AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone let me know if I'd be getting too much of a good thing, so to speak, in this scenario? I'm looking to get a 120 inch screen and will be seated approx 12 feet away. I'd love a bright, contrasty image, but part of me is worried that this kind of size / distance might actually become painful.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Projector?

The answer is probably not. I run a 11'3" HP and view it from 13'. I'm using the BenQ PE7700.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point! The projector is a Sanyo Z5, which I just bought the othher day and am still jumping for joy at the image it's giving me when projected against a simple white wall!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
We are running a Panny AX-100 on a 120" diag. HP and we sit 9 feet away from the screen with no problems. Please understand that we like sitting that close even though it doesn't fit the 1.0 or 1.5 screen width scenarios.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You could always add a filter to the PJ with the new lamp until it dims a little. Better to have too much brightness than not enough - the filter shouldn't change the image and it will add more time to your lamps useful life with a HG screen like the High Power...

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixKindsOfWonder /forum/post/0

Projector?

The answer is probably not. I run a 11'3" HP and view it from 13'. I'm using the BenQ PE7700.

A few years ago when I first looked into buying a HiPower screen, I had a similar question. Someboby (might have been Tryg) answered me that there is no such thing as a too bright screen.

Now after two HiPower screen (120") I agree with that person.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverplace /forum/post/0

A few years ago when I first looked into buying a HiPower screen, I had a similar question. Someboby (might have been Tryg) answered me that there is no such thing as a too bright screen.

Now after two HiPower screen (120") I agree with that person.

That's right. Have you ever seen a properly calibrated plasma and thought it was too bright?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a 115" high power and first row sitting is 9-10 feet away and its not to bright. It's a great screen, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Randy

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Is that 115" diag, and thus 100"W, or is it 115" wide? If it's the former, then this is a viewing distance of 1.1 to 1.2 screen widths. This is pretty close. 1.5 seems to be the norm, though I'm planning for 1.3 (133" diag at 12.5 ft away).

·
Registered
252 Posts
115" diagonal

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randito3 /forum/post/0

115" diagonal

Thanks for the reply. So you ARE sitting at ~1.1-1.2 screen widths; and I presume you like it, right? I'm plannning to get a 133" diag HP and sit ~ 12-13 ft away, which corresponds to ~ 1.3 screen widths. And I've been worrying about whether or not this would be too large for that distance! Your experience suggests that it wouldn't

·
Registered
39 Posts
One point (minor and probably immaterial to you depending on your viewing habits):

I have an HP too and the only time that I think it's too bright is when I have white subtitles on, and the particular movie is using a bright white for those subtitles. I don't watch a lot of films with subtitles on, but some folks do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.