriously, but it really is a lot of fun when you get away from the forum and enjoy your home theater with some guests and a bottle of wine.

Anyway, welcome aboard! This is truly a big day http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif .

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
Well, Milori, you will see me getting off the fence as well. I like the 10ht and an improved version at that price would certainly knock me off the fence. Seems like Sony has addressed the dust issues and improved contrast. I think Sony knows the limitations of it's panels which is why brightness has not been increased. I consider that a good thing. With the bulb life on the 11ht, hell, I can afford to watch television on it!

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

[This message has been edited by Bulldogger (edited 07-05-2001).]

·
Registered
224 Posts
If we could resolve the power supply/warranty questions, as well as any import duty questions before that time, I would be very interested.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The units bought in Japan would be covered by Sony of Japan's warranty and not be honored by Sony of US which is a separate company. The same would hold true for Hong Kong units which would carry warranties from Sony of (Asia, Hong Kong, China, Far East, Japan?) and not be honored by Sony of US.

The bigger question, it seems to me, is whether Sony of US would refuse to repair these units even if an owner were willing to pay for the cost of repairs since they were not Sony of US products.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd be interested to see what the export duties are on this. I've heard you'll pay 6-8% just on duties. At 7% thats another $315 on $4,500. If I had to choose between a non-warranteed machine with the wrong voltage for $4,815 or a fully supported projector from a US distributor for say $5,200 shipped, I'm not sure I would jump over to Asia without hesitation.

There is also the issue of shipping from the person who "powerbuys" for us. That would add another $50 or so, right?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.