Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the Samsung LN40B550

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How significant an improvement is a 120 Hz refresh rate over 60 Hz? Does it make up for a potentially inferior name brand?

I am currently deciding between:

- Sharp Aquos LC-40E77U 40" 1080p (120Hz)

- Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p (60 Hz)

I've had an opportunity to see both in real life, but in different stores so I was unable to compare them. I liked the PQ on both.

Since I have found them for similar prices, and all other specs (that matter to me) are similar, it boils down to which is more important: refresh rate (favors the Sharp) or brand/reputation (favors Samsung).

The one spec I was unable to compare was bit depth: I know the Sharp is 10-bit, not sure about the Sammy (I suspect it's 8).

All thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell /forum/post/18294432

How significant an improvement is a 120 Hz refresh rate over 60 Hz? Does it make up for a potentially inferior name brand?

I am currently deciding between:

- Sharp Aquos LC-40E77U 40" 1080p (120Hz)

- Samsung LN40B550 40" 1080p (60 Hz)

I've had an opportunity to see both in real life, but in different stores so I was unable to compare them. I liked the PQ on both.

Since I have found them for similar prices, and all other specs (that matter to me) are similar, it boils down to which is more important: refresh rate (favors the Sharp) or brand/reputation (favors Samsung).

The one spec I was unable to compare was bit depth: I know the Sharp is 10-bit, not sure about the Sammy (I suspect it's 8).

All thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

Motion blur reduction is not a given regardless of the (120 Hz) frame rate. The effectiveness of the motion blur reduction depends on how it is implemented in the TV. Some 120 Hz TVs have little if any motion blur reduction when compared with 60 Hz frame rate.

The implementation in the E77UN is not very good and the amound of motion blur reduction is slight.

I have no specific information on the Samsung 550. Least expensive one I can tell you about is the Samsung LN40B650 which costs more and is 120 Hz. Motion blur reduction in the B650 works well, considerably better than Sharp E77UN. I know B650 is probably out of your price range but that's as close as I could come to B550.

·
Banned
2,479 Posts
If the picture looks good to you, buy what you like based on usabilty for your needs (ie. inputs, matte screen, etc). Personally I would go with the Samsung 550. Sharp sets have not been, well, so sharp. I've seen the same 40" Samsung in my local Sears now for going on 18 months, 12 hrs a day. Still looks good and it is the same set. . . I keep checking the serial number and amount of dust on the back of the set.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I suggest you save up the difference and upgrade to the B650 or await the C650. B650 is worth the extra money if you plan on viewing for a number of years - amortized over the life of the panel it's very small for the gain in PQ performance everyday you view it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks - your insights have been very useful. I'll save up a little more and go for a Samsung LN40B650. Through some diligent online shopping, I'll be able to get it for about $125 more than my previous two choices.

I'm most grateful for your opinions... thank you!

(Looks like I should have included another option in the poll - "none of the above")

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I personally would avoid the C650 i viewed one at frys yesterday and saw considerable pixel smearing with dark moving images and i checked and it was a an S panel as well........

it had AMP turned up to to a high level but what i saw was definitely not AMP induced it was smearing, I've seen it many times before and it was clear as day on it

to the OP the E77U is a better TV than the B550 even if its 120hz is not as good as say a B650 it's still a better performer than a B550 overall

1 - 7 of 7 Posts