AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a little stock in TI so I keep up on the news about them. This caught my eye. Go to http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nf/2001...c/12795_1.html to see the whole story. To quote:

"Texas Instruments said the DMD chip -- a switch with an array of more than 1.3 million hinged, microscopic mirrors -- and DLP technology have enabled the development of the world's brightest projectors -- 12,000 lumens from a 4.5-pound projector. . . Meanwhile, other DLP projectors are on the way from Hitachi, Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Marantz, DWIN and others, according to McMurray."

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
12,000 lumens ?!, that's about 26 times brighter than the new Plus piano pj.

I tell you, you'll have to be really carefull with this kind of lumen light, it's like looking at the sun, you'll have to wear sunglasses and rub sun screen lotion all over your body.

What about heat ? 12,000 lumens must produce a lot of heat...

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes... 12,000 lumens sounds like a lot, but when you are shooting onto very large screens it is not a lot, after all screen area increases geometrically. I have no doubt they can make 12,000 lumens, though. They are using the same lamphouses as commercial film projectors.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
This is the rated output for the Movie theater versions of DLP PJ's. These are 3 chip $100,000 PJ's that will project on a screen 15 feet high and 35 feet wide. You will need that kind of light output to get the required 16 ft lamberts onto a screen that big.

Lee

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I think its a typo with a 4.5 lb. projector.

------------------

Ken Elliott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.