AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Except that they showed Cole's father, and he talked about his time with him (Christmas) when he was a kid before the outbreak.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
So he kills the messenger and prevents the paradox, but it doesn't prevent him from fathering a child with Cassandra despite it not happening since they were pulled back to 2044 by the machine. :confused:

I was also a bit unsure how to take the appearance of Madeleine Stowe since she was in the Twelve Monkeys movie and played the part of Kathryn Railly. Are we supposed to read anything into that? Or are they just paying indirect tribute by using an actress who was in Twelve Monkeys?
Well they never showed them sleeping together any other time and she was pregnant when they got back. Maybe it is Deacon's baby.:eek:

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
It was a mismash of a bunch of speeches from movies wasn't? They all sounded familiar but I couldn't place all of them.
Got this from a 12 Monkeys board. I only could place the last 3 and of course the Bill & Ted "be excellent to each other"

She starts off with Spartacus -Spartacus
I don't know the next one.
Aragorn - LOTR:ROTK
Wallace - Braveheart
President Whitmore - Independence Day

·
Registered
402 Posts
He was adopted.
I think though that even for this show, it would be too much for Cole to be born in the 22nd century, sent back to the early 21st century as a kid, only to grow up and create an infinite loop.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
I think though that even for this show, it would be too much for Cole to be born in the 22nd century, sent back to the early 21st century as a kid, only to grow up and create an infinite loop.
Who says that Cassie stays in the 22nd century? Cole went there to get her back. I admit it is a crazy theory, but it would be cool to see something so off the wall. Even though Futurama kind of did it with Fry being his own grandpa.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Cole is a walking paradox isn't he? What exactly happened when he injected his childhood blood into himself?

I'll be interested to keep up with what the writers say during the off season about the future of the show, can they tell their full story in 10 episodes or could they possibly get a reprieve from the powers that be?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Definitely looking forward to seeing where they go with this, regardless of what direction it takes.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Cole is a walking paradox isn't he? What exactly happened when he injected his childhood blood into himself?
I might be remembering wrong or confusing the show with the movie, but didn't they at some point indicate that only some people were compatible with the serum or that only some people would withstand the effects of time travel by the machine? I know they said that the time travel was slow killing Cole, hence his blood transfusion... They made a reference to a new safer formula for the serum at the start of this season. But in the finale everyone can time travel. Cole, Cassie, Jones, an entire industrial complex...

Really, who would build a giant industrial complex as a moving time machine? That would seem to limit your options since you have to park it someplace and it might attract attention.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I might be remembering wrong or confusing the show with the movie, but didn't they at some point indicate that only some people were compatible with the serum or that only some people would withstand the effects of time travel by the machine? I know they said that the time travel was slow killing Cole, hence his blood transfusion... They made a reference to a new safer formula for the serum at the start of this season. But in the finale everyone can time travel. Cole, Cassie, Jones, an entire industrial complex...

Really, who would build a giant industrial complex as a moving time machine? That would seem to limit your options since you have to park it someplace and it might attract attention.
I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, I'm referring to the time where Ramse stabbed him(in the Japanese bar) Jennifer's dad was there and Cole was about to die(the time lines are blurring for me on when all this took place) and Cassie went back and met the young Katarina Jones(she was pregnant with her daughter) and they concocted something from young Cole's blood and when he injected it, it created a paradox and the whole place exploded, nearly killed the Pallid Man, etc... I don't know I may rewatch this show again this summer, there is a lot going on, to say the least. LOL

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
So he kills the messenger and prevents the paradox, but it doesn't prevent him from fathering a child with Cassandra despite it not happening since they were pulled back to 2044 by the machine. :confused:
I'm pretty sure the serum also protects travelers from the being effected by changes in the timeline -- so they retain their memories as things are changed and can learn from what happened. In other words, since both Cole and Cassie were injected, Cole going back and preventing the 1957 paradox wouldn't affect either of their memories or physical conditions related to what happened in the 1957-1959 timeline.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts

Yeah, they kind of changed the rules. In the beginning, Jones spent a lot of time looking for someone to survive the time travel. The serum tethered them and was slowly killing Cole. Now it seems with the new serum, special people can time travel without the damage. So far we have had Cole, Ramsey. Cassie and Jeniffer. Jones did not time travel. The other male scientist programmed the machine as a teleporter to get them to Titan without time travel.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Just quoting myself from the other day... I had a feeling that was where this was headed!

