AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have rented 12 Monkeys more than once, and found the full circle plot very interesting, I decided to make 12 Monkeys part of my small DVD collection. I had watched, and found enjoyable the bonus material on the DVD from the rental store.

I then noticed there was a DTS version available, and decided to buy that. After watching it last week, I found the sound and picture to be quite good. I went back last night however, to try and watch some bonus material, and found there was NONE.

Hitting menu, brings you to a screen that allows you only to play movie. I have rented many movies but have come across no other, that at least did not throw in info about the cast and crew or other text info.

I do not quite understand why they would put nothing else on the dvd. Is it possible they had no room, since I did not notice any layer change?

Just curious........

·
Registered
26 Posts
12 Monkeys DTs has no Special Features because The DTS audio was encoded at 1536 kbs and that takes up alot of data. compared to Dolby Digital wich is 448 kbs is relatively small so special features can be included. The lower bitrate DD suffered from lowlevel ambiance missing when compared to DTS. Current DTS tracks were reduced to compete with DD disk so a DTS DVD can also include a comparable amount of Special Feature to a DD DVD.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good answer.........I'll take better sound over special features any day.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
was there a difference in pq at all between the 2? I had it and really like the movie but when i got an HDTV i noticed the PQ was not very good and I got rid of it. Anyone know if the dts version is better PQ or the DD? OR are they both the same?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yes, the DTS version has less compression artifacts and less lower frequency EE than the DD version, though still not a great transfer overall. I have not measured the bitrate between them, but imagine the DTS version would be higher. There are still some scenes such as the beginning of chapter 4 that remain very poor.

BTW, they are both dual layer, anamorphic.

Carey

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Early releases of Universal's DTS line was a TRUE, superbit release than Columbia's Superbit.

Imagine, The Video is the highest possible quality and the Audio is at DTS 1536 compared to Tristar's DTS 768 ONLY.

BTW in order for Dolby Digital to improve the quality of their digital sound they INCREASED their Audio bitrate from the OLD 384 kbs to 448 kbs.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there anywhere they post the bitrate and/or video quality for these dvd's. I don't see it listed anywhere on the dvd/box? Amazon.com, where I purchased it has a crude audio/video rating system, but I am not sure what they base it on, probably customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Its not the best looking disc out there, but its such a great flick that I cut it some slack. Its one that I added to my collection early on and I love to watch it once in a while. It really would be a great one to get some TLC in a new transfer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.