AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3979 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Here's 2 of the JBL's in a 8 cubic ft box with three 4 inch ports if this was built it would need something like 9 cubic ft. becuase of the ports,driver, and bracing but you guys get the idea of how it would look.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,179 Posts
If this had been in the Great Found Deals thread, you would probably have lots more company here.
Sorry I missed it.
:(
Michael

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
4 of these drivers 1.5 cubic ft each 6 cubic ft total
If these model anything like the CS1214's (and IIRC they are basically clones just different dustcaps) they are best used in small sealed boxes. Ported boxes need to be in the 5-6 cubic foot range, minimum for a decent response. And at that size for a 12, you can buy a PA460 and build a VBSS which would outperform it I bet.

·
Registered
276 Posts
How do you guys think these would do in a sealed dual woofer cabinet?

I have two of them and trying to figure out my best use for them. I was planning on using at least one near field but thought maybe a dual sub would be cool. Or maybe a passive radiator, although probably not worth it as the radiator would cost way more than the sub. I only need to target a single seating area.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sorry for the long delay guys here's 1 sub in 4 different size boxes.
So when looking at your graph, is the hz below the box size in the sealed boxes, is that as low as it will play? I am trying to better understand the graphs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
...but unfortunately the 3K is still pretty loud without a fan mod. I have a BenQ W1070 projector and the two compete quite well on the annoyance scale.
Going to install a quieter, slower fan in the Inuke over Christmas and hopefully not burn it up.

Yes, that's why I went to a fanless amp.

I did install a quiet fan on one side of my 6k and it quietened it up a lot. since I didn't run the amp hard it never had any problem with overheating or the red light coming on.

If these model anything like the CS1214's (and IIRC they are basically clones just different dustcaps) they are best used in small sealed boxes. Ported boxes need to be in the 5-6 cubic foot range, minimum for a decent response. And at that size for a 12, you can buy a PA460 and build a VBSS which would outperform it I bet.

agree. I have a cs1214 in a 4 cu ft ported box at 25hz tune and it didn't add a whole lot to the output. all it did was create a burning smell when pushed hard with bass boosted music.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
So when looking at your graph, is the hz below the box size in the sealed boxes, is that as low as it will play? I am trying to better understand the graphs.

Thanks!

What I modeled is from 10hz and up.

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts

I was under the impression that these where the same drivers from what Matt posted.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
this driver is the exact driver as the JBL CS1214 I just looked at both technical data sheets thanks for the link though:)
Cool beans! Good to know...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
real world comparison in my room of these subs ported vs sealed

the ported box is about 4.4 cu with a 25hz tune, the sealed box is about 3.3 cu.

I run two of these sealed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
real world comparison in my room of these subs ported vs sealed

the ported box is about 4.4 cu with a 25hz tune, the sealed box is about 3.3 cu.

I run two of these sealed.

Actual in room measurements...YES!
I am surprised that the sealed has such a flat response across the sub-bass range. Yeah room gain! Still, giving up 6db in the lowest octaves seems like a big deal. If you don't need the extra output though I can see the allure of the smaller, simpler sealed build.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Actual in room measurements...YES!
I am surprised that the sealed has such a flat response across the sub-bass range. Yeah room gain! Still, giving up 6db in the lowest octaves seems like a big deal. If you don't need the extra output though I can see the allure of the smaller, simpler sealed build.

it would seem so on the surface but there is a lot more that needs to be taken into consideration.

at max output, the ported sub will have over excursion and that can lead to trouble.

so, you have to add a high pass filter, which means several things
a. you have to have a way to add a high pass filter. most AVRs cannot do this so the ported sub needs dsp of some kind
b. adding the filter removes some or your gains and further kills any hope of output below the tuning point
c. adding that filter raises the group delay to high heaven

in addition, in the box sizes that have been mentioned here, to keep the port velocity low enough, at 4 cu ft and max output, you would need 2x 4" ports at 37.87" each, or 3x 3" ports at 32.22" each(assumed 20hz tune). the ports probably wont even fit in the box.

so you are absolutely right that sealed is a lot simpler

41 - 60 of 3979 Posts