I was so glad they carried it all the way through, because I thought her speech sounded familiar, but I couldn't nail it until the very end there!
I easily remember it because I just rewatched ID4 on July 4th's night time since I haven't seen it since its theater release. ;)

·
UHD Addict
37,433 Posts
Yeah, they kind of changed the rules. In the beginning, Jones spent a lot of time looking for someone to survive the time travel. The serum tethered them and was slowly killing Cole. Now it seems with the new serum, special people can time travel without the damage. So far we have had Cole, Ramsey. Cassie and Jeniffer. Jones did not time travel. The other male scientist programmed the machine as a teleporter to get them to Titan without time travel.
All the people that were splintered were injected with the serum at some point. Without it they would die.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I'm pretty sure the serum also protects travelers from the being effected by changes in the timeline -- so they retain their memories as things are changed and can learn from what happened. In other words, since both Cole and Cassie were injected, Cole going back and preventing the 1957 paradox wouldn't affect either of their memories or physical conditions related to what happened in the 1957-1959 timeline.
+1

They went over this when Katrina also was not subject to the time line change memory loss, and thus she did not have memories of being married to David Eckland in the new reality.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I was so happy to see that Jennifer Goins is still in the picture. She's so endearing. Also during a scene transition the was a shot of an ant crawling up a distressed wall and my immediate thought the CBS show BrainDead.

·
Registered
18,490 Posts
Was waiting for Goines to shout out "Wyld Stallyns rules!" after her speech. Interesting season finale. Looking forward to how this plays out next year. Deacon is my new fav character. He has some great lines. Hope he makes it back for S3.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I know Cole was sent to 2163, but they should've explained why Cole doesn't drink the magic tea to warn everyone to get off of Titan before it splinters. In the first season, they explained the difficulty or hazards of going back to change immediately past events. But what about magic tea? Surely there are some red leaves around in 2044 after all those storms.

·
Registered
20,431 Posts
I know Cole was sent to 2163, but they should've explained why Cole doesn't drink the magic tea to warn everyone to get off of Titan before it splinters. In the first season, they explained the difficulty or hazards of going back to change immediately past events. But what about magic tea? Surely there are some red leaves around in 2044 after all those storms.

Well they "could" do that, but then you wouldn't have the setup we have for next season. There also wasn't really enough time for them to do that in this episode. He would have only been able to drink the tea after that event already happened (to him). He made a rash decision (as he does) to make the jump forward after Cassie. They would have needed to pause, think hey I can drink the tea, go find the red leaves (remember the storms/red forest had receded/healed itself) to make the tea. In order to be sure, he would have had to jump BACK in time, to "tea jump" forward. That's a lot to pack into what 5 minutes of screen time.

Have to say I really enjoyed the finale and look forward to what do next season. While this show just for really complicated, the writers this far have always "covered themselves".

As far as the Witness being Coles kid, we assume it is, it's heavily hinted it is, but we can't be 100% sure due to the changes that were made. We know there were changes made (major ones) as Cole was surprised Cassie remembered the butterfly. That was a 1st (someone outside of Cole remembering the "alternate" past. This may be the hint that the child IS Cole's. Throughout the series Cole has been deemed "special". He's also the only real person that can continually time jump without dying. I believe there were small comments made saying the Witness resides "outside of time" of this is the case then that may be the reason Cassie can remember the alternate history. She is being affected by being pregnant with the Witness. This would also explain how The Witness knows what they do. Residing outside of time would allow for a "total" view.

Sent from nowhere

541 - 560 of 797 Posts