AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm setting up a home theater system in spare room.

Would a 120" JVC NX5 be worth it over 83" LG C1 with these constraints:

Dedicated room: Yes
Baffle wall: No
Dimensions: 21x13x11'
Sunlight: No
Interior lights: No
Ceiling: White
Walls: Light grey
Floor: Brown vinyl
Can paint: No
Can install velvet: No
Max screen size: 120" must be motorized
Number of seats: 2
Viewing distance: Flexible
Seating position: Flexible
HTPC tone mapping: No
Anamorphic lens: No

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have similar setup - with both. 75" TV (Samsung QN90A, not LG OLED) and 106" screen with JVC NX5 (screen comes down from the ceiling in front of the TV). Use the TV for daytime viewing and the projector for watching movies when dark.

There is no beating up the larger screen - size beats picture quality every time. With that being said - the projector is not bright enough so if you think UHD HDR will give you something over regular SDR on a projector screen - it won't. (While the Samsung TV is blindingly bright - but I still watch movies on the projector).

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think so, my current room has similar constraints and I’m replacing a Sony 83” OLED with one of the new JVC laser projectors, and moving the OLED to a smaller room. Although I do have some flexibility in adjusting the room if needed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you not treat the room?
I'll use the system for music and gaming with lights on. Don't want to paint or install velvet.

But based on the replies here, it doesn't seem like it matters. Projector is still preferred.

If I go projector route, I'd use motorized screen and keep using the 65" OLED for gaming. Screen has to be motorized anyway to not block a door.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
If you are able to force the image size perspective of OLED by positioning the panel closer to your seating, the OLED can be a worthy alternative. I have found watching a 77cx from 6-8' viewing distance, to be as immersive as watching a 128" AR scope projected image from 10'. And when it comes to raw image reproduction capability, I have yet to see a projector that can compare to the OLED.

I have my experience detailed in a link in my signature if you're interested in more details.

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
679 Posts
I'll use the system for music and gaming with lights on. Don't want to paint or install velvet.

But based on the replies here, it doesn't seem like it matters. Projector is still preferred.

If I go projector route, I'd use motorized screen and keep using the 65" OLED for gaming. Screen has to be motorized anyway to not block a door.
I think you are making the right choice and I agree with the majority of responses so far about size & immersion being my top criteria. That being said as @Bytehoven mentioned; seating distance is a key variable. You can get the same level of immersion on a smaller display when sitting closer to it as you with with a larger display sitting further back.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Projectors and TV's are just two different animals. A projectors only true advantage is picture size. In an "UNTREATED ROOM" with only two viewers just sit a little closer to the TV. TV hands down.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
That is an interesting idea placing the TV closer to the viewer to make it seem bigger. What about the sound though? Would moving the speakers closer to the listener make them sound better or worse? My initial guess would be they would sound worse, but headphones sound great. Maybe having the speakers closer gives them less chance to get screwed up by the room. Your room would have a lot less space in it though if everything was moved toward the seating position.

With that being said, I use a 49" Sony UHD TV as a computer monitor and I am currently looking at it as I type. It is quite large in front of my face, but still feels like a monitor/TV and not a movie screen. It looks great, but small even though it is close to my face.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
That is an interesting idea placing the TV closer to the viewer to make it seem bigger. What about the sound though? Would moving the speakers closer to the listener make them sound better or worse? My initial guess would be they would sound worse, but headphones sound great. Maybe having the speakers closer gives them less chance to get screwed up by the room. Your room would have a lot less space in it though if everything was moved toward the seating position.

With that being said, I use a 49" Sony UHD TV as a computer monitor and looking at it as I type. It is quite large in front of my face, but still feels like a monitor/TV and not a movie screen. It looks great, but small even though it is close to my face.
My 7.1.4 system is the same for both my previous screen viewing and current panel viewing. All I needed to do, was recalibrate the room acoustics , in case the panel had any impact.

