Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for you all.

I ran speaker wire for my theatre this past weekend and I used a fairly decent 12 gauge speaker wire for everything, including the runs to my subs. Now I realize that the connections on the receiver and the subs need to be RCA. How the heck do I attach RCA connectors to standard 12 gauge two strand speaker wire? Help...

Thanks

Ron

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
You need a different type of cable for the subwoofer line-level input. Speaker wire will work (kind of, anyway) with the right connectors, but the sub will probably have hum and other noise problems because the speaker wire is not shielded.

Probably the cheapest and easiest way to go would be to go to RS/BB/CC and get a long enough video cable with RCA ends. Another alternative is to use RG-6 or RG-59 ("cable tv wire") with F connector to RCA connector adapters. It's all available at your local Radio Shack, et al.

It does not need to be a special "subwoofer" cable, nor does it need to cost a fortune.

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Any chance you can pull some new sub cabling using the speaker wire you ran? As recommended, RG6 or RG59, with F to RCA adapters on the ends will work very well and can be had quite cheaply (Home Depot bargain bin, even).

·
Registered
742 Posts
I got a Radio Shack Gold 13' subwoofer cable for $4.86 plus shipping at www.partsexpress.com (I got it shipped free because I bought over $99 of stuff but that's another story.) It's very high quality with gold-plated ends, thick cable and very solid. Radio Shack stopped selling their own branded gear and started with Monster.

For some reason, I cannot reach the www.partsexpress.com website but it should be back up soon.

·
Registered
21,369 Posts
The bonus question would be...

What is the make/model of the sub and does it have line level inputs?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
The bonus question would be...

What is the make/model of the sub and does it have line level inputs?
Wouldn't a powered subwoofer with RCA jacks by definition have line level inputs?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurbin
Wouldn't a powered subwoofer with RCA jacks by definition have line level inputs?
Yes, it would. There's no such thing as a passive sub with RCA phono jacks on it. ;)

Your question sounded like a rhetorical one, but I answered it anyway in case some newbies were confused about the answer. :)

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdurbin
Perhaps Ratman meant to say speaker-level inputs? Otherwise, I'm not sure what he's asking. But I think he's hinting at using a speaker-level connection. Which is something I'd try and avoid unless there is no other option.

Most powered subs do have speaker level inputs, but some do not, btw.

·
Registered
21,369 Posts
Yep... had to re-read the OP three more times! My bad...

So.. I guess the question he's asking is, "can he put RCA connectors in 12awg speaker wire"?

So, with that cleared up:

Could it be done? Yes

Should it be done? No

Best option is to run the proper cable(s). Post #3 has the right idea.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
Perhaps Ratman meant to say speaker-level inputs? Otherwise, I'm not sure what he's asking. But I think he's hinting at using a speaker-level connection. Which is something I'd try and avoid unless there is no other option.

Most powered subs do have speaker level inputs, but some do not, btw.
Hmmmm.....exactly how are you gonna properly connect that speaker level input from the processor's LFE (sub) output?? Seems to me that you'd have a trifle of a gain problem driving a speaker level input with a line level output.... :D

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M NEWMAN
Hmmmm.....exactly how are you gonna properly connect that speaker level input from the processor's LFE (sub) output?? Seems to me that you'd have a trifle of a gain problem driving a speaker level input with a line level output.... :D
you'd use speaker-level connections and set the receiver up with NO SUB.

smart-ass

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M NEWMAN
Well ok, smartey-pants. :rolleyes:

You'd use speaker-level connections and set the receiver up as having NO SUB. As I said it's an option that should only be used as a last resort.

But that's what Ratman was hinting at doing.

·
Registered
21,369 Posts
Nah... sorry. I wasn't. I had mis-read the OP as stated in Post #9.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
Well ok, smartey-pants. :rolleyes:

You'd use speaker-level connections and set the receiver up as having NO SUB. As I said it's an option that should only be used as a last resort.

But that's what Ratman was hinting at doing.

Just yankin' your chain a bit there...don't get too upset. ;)

Of course, if he only had 6" or smaller front R & L speakers, the "no sub" configuration wouldn't work either, becasue you'd be forced to set the R & L to "large", then risking blowing them during large peaks. Not to mention possible phasing/cancellation issues, etc. So, not only is it a last resort, but a potentially "just forget it - it wont work" scenario too. :)

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
I agree it's not ideal, but if the op absolutely can't run new and proper cable, then he has only 2 options:

1. Solder RCA ends on and hope that there isn't a noise problem.

2. Use speaker-level connections for the sub which, yes, would mean running the front speakers as LARGE or crossing them off the sub's speaker-level outputs (which probably isn't an option because it would mean even more wiring). It's actually not clear exactly how much 12gauge the op has going to each sub. If it's just one run of wire, then he could still do stereo subs with the receiver set up as NO SUB.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Actually, if you really wanted to push the possiblities, you could hook up a cheap little $50 used amp (or old receiver lying around) to the LFE output, then send that down the 12awg wire to the speaker level inputs, adjust gain accordingly and viola! You have bass with no hum. Ridiculous configuration and a waste of an amp, but hey, it would work right, and your fronts & xover can be set up properly. :)

·
Registered
16,827 Posts
:D

If he has unused channels in his receiver (Zone2), he could split and loop his LFE output back into an unused input and assign that input to Zone2. Then use his Surround2/Zone2 speaker-level connections for the sub.

:eek:

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Quote:
:D

If he has unused channels in his receiver (Zone2), he could split and loop his LFE output back into an unused input and assign that input to Zone2. Then use his Surround2/Zone2 speaker-level connections for the sub.

:eek:
Not unless he could find a way to make his zone 2 magically track the main zone's volume setting. It would suck to constantly have to go back and forth to set gain structure for zone 1 and 2. I like the creative thinking though. :cool:

Now, if he can set the z2 volume to fixed, full gain output, set a turn on preset to always recall the z2 input that the LFE is wired into and establish the reference gain at the sub, then it could work. Lots to juggle though. A B&K rec could do this....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been out of town, just checking back in. Wow...got all I needed from this thread. I am going to.... (drum roll)....

Run new speaker wire with the wire I already pulled. In fact, Fry's had some nice RCA sub cabling in 30 foot lengths at a good price. I ran them, hooked them up, and the subs sound great. I just used the extra Monster wire I had run to bi-wire the front speakers.

Thanks for all the help...

PS...I posted this question today, but thought I would ask thoses of you reading this thread as well...

How do you switch from Bipole to Dipole on Monitor Audio Sfx's? There is no switch per-se. I know you simply attach the wires differently , but can't find a manual to know how for sure.

Happy new years to all.

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.