AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Simply put, I am looking for a 12 inch subwoofer that will be used for 100 percent music, nothing else. It is going to be used for my 2.1 system in my living room. The living room is the largest room of my house, of course, so the subwoofer needs to at least "fill" the room when turned up "loud", but by no means do I want a party shaker (I have my HT system in the basement, and my dual 15s and dual 10s are fulfilling in that department.)

Requirements:

-No more than $700-800 budget. $500-600 would be preferable.

-Footprint should be on the smaller side, as I don't want it to take up too much space at all.

-Aesthetically pleasing: the living room has hardwood floors, if that helps.

-Most likely a sealed enclosure since it is for SQ purposes not SPL, and to keep the enclosure size smaller.

The Speakers for the living room stereo are some NHT bookshelf speakers with sealed 6.5 drivers. They are powered by a Denon AV-3300 receiver (so nothing special, here.)

I just have no idea what is out there in the home audio world these days. It's been a while for me.

Thanks for recommendations!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
2nd on the RYTHMIK!! Tight controlled bass with no

"boominess"

·
Registered
30,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 /forum/post/19563926

I was also looking at this:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

Both are on the verge of being out of my price range.

I would save $50 and go with the F12G (Rythmik sub with a GR Research 12-inch driver). According to the Rythmik site: "The GR drivers use a lower mass paper cone, which has a slightly better transient response. The result is slightly better dynamics."

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/19564169

I would save $50 and go with the F12G (Rythmik sub with a GR Research 12-inch driver). According to the Rythmik site: "The GR drivers use a lower mass paper cone, which has a slightly better transient response. The result is slightly better dynamics."

Thanks for the info (for everyone else, too!)

I'll be looking into these.

Is there also anything out there for a cheaper budget? Or should I just save for some more months as there is nothing out there worth it?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Add an extra positive for the rythmik. I believe you would love it for music. Have a look at the frequency response they tested over at home theater shack. If you want a good neutral subwoofer that's the way to go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 /forum/post/19564461

I didn't see how LARGE this room of yours is. For 100% music the Rythmik is a no brainer but if your room is really big you might need the vtf3 IMO.

How much more SPL performance would get out of the VTF-3? I see that it is a 12in ported. I can see it being a good leap from a sealed 12.

So the main question is, how is the SQ of the VTF-3? If it's not a huge decrease from the Rythmik, then I don't see why not. It's even a good amount cheaper, too.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
100% music, you want to go sealed. at that budget, my vote would be for either the rythmik or the new svs sb-12nsd...

pm me if you are intersted in the cea2010 numbers for the svs...

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might be able to find a used (last gen) SVS SB12+ within your budget.

I had a pair of these at one time for a music based system. It was one of the cleanest, most easily integrated subs I've tried, and the rosewood finish quality was superb.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Don't listen to all the BS about "having" to go sealed to obtain musicality in a sub. Driver design has far FAR more to do with the sound quality than sealed vs ported. If you check out the official Rythmik thread, the owner of Rythmik even talks about the ported subs they just released and how surprised they were at how close the SQ was between the two subs, and thats with the exact same driver, just sealed vs ported.

The are only 2 real advantages to a sealed sub vs a ported sub. 1st is enclosure size. You can get away with a much smaller enclosure when going sealed. Second is low frequency output. Ported subs have a lot more output at and above the tuning point of the enclosure, but below it drops off FAST.

In your case i would look at a sub known for good musicality, the Rythmik certainly fits the bill. I would also take a HEAVY look at the Hsu VTF3.3. Its on sale right now, is a sub known for musicality, and will give you more output for less money than the rythmik. Since you're not looking for deep extension, you can get a lot more output for you money with a ported sub.

This is of course assuming you are ok with the larger cabinet size and don't have WAF issues.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
If you like to rock out once in awhile, go for the VTF3. It has much more output than the sealed subs, while not giving up much in sound quality, especially in max output mode. Very flat FR, with low distortion. Check out Ilkkas measurements of its performance. If you don't need that extra output, I would recommend you go with two small sealed subs co-located with each of your mains. This will avoid localization and contribute better to the stereo image of your system if you wire them in parallel with the speakers. Check out the sealed 10" sub from Elemental Designs for this, the ED A3s-250, two will be well within your budget.

·
Premium Member
7,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir
Don't listen to all the BS about "having" to go sealed to obtain musicality in a sub. Driver design has far FAR more to do with the sound quality than sealed vs ported. If you check out the official Rythmik thread, the owner of Rythmik even talks about the ported subs they just released and how surprised they were at how close the SQ was between the two subs, and thats with the exact same driver, just sealed vs ported.

The are only 2 real advantages to a sealed sub vs a ported sub. 1st is enclosure size. You can get away with a much smaller enclosure when going sealed. Second is low frequency output. Ported subs have a lot more output at and above the tuning point of the enclosure, but below it drops off FAST.

In your case i would look at a sub known for good musicality, the Rythmik certainly fits the bill. I would also take a HEAVY look at the Hsu VTF3.3. Its on sale right now, is a sub known for musicality, and will give you more output for less money than the rythmik. Since you're not looking for deep extension, you can get a lot more output for you money with a ported sub.

This is of course assuming you are ok with the larger cabinet size and don't have WAF issues.
Outlaw has the lfm1-ex on sale right now. It's basically the same as the vtf3. I would go with that over the vtf3 right now and save some money. Also comes with a wireless adapter.

·
Registered
862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani /forum/post/19564169

Another vote for Rythmik. It's significantly smaller than the HSU VTF-3. I'd recommend saving $50 like another poster said, and get the F12G for $749. Supposed to be even better than the $799 F12 for music.

How big is your room? And does it open up to other rooms? And how loud do you turn up your receiver to listen?

Also, you can get a Rythmik F-15 (15" ) for $899, or $849 in walnut. A bit over your budget, but it's a wonderful deal for a 15" increment over the 12" Rythmik. And it's just 3" bigger in all dimensions.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.