AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace a blown woofer in my Def Tech Pro Sub 200tl. Do I have to use the exact woofer from the manufacturer or can I use any 12" woofer? I came across this particular woofer on SciPlus.com:

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/...7/category/158

part #: 38718

but it's mentioned rated power is only 50 watts while the amp in the Pro Sub 200 is rated at something like 200 watts RMS. Do power ratings mean anything when it comes to subs? Will this woofer work or should I look at something else? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
820 Posts
You cannot use any woofer in that ProSub200TL except for the original woofer. The reason for that is because the original woofer has an impedance of approximately 108 ohms. If you throw in an eight or four ohm woofer, you will fry the amplifier almost immediately. New woofers are only about $70. If you like the sound and performance of the unit, I'd spring for a new woofer. However, be sure that the amplifier is not blown as well. 99% of the time with those units, if you have a bad woofer, it's because of a problem in the amplifier(s).

Is the cone frozen or voice coil rubbing? If so, it's likely the amplifier has shorted and sent DC to the woofer. In that case, you'd need to replace at least the high level amplifier and woofer.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I just received an email back from Def Tech. He also insisted on not using anything besides the original woofer. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts