AVS Forum banner

3741 - 3759 of 3759 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
A Devastator build would probably work extremely well with my amp and the right HPF/boost settings and would ALMOST fit my placement constraints in a down-firing configuration. That said, my placement is in a dormer below a media shelf/projector hush box... so I have some pretty specific dimensions to hit and definitely don't have the know-how to start re-designing a horn to fit them.

With slot-ported, I can keep the drivers and the port front-firing which suits my placement. I'm also already happy with the ~108db or so my single Avalanche can output, but when I re-oriented it from down-firing to front-firing (and, in turn, made the ports down-firing) it exposed some major port velocity issues I knew I had but were previously masked by the placement as well as some unloading due to my HPF currently being at ~15hz and the box tune being ~18hz. I could just re-build the enclosure for my current driver, but it seems like a good time for a mild upgrade without getting too far out of my wheelhouse on modeling, design, or budget.

Can anyone do a quick sanity check on my model? Any glaring oversights, errors, or minor changes in approach I should consider? I've seen what my brother's 4x CS1214 + Yung 500-6 sealed couch riser can do in a MUCH larger room (3-4x the volume), so this will be my shoe-string budget answer to that (even though I built his too).

I might start cutting wood next weekend... I'm painting the room this week. I also have ISF projector calibration scheduled for 09/14 and would like to have the rest of the room done by then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got around to building some boxes for the JBL woofers I picked up in the 2019 Black Friday deal.
2ea , 2 woofers per ~3cft boxes wired as 8 ohm, stuffed with poly fil. I have another sheet of MDF to build 2 more and a few spare drivers (car sub?). But didn't want to build all 4 at once. They are going in a very not ideal space, a 18x25' room where only about only 18x10' is used for the TV/Stereo/couch.

Hooked them up last night to a XLS1502, coming off the LFE channel of the marantz. holly 60hz kick man. I wondered back through this thread today to try and recall what I was missing... oh... yeah... DSP... I have a miniDSP 2x4 on hand for this.

Is it better to cut the 60hz? Use a notch or a shelf? boost everything below? Both/all?

I'm up for DSP suggestions! Thanks!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Both! I have 2 sealed in smaller boxes. I cut the 50-60 peak and boost the low end! ;)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yeah, it's my understanding to always use cut before you try boost...

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
AKC Agility competitions used to include a chute:

Its use was discontinued due to safety concerns.
The entrance to the chute is a heavy plastic (PVC?) shipping container 30" high by 23" in diameter.
You can see where this is going, can't you. :D
Yup. For some reason I had the lids for the container. I stuffed it with three Deep Pockets pillows that I had, hooked it up to a ButtKicker BKA300-4 amp that I had, and tucked it inconspicuously into a corner (since canary yellow doesn't match the decor). Took less than two hours.

REW revealed tremendous distortion below 30Hz, but two small peq filters and a high pass at 30 produced an amazing mid-bass module.

Not sure if I'll keep it, but it was a fun project.
Michael

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
AKC Agility competitions used to include a chute:

Its use was discontinued due to safety concerns.
The entrance to the chute is a heavy plastic (PVC?) shipping container 30" high by 23" in diameter.
You can see where this is going, can't you. :D
Yup. For some reason I had the lids for the container. I stuffed it with three Deep Pockets pillows that I had, hooked it up to a ButtKicker BKA300-4 amp that I had, and tucked it inconspicuously into a corner (since canary yellow doesn't match the decor). Took less than two hours.

REW revealed tremendous distortion below 30Hz, but two small peq filters and a high pass at 30 produced an amazing mid-bass module.

Michael

You HAVE to put radioactive decals on that!

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
533 Posts
Yup. For some reason I had the lids for the container.

Michael
I’m sure you have another JBL lying around? I would love to see what happens when you add one more on the other end for a dual opposed sub. Being plastic I’m sure you are losing, not being strong enough / no braces.

