AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this falls under the category of a really stupid question but is there any reason (other than a couple of bucks) why you wouldn't run the thickest gauge wire possible when prewiring for speakers?

Gary

And why wouldn't you run 12-4 wire so you have an extra set for future applications? or would that be overkill?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Price. There is no other reason. I would if I had it to do over.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
In fact, many professional installers use 4-wire in-wall cables even when only 2 wires are needed. Simple economics of bulk purchase. And it will never hurt.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. I just ordered 500 feet of 12-2 wire from Parts Express.

Hope that's enough :)

G

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was about to order some Monster 12-2 wire from summitsource.com ($1.25/ft). I need about 350 feet so I'm not going to double that, just more than I want to spend. But, does anyone have an opinion on bi-wiring with 14/4 vs normal wiring with 12/2? Do most speakers (I'm wiring for a 7.1 system and don't have a single speaker for it yet) have bi-wiring capability?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff, Do a search for bi-wiring. I have come across many threads regarding this topic. Also, I made decision to buy cheaper wire after reading many of the threads on speaker wire. At $.20 a foot I will probably make two runs of 12-2 to each speaker location.

Gary

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
A lot of us here have used the 12-2 in-wall rated stuff from Home Depot - a lot of the 'audiophile ears' around here seem to like the stuff, and it's only ~20 cents/foot.

Because of the 50-60' distance for each speaker, I bi-wired two runs of it for each of the front speakers, even though my fronts don't all allow for bi-wiring. Doubling up 12 gauge gets you down to about 9 gauge.

Kal

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Which 12 guage home depot wire is 20 cents? The 12 gage wire I got from home depot was 47 cents, which was cheap, but a lot more than I was expecting....

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I mentioned 20 cents for 12-2 from Home Depot... but maybe my math was wrong as I started off with Canadian values... here goes:

Up here at Home Depot I paid $1 Cdn for 1 meter of 12-2 in-wall speaker wire.

There's 3.3 feet in a meter.

So the price per foot is 1/3.3 = roughtly 30 cents/foot Cdn.

30 cents Cdn = roughly 20 cents US.

Nope! I was right! :)

(Maybe the stuff sells for more in the US?)

Kal

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Huskerfan
Actually, the 20 cent wire I was talking about came from Parts Express. See this web site:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2899&DID=7

I have seen this wire mentioned many times on this forum.
So how does that compare to the Monster 12/2 they sell for $1.40/ft? Aside from 1/7 the price, of course. I'd be surprised if it sounds 7x better, but will it sound better at all? Considering it's going inside my wall, I'm willing to pay more to get the best wire I can in there now, but only if it's actually worth more money.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
So how does that compare to the Monster 12/2 they sell for $1.40/ft? Aside from 1/7 the price, of course. I'd be surprised if it sounds 7x better, but will it sound better at all? Considering it's going inside my wall, I'm willing to pay more to get the best wire I can in there now, but only if it's actually worth more money.
The Monster will not sound better at all. You will not hear the difference, period. Why 7 times the price? -- well, I guess that is how Monster makes money. :rolleyes: If you have too much cash to spend and want to donate some to Monster, go for it...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sushi
The Monster will not sound better at all. You will not hear the difference, period. Why 7 times the price? -- well, I guess that is how Monster makes money. :rolleyes: If you have too much cash to spend and want to donate some to Monster, go for it...
Actually, I've donated quite enough already, thank you. :)

Another question... I'm trying to figure out which wall plate jacks to buy for this speaker wire. What's the difference between these banana jack to binding post and these binding post to binding post jacks? I've done this before, installed jacks into which I plug banana jacks on the outside of the wall, but I'm confused looking at these as to what I want on the inside of the wall.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The pics may have been taken backwards, but we must assume that, when installed properly, the rears are the same (knurled rings for the in-the-wall wire), so the difference would be the front.

Binding posts (rings again) or banana jacks; which would suit you better? Do you normally leave the wires connected (rings), or have a need to disconnect them often (jacks)?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks Larry. I doubt I'd disconnect them more than very rarely. So would the knurled rings be for a bare wire connection? I guess I just can't picture how it works, maybe that's why I'm confused.

Well it says the binding post-binding post ones take either bare wire OR banana plugs, so I might as well go with that then I can figure out later what works best. Our cats try to pull the speaker wires out sometimes - I might be better off with jacks if any of the bare wire would stay exposed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought Belden 1860a at Anixter for less than $.20/ft. It was 12ga, plenum, ultra-pure copper designed for music. It has no outer jacket, so bi-wire is particularly easy. For the technical specs:
http://bwcecom.belden.com/catalog/Te...numSpeaker.htm

For the wall plates, I drilled a small hole in a blank plate, inserted a rubber grommet and simply let the wire run direct. This allows a direct run from the amplifier to the speakers. You can always cut it later and add a wall plate with connectors if you like, but every connection can introduce problems. With the money I saved, I splurged on WBT connectors at each end.

Good luck!

John

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I used plates with holes for my speaker wires, too. I found Leviton plates with 1/2" holes already in them at HD.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.