Others who may gave an AT screen with enclosures located behind the screen, would have different geometry where the panel might interfere.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts

With that being said, I use a 49" Sony UHD TV as a computer monitor and I am currently looking at it as I type. It is quite large in front of my face, but still feels like a monitor/TV and not a movie screen. It looks great, but small even though it is close to my face.
The op made zero reference to audio so no clue what to expect. With the size room it does look like the audio would be easier to optimize for a projector. I also agree sitting closer to a smaller screen is not the same emersion but the difference diminishes with the larger the screen as OP is comparing an 83" to a 120".

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
12,345 Posts
I'm setting up a home theater system in spare room.

Would a 120" JVC NX5 be worth it over 83" LG C1 with these constraints:

Dedicated room: Yes
Baffle wall: No
Dimensions: 21x13x11'
Sunlight: No
Interior lights: No
Ceiling: White
Walls: Light grey
Floor: Brown vinyl
Can paint: No
Can install velvet: No
Max screen size: 120" must be motorized
Number of seats: 2
Viewing distance: Flexible
HTPC tone mapping: No
Anamorphic lens: No

Yes! You will absolutely benefit. The NX5 needs light control which means no sunlight, no lights on in the room. White ceilings & floor will not impact the awesome JVC on/off contrast at all. (White walls will impact ANSI contrast, but JVC is weak in this less important area anyway). Of course the OLED look better but 77" isn't a theater. May as well hang your phone on the wall if that's the case.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts

I used to sit with my toes about 2-3 inchs from 65" and was headed towards 77 oled till tried a good projector. (Was before 83 available)

Now i'm 10 foot back from ~10ft wide screen, with a 10 foot audio hemisphere (10ft cieling) Audio immersion in money spot great, but get a bit of hot spoting on the side in the companion seat, even with 9 channels on base layer.

For flat panel not being able to do Acoustic Transparent, the microled folks are playing with speaker arrays, but i would imagine you would have to be back a bit.

Even with 83 available now, dont see myself going back yet. Even the visuals from companion seat severly impacted let alone audio.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I used to sit with my toes about 2-3 inchs from 65" and was headed towards 77 oled till tried a good projector. (Was before 83 available)

Now i'm 10 foot back from ~10ft wide screen, with a 10 foot audio hemisphere (10ft cieling) Audio immersion in money spot great, but get a bit of hot spoting on the side in the companion seat, even with 9 channels on base layer.

For flat panel not being able to do Acoustic Transparent, the microled folks are playing with speaker arrays, but i would imagine you would have to be back a bit.

Even with 83 available now, dont see myself going back yet. Even the visuals from companion seat severly impacted let alone audio.
I tried sitting closer to the 83“ OLED to see if it would feel like a big projector screen but then my feet would almost touch the TV and it just didn’t feel right.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes! You will absolutely benefit. The NX5 needs light control which means no sunlight, no lights on in the room. White ceilings & floor will not impact the awesome JVC on/off contrast at all. (White walls will impact ANSI contrast, but JVC is weak in this less important area anyway). Of course the OLED look better but 77" isn't a theater. May as well hang your phone on the wall if that's the case.
This is not correct. A white ceiling WILL really hurt a projectors image. Its not just ANSI that it hurts but also color volume on screen. You won't be seeing anywhere near true p3 color on La La Land with a white ceiling. Also very very hard to calibrate a projector for white décor. White ceiling to black ceiling is a massive difference in all around picture quality. Can he at least make a 4 or 5' panel or two our from the screen??? Even that helps massively.

·
Registered
70 Posts
TV for gaming and projector for movies is best of both worlds. You can probably fool yourself by sitting closer in perfect black where your eyes don't have comparison points but in normal room you see that it's just a TV in front of you.

I don't know how much it would affect to the "theater experience" if you had a same size TV which would not have the light beam coming from the back to the screen that projector has.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
I don't know how much it would affect to the "theater experience" if you had a same size TV which would not have the light beam coming from the back to the screen that projector has.
to maintain the illusion of the theater experience, tossing out a couple handfuls of stickie candies under foot, goes a long way. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I tried sitting closer to the 83“ OLED to see if it would feel like a big projector screen but then my feet would almost touch the TV and it just didn’t feel right.
lol, yup, the only thing that "feels right" is the fringe benefit of having a nice foot warmer ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts