AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Freshly registered member here! I hope you can help me out. I'm currently running an HT setup with Energy C-2s and an Energy AC300 in front, with Energy Take 2.2s in back. The subwoofer is a 50 watt sealed M&K that's being retired to teh bedroom. I'm looking for a new sub for HT (90% use). It is more important for the sub to go as low as possible at moderate dB levels-- so that I can really feel it -- rather than reach stupid-high SPL levels.

If I had about $500 or $550 (shipped price), I'd get a 12" Titanic kit or an SVS 10". But I don't, so my thinking is that I buy a sub for about $250 or less, sell it in a couple years, and upgrade. I figure, I won't lose too much money this way.

Anyway, there are three vented subs in this price range that I know next to nothing about. There are no published tests done on these subs, and only a couple of consumer reviews on forums like this one. All of them are web/mail order, so auditioning them ahead of time is impossible.

1. TheCadence XSUB has a 350 RMS class AB amp and is front firing. It weighs 49 pounds (the driver has a 70 oz. magnet) and is rated down to 25 Hz. Standard cosmetics. This company is apparently well established in the car audio world. About $250 delivered.

2. TheAcoustech H100 has a 150 watt RMS/500 watt max BASH amp and is front firing. It weighs in at 42 pounds and is rated down to 24 Hz (+/- 3dB). It is pretty. Dr. Hsu helped design it and it is the same amp used in Hsu Research's bottom of the line 8" sub. Several positive reviews on this site, but it's tough to know what the reference point of the reviewers were. Less than $270 delivered.

3. TheDayton 12" from partsexpress.c0m is downfiring and has a 150 watt RMS amp. It weighs 40 pounds and is rated down to 24 Hz. Again, a couple folks here said only that it sounded good, but no details were provided. It is homely and costs about $140 plus delivery.
From the specs, I'd expect the Cadence to be the best of the bunch, but specs never tell the whole story. If I knew that the Dayton was in the same league as the other two, I'd get it due to the price difference. But if either the Acoutech or Cadence sounded even just slightly better than the Dayton, I wouldn't mind spending the extra $100.

Actually, there is a fourth contender: the $350 Titanic 10" kit from partsexpress. Although it's supposed to be a great sub, as sealed 10" design, I'm guessing it would not be the best choice for HT.

I hope you can help me. After make almost no significant changes to my system in the past couple of years, I've had this itch to upgrade the sub.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No MSG
so my thinking is that I buy a sub for about $250 or less, sell it in a couple years, and upgrade.
Sorry man, my thinking is "you buy cheap, you buy twice."

This is not to say the subs on you list are cheap in quality but cheap in price. Why not spend $500-$600 and have that sub for 5-7 years instead of buying a $250-$300 sub now and selling it and then finally buying a $500-$600 sub?

Anyways, I say check out these subs.

HSU - VTF-2 MK2 $526 shipped

SVS - 25-31PCi $575

Velodyne DLS-5000R around $600 shipped

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
How big is your room (LxWXH)? I can understand your situation, $500-$600 is a pretty big pill for me to swallow in one gulp as well. Depending on the size of your room, you might not need to go all the way to over $500 - one of your choices might be OK, or you might only need to step-up to the Hsu STF, SVS PB10-ISD, Velo DLS 3750 or 4000, or something similar. Is bigger better? Sure, in most cases the answer is yes - but it is also generally true that technology usually gets cheaper. I think the performance of the low-cost subs available today would have cost you much more money 4-5 years ago, so buying *too* far over your current needs can also be inefficient. Buying a Hsu or SVS would let you demo it in your house, and if you needed to upgrade you could just return it within the trial period.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
How big is your room (LxWXH)? I can understand your situation, $500-$600 is a pretty big pill for me to swallow in one gulp as well. Depending on the size of your room, you might not need to go all the way to over $500 - one of your choices might be OK, or you might only need to step-up to the Hsu STF, SVS PB10-ISD, Velo DLS 3750 or 4000, or something similar. Is bigger better? Sure, in most cases the answer is yes - but it is also generally true that technology usually gets cheaper. I think the performance of the low-cost subs available today would have cost you much more money 4-5 years ago, so buying *too* far over your current needs can also be inefficient. Buying a Hsu or SVS would let you demo it in your house, and if you needed to upgrade you could just return it within the trial period.

