AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to bounce this off of you guys, advice is welcome because I need it.

In 2 weeks I will be moving and setting up the new HT room. I have done all the video and audio pre-wiring already and will be setting the projector (Sony 11HT) 12.5ft away from the front wall. The challenge here is the ceiling which is 12' high (144"). The screen I will be using is a Stewart Firehawk 92" which is 45" x 80" without the 3" border accounted for, or 51" x 86" with the border.

My dilemma here is how high to mount the screen from the floor, how long of an extension pole to use for the projector mount, and how much keystoning correction I should use. (My initial thought was to mount the screen 40" off the ground)...

The two exteremes are as follows....

1- Use no keystone correction but resort to an extension pole of 56-60" (very long pole/mount).

2- Use maximum keystone correction and end up with a much shorter mount/pole for the projector.

Of course, I could also play around with the third variable which is the screen height. What about the off-axis reflectivity of the Stewart Firehawk screen?

What are your thoughts on this...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Well I certainly wouldn't mount the screen any higher... so a table mount is out of the question??? The digital Keystone is not going to correct it all so either way you are looking at a pretty long pole. I would be tempted to use some kind of a 4 chain swag arrangement that you could winch back up snug to the ceiling... I have seen one inventive AVS member with pictures of a winch http://www.mooneyass.com/gallery/pjlift

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
My personal opinion is to avoid using digital keystoning at all costs. Not only is the picture compromised because the image has to be rescaled to fit the new number of active pixels, but focus wouldn't be uniform over the entire screen. The more digital keystoning you need to use, the worse the focus variation would be.

If I were you I'd go with the long extension. That's just me, though. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have 12' sloped ceilings and have come to the realization that I am just going to have to have about a 60" extension pole for my setup because I definately did not want to use any digital keystoning. :cool:

·
Registered
165 Posts
blitzkreig's question about a possible table mount is still valid - what's your room size - can you place the PJ btween seats or in front of you?

As has been pointed out, Digital Keystoning must be avoided.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have seen some pretty sweet under/in table mounts used for CRT projectors,... more like a nice furniture coffee table than anything. I would likely go to a custom woodworking place (for me in a nice Teak) with a lot of positive WAF involvement than a DIY but what ever.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Client, what pj are you using in your setup?
Neil, I am waiting to purchase an HS10 but now that I see a new AVS sponsor (banner at top) may have some in stock my wait might not be too much longer. My wife did not take to kindly to my plan to mount it on a "long stick hanging from the bottom of my ceiling" as she put it; but after seeing a friends installation (48" extension pole) she was a bit more receptive to the idea. His projector (plv-60), mount, extension pole and ceiling are all the same color and it really isn't as obtrusive as I thought I would be. But it does depend on the specifics of your room I guess. Have fun setting up the new room!

ps Enjoyed your 11HT screenshots :cool:

Regards,

Anthony

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 3 boys of my own and if I give you the list of damage to my HTgear that has been done over the years, you will quickly understand why I want to ceiling mount this thing. Here is the layout of the room...
http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1/layout/layout.jpg

The room is 12' wide and 15' long. The projector will be mounted around the 13' mark.

·
Registered
761 Posts
My daughter could operate the VCR before she was 3, even tape her own cartoons using the remote (of course now she is 18 she can't seem to but that is a whole different story). But yes Boys are different as my son did manage to wedge a lego into a VCR and he was nearly 10... (but now he is 15 he seems to HOG the HS10 for computer games). Suggest you might consider a table with doors on the front (and a lock).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.