Love the yellow!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey I just wanted to post an update for anyone that wants to use a ton of these in their home. I did a 16 jbl infinite baffle for my living room off of one channel of an nx6000d. My neighbor is 1/4 mile away according to google maps. I ran the pod scene with the clip lights coming on, and it was lightly shaking stuff in his house. I didn't think this was even possible lol.

Put these in your basement. I thought I was going to be good in a rural area, but your neighbors need to be like a mile away. Woops...

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
You’re probably having the end caps flex more than the drum. If you added another sub on the other end you could put sticks between the screw holes on four screws and it would help tie the end caps together.

You totally hid it in the corner, no one will ever notice ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hey I just wanted to post an update for anyone that wants to use a ton of these in their home. I did a 16 jbl infinite baffle for my living room off of one channel of an nx6000d. My neighbor is 1/4 mile away according to google maps. I ran the pod scene with the clip lights coming on, and it was lightly shaking stuff in his house. I didn't think this was even possible lol.

Put these in your basement. I thought I was going to be good in a rural area, but your neighbors need to be like a mile away. Woops...
I also used these for an IB set up in my attic but with only 12 and an inuke3000DSP. I occasionally get one light and MY house shakes quite a bit. My neighbors have never complained :) and I love the quality/quantity of bass I get from this set up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Zarkoff500, I would cry bs if someone told me these were shaking someone's dishes a 1/4 mile away. Well, I went to his house, and it's real. I don't really understand the physics of how low frequencies work, but I do know it works in some weird ways. There is a spot in my dining room that sounds like there is barely any bass, yet it's traveling all the way to his house.

Part of me wishes I didn't cut holes in my floors now lol, I should have put it all in the basement. I just wanted a stealthy home theater in my living room. In the end, it does sound amazing. You can feel the floors moving up and down, it is intense to say the least.

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
I’m sure you have another JBL lying around? I would love to see what happens when you add one more on the other end for a dual opposed sub. Being plastic I’m sure you are losing, not being strong enough / no braces.

Love the yellow!
I've done dual opposed with concrete forms (posted somewhere I can't find anymore). The only problem with doing that with this is that I can't undo it if I want to.
OTOH, if I end up getting rid of it (WAF, after all), I have nothing to lose and will definitely consider it.
Michael

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
You’re probably having the end caps flex more than the drum. If you added another sub on the other end you could put sticks between the screw holes on four screws and it would help tie the end caps together.

You totally hid it in the corner, no one will ever notice ;)
Actually, the plastic is so thick that the end cap (at least the one with the speaker in it that I can get to) doesn't flex at all. It's much heavier than it looks (and I don't think it's the three pillows).
Michael

·
Registered
665 Posts
Zarkoff500, I would cry bs if someone told me these were shaking someone's dishes a 1/4 mile away. Well, I went to his house, and it's real. I don't really understand the physics of how low frequencies work, but I do know it works in some weird ways. There is a spot in my dining room that sounds like there is barely any bass, yet it's traveling all the way to his house.

Part of me wishes I didn't cut holes in my floors now lol, I should have put it all in the basement. I just wanted a stealthy home theater in my living room. In the end, it does sound amazing. You can feel the floors moving up and down, it is intense to say the least.
That wasn't intended to sound like I didn't believe you but that I know how much my house shakes with one light on the inuke and if I took it all the way to the limiter things would get pretty silly.

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
The Yellow Sub(marine) goes nuclear!

As suggested and expected, now dual opposed

and still inconspicuously tucked into the corner.

Single and dual, after eq and hpf:

The noticeable difference is in distortion, even with the higher output.
single:

dual:

Too bad there's no room for a SLAPS.
:D
Michael

·
Registered
11,097 Posts
Actually, acousitically, you WANT your couch two feet from the wall. It was there anyway to make room for the 3x3 array (subtlety is my specialty).
I haven't broached with the wife keeping it by painting it black. It really does a fabulous job with music.
Michael

3741 - 3759 of 3759 Posts