Bravo! That is some of the best advise I've heard on this forum in a long time. It's better to shop smart then extravagantly.

Ian :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12", a plate amp, and some building materials from your local HD/Lowes

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've actually had modest success "buying cheap", then upgrading later. Electronics will almost always go down in price as technology improves, but if I was to always keep saving for the best, I would never enjoy anything now. I keep all my components (video and audio), and over the years, as my main system is slowly improved, other rooms get upgraded as well with the hand-me-downs. This "system" works well for helping me make more informed decisions about future purchases because I learn what my current system is lacking and what my particular taste/needs may be. JMO.

No MSG is looking at a couple of subs I am considering also, and if anyone has any additional info on past dealings with each company, or have actually heard these subs in use, I'm sure we'd both appreciate those opinions while forming our own.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Since this thread mentioned the Cadence XSub, it gives me an opportunity to ask about it - has anyone at AVS actually bought one, and if so, whadda ya think of it?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonoMan
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12", a plate amp, and some building materials from your local HD/Lowes
I really envy folks who can spend a day in their garage and end-up with a good sounding and good looking sub. I know I *should* be able to do it too - then I look at the construction pictures from other people's diy subs, and I get serious cold feet. I'm the guy who's little bench wobbled in high school wood shop, and who couldn't make a 90 deg joint with a power miter box. Every home construction project I try involves purchasing several tools and at least 3 trips to the store to buy more lumber & supplies. :eek: There is a reason I became a computer & electronics geek...

I need a retired neighbor who likes to tinker with his table saw! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Since this thread mentioned the Cadence XSub, it gives me an opportunity to ask about it - has anyone at AVS actually bought one, and if so, whadda ya think of it?
Ditto.

·
Registered
606 Posts
While a lot can be said for saving your money and buying a better sub,I also am familiar with the "got to have it now" feeling.

.Depending on some of the opinions you get on this thread,a third option would be to buy the dayton,and put the rest of your hard earned cash in the bank.Continue saving for a great sub like an SVS or HSU,while still having the dayton to fill in the blanks in your HT.

When your ready for that big upgrade,make a gift of the dayton to a relative or friend. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD
Sorry man, my thinking is "you buy cheap, you buy twice."

... Why not spend $500-$600 and have that sub for 5-7 years instead of buying a $250-$300 sub now and selling it and then finally buying a $500-$600 sub?
The answer is simple. I can't afford everything I want, and don't need the best of everything.

Because of my job, kids, and other hobbies, I use my HT system to watch a DVD maybe two or three times a month. It's simply not worth it right now for me to spend $500 and up on a sub that I use less than two hours a week.

Also, the entry-level subs I listed may actually be all that I really need. In any event, I'd place even money that they perform at least as well as the $400 to $500 subs I'd find at Circuit City or Good Guys. The way I see it, if one of these cheaper subs does the trick, it'll be a keeper. If not, then it'll tide me over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it makes any difference I'm ordering the Dayton in about two weeks. I'd love to get that Acoustech instead, but I just don't have the money for that.

If I were you (aka if I had the money) I'd try that Acoustech.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just received my Dayton 12'' yesterday and was disappointed at the condition it arrived in. IMO the packaging was nowhere near sufficient for a 40lbs sub and as a result it has several small dings in it, and one of the feet broke off in shipping and doesn't want to stay on now.

The most disappointing part is that there's a significant flaw in the veneer finish at one of the front edges, resulting in a bubble and ripple. Obviously this wasn't caused by shipping and this unit should of been sold as b-stock, at best.

My girlfriend commented that, because I had it addressed to her, maybe they thought they could dump a shaggy unit on a girl. Who knows? Either way it's going back and I'm going with a different sub.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Subversive, did you order from Parts Express or somewhere else? Did the unit work at least? If the shipping issues weren't there, what thoughts do you have on the units performance? Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subversive
I just received my Dayton 12'' yesterday and was disappointed at the condition it arrived in. IMO the packaging was nowhere near sufficient for a 40lbs sub and as a result it has several small dings in it, and one of the feet broke off in shipping and doesn't want to stay on now.

The most disappointing part is that there's a significant flaw in the veneer finish at one of the front edges, resulting in a bubble and ripple. Obviously this wasn't caused by shipping and this unit should of been sold as b-stock, at best.

My girlfriend commented that, because I had it addressed to her, maybe they thought they could dump a shaggy unit on a girl. Who knows? Either way it's going back and I'm going with a different sub.
Sorry to hear about the sub problem. Let us know if Partsexpress gave you any problem in taking the sub back. They're known for good customer services. Did you get a chance to test out the subs?

·
Registered
487 Posts
A simple phone call will straighten this out.

The Dayton 12's ordered so far have all been received in fine shape. Sorry to hear you got a lack luster appearing unit and damaged in route to boot..

Do what you feel necessary, but PE would/will take care of it if you called them,,,, and usually very quickly.

If it fuctions, try it out assuming no working problems due to shipping damage or factory lemon related problems before you make a drastic decision.

Usually they will ship the new one out before receiving the broken & or lemon unit back "especially with a just received order". Has happened a few times with myself with other things I've ordered, like very expensive raw drivers.

Others have sent lemon or damaged Dayton powered subs back and received tracking for a new one before PE even got the damaged & or problem unit back..

Worth a free phone call if you have any intrest in wanting or keeping with this sub brand.

The Doc/HSU involved Acoustech-H100 is a better sub I'm quite sure, and would highly recommend (if you choose this route) to purchase it from an authorized dealer/seller.! It could arrive not working, missing something, damaged, etc and you certainly do not want another problem.

I highly doubt that you were singled out to get a screwed up sub, PE is HUGE and dose not have time to discriminate between it's thousdands of daily buyers.

I thought I was always the unlucky one...:(

I understand your disapointment, I've been their done that with other equipment and PE has always taken care of things ASAP...:)

Best of luck with what ever you decide to do/get..

·
Registered
230 Posts
Sorry fellas, I won't have my new receiver for another fews days so I can't comment on the Dayton's performance.

I just got off the phone with PE; at first the customer service girl told me I was SOL on the return shipping charges, but the back of my invoice says different so I called back and spoke to a tech. He was very friendly and said they'd pay the return charges. Unfortunately I'm still stuck with the $65 brokerage fee, but **** happens.

I'm gonna see if I can find an Acoustech-H100 locally but I'm not sure about their availability up here in Canuckistan.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Did not know you where in the north..

Also, I should have made mention like I usually do, do not talk to ordering, but always ask for Tech Support with these type issues..

Their is a authorize Acoustech distrubtor here in lower Michigan, Grand Rapids to be exact, and sells now and then on ebay. It's a I-net store that you can purchase goods at their web site or possible a better deal from them on Ebay, assuming they have one listed.

Are you done totaly with the Dayton-12, NO second chance, or possibly still thinking on it...

Really a bummer that you have NO Receiver to at least check it out. :(

Edit:

You might call BIC/Acoustech and see if they have distrubtors in the Great White North yet.

Geoff ¥

·
Registered
298 Posts
hey i hear ya man, sometimes people on here forget that some of us just dont have $500 to spend on a subwoofer, heck im a college student trying to afford a engagment ring so my H-100 was about the best i could do, i love it by the way its strong and clean.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.