AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can pick up 1000 feet of 12/3 Electrical wire(romax) for a good price?

thanks!!!!

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Go to a wholesale supply house. They don't always like to sell to consumers these days but a 1000 foot roll is a wholesale purchase.

Don't count out Lowes and Home Depot either. They still may be cheaper. Some wholesale houses charge retail price to unlicensed consumers. It's not fair IMO but perfectly legal.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
When I wired the basement (1250 feet fo 12/2) I found the best prices locally were at HD. Strangely, they were a lot cheaper than Lowes (IME, the two usually are pretty close).

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I also found that the price per foot really didn't change much when buying smaller amounts. And why that much 12/3? Couldn't you use 12/2 for some of what you are doing?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
You may already know this, but 12/2 has 3 wires (ground, line and neutral and 12/3 has 4 wires (ground, line, neutral and traveller).

CJ

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/14205073

You may already know this, but 12/2 has 3 wires (ground, line and neutral and 12/3 has 4 wires (ground, line, neutral and traveller).

CJ

I do know that. That's why I was wondering why for a basement project someone would need that move traveler wire (the "3" in 12/3). I think I used perhaps 100'.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14205113

I do know that. That's why I was wondering why for a basement project someone would need that move traveler wire (the "3" in 12/3). I think I used perhaps 100'.

I know you knew that, I was wondering if the OP knew that!

CJ

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/14205149

I know you knew that, I was wondering if the OP knew that!

CJ

You know, I don't know. Good question.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Besides, 12/3 is a bear to work with, I was surprised how much "stiffer" it is than 12/2, The 12/3 I got from HD was twisted and snaking that thru joists and around bends was "fun", while the 12/2 was flat and workability similar as 14/2.

Unless he's running 240V all over (why is another q) or planning lots of 20A isolated ground receptacles strange that much is needed.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJO /forum/post/14205073

CJ

There are two industry conventions used here:

For in-wall wire such as Romex, BX, MC, the gorund is not counted. So 12/2 means two insulated wires plus ground.

For cord products, the ground is counted so a 12/2 piece of cord only has two wires.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would try something like craigslist.

I got my 12/2 romex for about half what HD wanted.

Of course it was only a 250ft roll

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts