AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as an FYI, there is a company from Hong Kong on ebay which has been selling 10HT's for quite some time with very good feedback (the price has dropped to $3950 + $125 shipping). His auction also indicated that he would be selling 11HT's. I emailed him and asked him about his return policy on the 10HT's, and he indicated he would swap out units if there are dead pixel/fog problems. He also indicated that he was taking preorders for the 11HT for mid-July shipment. The price: 5650.00 + 125.00. He indicated availability was small and that the first round pre-order was filled. I'm posting this information because I know there's A LOT of interest in this unit, and it is rumored that the unit will only be available stateside from CIS at list price. I don't endorse this individual and have not dealt with him, but I'm sure that there will be some interest in the 11HT at this price.

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
I have seen quite a few post about that guy. All have been good. Apparently he has been selling for quite some time. But another dealer on ebay warned that there are other fees in addition to his price. Some sort of taxes imposed upon the sale by his country?, that added 8% to the price of his units. You may want to double check that with him. The other dealer may just be blowing smoke.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Hong Kong dealer has addressed that directly in his new ads, and assures buyers that there is no tax or duty, offering a full refund on the unit if any duty is imposed. This is for US purchases, although he indicates there is an import duty into Canada. Given that he has been met with good results (he has excellent feedback on Ebay and claims to have sold about 80 10ht units directly) this may be an excellent way to get an 11ht soon and at a very good price.

[This message has been edited by lmo (edited 07-04-2001).]

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
I think that is a great way to get an 11HT.

However, the 10HT's sold overseas only had a 1 year warranty while the 10HT's sold in the US had a 3 year warranty. My guess is that the 11HT would be similar. Also if CIS gets too pissed-off, they might make everyone who gets one in the US have to go through them if they want any warranty at all.

Merely speculation on my part; but, something to think about.

-Mr. Wigggles

------------------

The Mothership is now boarding.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's an interesting question. I was assured that the 10ht came with the warranty, but I didn't check to see if it was 3 yrs or 1 yr. I'll check on that. Even if it is a 1 yr warranty, it might not be a bad trade off. From things I've read, it sounds like most of the problems with these units are production problems, e.g. bad LCD panels, etc. Although a 3 yr warranty has some inherent value, I think a 1 yr warranty might be sufficient if there is quick availablity and cost is significantly less than stateside. In any case, if the units are sold with a warranty, Sony is going to have to honor that warranty no matter what kind of a stink the CIS dealers put up (sounds like the CIS dealers are only going to have exclusive distribution rights at the beginning, so this may only be important to early adopters).

·
Premium Member
7,274 Posts
Sony is into mass production. That CIS stuff is not going to last very long. Likely just long enough for them to clear the 10vht and ramp up production of the new model.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.