AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased 12 Bose 901 series 4 speakers (late 1970s early 1980s) from a rollerskating rink that was upgrading their sound system. Two of the 12 speakers work okay but the rest barely work. The sound is very crackly and muted. I assume this is because the surround foam has disintegrated. My question to the experts out there: should I buy a surround kit for the speakers to do myself and then try selling them? Or should I leave them alone and try to sell them as is? Does anyone know the value of these speakers as is or resurrounded? I do not have the pedestals and I do not have the equalizers. The bodies themselves look pretty good as well as the screens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParttimeSaint  /t/1521729/12-bose-901-series-iv-speakers/0_100#post_24459517

I recently purchased 12 Bose 901 series 4 speakers (late 1970s early 1980s) from a rollerskating rink that was upgrading their sound system. Two of the 12 speakers work okay but the rest barely work. The sound is very crackly and muted. I assume this is because the surround foam has disintegrated. My question to the experts out there: should I buy a surround kit for the speakers to do myself and then try selling them? Or should I leave them alone and try to sell them as is? Does anyone know the value of these speakers as is or resurrounded? I do not have the pedestals and I do not have the equalizers. The bodies themselves look pretty good as well as the screens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

"Crackly" does not sound like mere foam disintegration.  However, since the speakers are all wired in series, it could well be that one bad speaker per unit could cause your problem.  To know what would be best to do would depend on more information.  You might want to open up a couple of the malfunctioning units and determine how many of the drivers are malfunctioning, and how many of the drivers need new foam.  Be careful testing individual drivers, as they are about 1 ohm each.

As for what will work best for you, it all depends on how much people in your area are willing to pay for them as-is, and how much they will pay in your area for them repaired. Shipping can eat into the price for selling far from home, though you can look at eBay at completed listings for those speakers, paying careful attention to condition and selling prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ebay. Also you need the equalizer for 901's to have "any" sound quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts