AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built my screen today. Nothing earth shattering but I figured I would post.

120" diagonal screen. Glacier White (GW) from Seymour AV.

First off- I wouldn't staple this again. The stuff has no stretch. It was a pain to work with. I'm happy with the end result, but I would probably go with grommets next time. Also, they cut it with just over two inches to spare lengthwise, which meant I only had an inch to grab and tension on each end, which wasn't easy. Also it means my frame is inside the decorative frame. I had wanted to build it oversized and then put a decorative frame on top. Just in case the fame outline shows up after assembly. Next time I'd order a bigger piece, and go with grommets/O rings.

Shop pics: I started with 5/4 poplar. I had 12' boards to work with. Cut 4 pieces 2.5" wide. Two for the long ends, two sides from another piece and two middle supports from the last. The frame was planed flat to 1 1/8" thick. The middle supports are 1" so there's no chance they will show up.

The GW doesn't lie flat over a sharp edge, so I had to put a 1/8" radius round over on the outside of the frame. I also put a 1" round over on the inside just in case the inside of the frame tried to crease the material during assembly or if the frame didn't sit perfectly flat I wouldn't have a sharp edge showing.

Attachments

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Trying to post from my phone is a pain, so I'll break it up....

I assembled the frame in the room. Pocket screws. Simple.

Then it was time to 'stretch.' Like I said above, I didn't have much edge material to work with. I tried the pattern recommended by Seymour AV. Didn't work. Started over and used the pattern from Carl's place. That worked. Used a pneumatic stapler but had the pressure turned way down to 50 psi so it wouldn't blow through. Worked great.

Hung on the wall with Z clips. Two up top about 30" in. Two on each side down by the bottom. It took some precise measuring and a later level to get everything lined up right, but 4 points of contact should keep the frame from twisting. It is in a basement.

Only thing not done yet is the decorative frame to go around the edge. Trying to get the room functional for football and company this weekend. But I'll put a velvet wrapped frame around the outside at some point. I'll update this thread with pics.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Looks cool, i like it and nice workmanship on the frame not like the hack i did.. lol

Can't wait to see a pic of it up and running... wish i had a basement.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not loving it. I can see the texture on it in bright/white scenes. I need to see if it's there if I dial down the screen size a bit. It could be SDE I'm seeing. I'm about 11'6" from 120 Diag screen. I'll cone it down and see if it's still there, but I can see a horizontal line across the top about 1/3 down the screen. I'm thinking that's the screen I'm seeing.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to building the frame finally. Took one of my 1 1/8 pieces of poplar and split it at 15 degrees. That's my bevel. Then I split another piece into 1/2" strips for the edge. Nailed those together at 90 degrees, creating a very sturdy but light L shaped piece. Then I wrapped in velvet, then nailed and screwed together. Slides on top of the screen to create a clean flush installation up against the wall. Two screws on the top and bottom edge keep it in place.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I'm drooling over the symmetry of that last picture.
Nice room too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi, do you still own this screen? I'm considering getting one. Supposedly Seymour came out with the new Glacier White version that has a finer texture.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,786 Posts
Nope. I covered it up with flexiwhite material and never looked back. I just helped a buddy build his screen and we used flexiwhite for him as well. So much easier to install than the Seymour material.

Yep,

I've caught a lot of flack over the last several years warning individuals about the Glacier White, on both surface texture and installation points. Much came before 4K...except with JVC owners, how hated anything that took away their pristine Eshift imagery.

Carl's started going "smooth" all the way back in 2006-7, and on a visit when I evaluated the entire line-up, I made note that the Pro-White and Pro-Gray both had noticeable Texture, and would highlight SDE...especially the Pro-Grey.

They have made a lot of progress as of late....though the ALR & High Contrast still show some artifacts.

But as you related, the "DIY" part is almost as important as the "Visual", and ease of work-ability cannot be dismissed as being not so very important.

But...when all else fails to satisfy.............Paint! :cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wow. That’s a bummer that you guys didn’t like Glacier White. On a small sample it looks good against sample Silver Ticket. Slightly higher resolution and better color accuracy with a small blue push. Stewart Cima Neve sample looks even better but at a higher price and to add insult to that injury it doesn’t even come in size that I would ideally want.

I heard good things about Elunevision Reference 4K being comparable to Studiotek 100 and it comes in 115” widescreen but it’s close to Seymour price and reputation is iffy.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,786 Posts
Wow. That’s a bummer that you guys didn’t like Glacier White. On a small sample it looks good against sample Silver Ticket. Slightly higher resolution and better color accuracy with a small blue push. Stewart Cima Neve sample looks even better but at a higher price and to add insult to that injury it doesn’t even come in size that I would ideally want.

I heard good things about Elunevision Reference 4K being comparable to Studiotek 100 and it comes in 115” widescreen but it’s close to Seymour price and reputation is iffy.
You need to get yourself a sample of the Flexi-White from Carl's Place. It has a superior surface and better visual performance than the Matte White Silver Ticket, and your options as far as size and formatting are wide open. The best choice is always the one that is most practical without undue compromising. That means great performance at a down-to-earth cost.

Everything else is "Whim Based" because someone kinda gots'ta have it.......or empowered by a lack of concern over cost and a belief that higher cost always buys quality.

We know better hereabouts.:cool:

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,786 Posts
Yeah, but you assume I have skills and time to build me a frame. 😊

No assumptions here....just knowing that several 1000s that have stated they were in worse shape have done so. Knowledge...and having help available is empowering, and better results for less a blessing.

But yeah....in the end ya gotta want to feel the pride that comes with having "done it yourself" instead of just shelling out for convenience. And when the savings amount to 5-10 x less than Mfg? Well...this IS the DIY Screen Forum, don'tcha know.;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts