AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 5030UB projector and components for for my basement to replace a 73" DLP that went out and I need have some questions if you guys could lend me your expertise. I was considering the Sony VPL-HW40ES, but dont have the distance to project 120" from ~14ft away like the Epson does. For around $2000 the 5030UB seems like the clear winner for my distance.

I know I missed the $200 card, but I still get the free lamp if I buy tomorrow and I have a 10% movers coupon to apply so price is $2070+tax. So I figure its still worth it.

First, I am trying to decide between two recievers for the projector. Best Buy is discounting a VSX-80 down to $449 for me. Denon's AVR-X2100W is on sale now at Crutchfield and Amazon for $399. The $50 isn't a huge deal. I just need help picking between the two receivers.

Secondly, Can anyone recommend a good universal remote to run to run a Projector/Receiver Theater? I'll probably be using fixed screen, PS4 for DVD and Gaming and Direct TV for broadcast.

Also looking for a mount recommendation. Best buy is selling me Sanus Vp1-B13 mount for $229.

Lastly. I am going with a 120" fixed screen. Any thoughts on a STR-169120 Silver Ticket 120" on Amazon for $250 vs Elite Screens - SableFrame Series 120" for $384 on Amazon/BestBuy?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
483 Posts
a 50 dollar difference in receivers, is no difference in receivers. What I mean is, there's no help there in deciding.

With price points so close, it seems like your best bet would be to see if you can go somewhere and actually hear the units for yourself, and let THAT make your choice for you. - barring that, flip a coin LOL:D

I got a 'custom made' for my pj, a machined aircraft aluminum mount, on an awesome ball and socket swivel joint rated to support over 90lbs for only 40 bucks off ebay. I expected it was gunna be crap, but it turned out to be absolutely fantastic. Couldn't be happier with it. It came from an aircraft machine shop in texas, that's all I remember, it was quite a while ago, but I'm sure they're still selling mounts today. Just type your pj model number and then the words 'ceiling mount' into ebay. I'm sure you'll find it. If you get it, you'll love it. Plus, why spend 200 when when you can spend 40. I found out VERY fast that in the HT world, PRICE does NOT denote QUALITY. The only people that claim that, are salesmen!

For me, there is no greater -or cooler- remote than the Logitech 1100.

I use the actual wall itself for my 172" screen, so I can offer no suggestions there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Check mono price as well for screens, people seem to like theirs too. Also like Big said, get the mount from Amazon, Best Buy charges way to much for their mounts. As for the receivers, not sure, might want to check the other forums here that deal just with receivers to find out which one is better for you. I've had both Denon's and Pioneer Receivers, just bought a new X4000 for my HT, I think both would be good in the end. For the remote, I have always like the Logitech Harmony remotes, they get some bad reviews some times, but I have been a fan, they are pretty cheap, 100 bucks for a simple remote and hub and it can control most devices, although not a PS4 as it no longer has a IR Receiver, only can use the HDMI-CEC feature. So might be out of luck there.

·
Registered
21,053 Posts
I am buying a 5030UB projector and components for for my basement to replace a 73" DLP that went out and I need have some questions if you guys could lend me your expertise. I was considering the Sony VPL-HW40ES, but dont have the distance to project 120" from ~14ft away like the Epson does. For around $2000 the 5030UB seems like the clear winner for my distance.

I know I missed the $200 card, but I still get the free lamp if I buy tomorrow and I have a 10% movers coupon to apply so price is $2070+tax. So I figure its still worth it.

First, I am trying to decide between two recievers for the projector. Best Buy is discounting a VSX-80 down to $449 for me. Denon's AVR-X2100W is on sale now at Crutchfield and Amazon for $399. The $50 isn't a huge deal. I just need help picking between the two receivers.

Secondly, Can anyone recommend a good universal remote to run to run a Projector/Receiver Theater? I'll probably be using fixed screen, PS4 for DVD and Gaming and Direct TV for broadcast.

Also looking for a mount recommendation. Best buy is selling me Sanus Vp1-B13 mount for $229.

Lastly. I am going with a 120" fixed screen. Any thoughts on a STR-169120 Silver Ticket 120" on Amazon for $250 vs Elite Screens - SableFrame Series 120" for $384 on Amazon/BestBuy?

Thanks in advance!
We ( AV Science ) have the X2100 for the same price - don't forget to call or email us for a quote on home theater items ! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts