AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to go with a big screen. i don't want to go too big. i know with the bigger screen i will need a higher gain. i was thinking a carada in the 120" range will this be ok or is the sweet spot for this projector in the 110 and under. thanks so much.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Projector Centrals calculator gives, after calibrations, FL for each projector. It should get you close. In my case I'm redoing my screen for 130" 2.35, and the only pj that looks like it will come even close to lighting it (pj is at long end of the throw range), is the 1080UB.

·
Registered
542 Posts
My AE2000 is 19.5 feet away from a 118" Carada Brilliant White screen. It's plenty bright in either Eco-mode or Normal light setting in the dark. I have a dedicated HT room, so I don't use it with ambiant light.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It probably depends on the settings you intend to use. I'm lighting a 142" (Carada BW) screen with an AE900 (135 watt lamp versus 165 watt in AE2000), and at "normal" presets the image is fine. I ran it on econ for ~2100 hours and have run the lamp on normal since then (now at ~2900 hours). Part of me is hoping that lamp will die so I can pull the trigger on an AE2000, but the dang thing just keeps giving me a great image.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
My AE1000 is 14' back on a 133" screen and it’s still flawless. On the PS3 with the new background to music (Earth spinning around), the parts where it has the sun in the background almost blind me since the suns so bright. Just gotta make sure you can maintain a pretty dark room. Only time mine gets white out is when I turn the 4 can lights on right in front of the screen (within feet). I can keep the 4 can lights on the other side of the room on without a problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I use the 2000 on a 10' wide 2.35:1 1.3 gain screen with anamorphic lens. My room is pretty dark. I find the brightness adequate in Cinema 1 mode. Normal mode is very bright. I don't think you'll have a problem if you have decent light control and reasonable control of the reflected light in the room, which you ought to have anyway. Otherwise, more light will just result in other issues.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My setup: Approx. 18' back (shelf mounted) onto a 120" Wilsonart Designer White homemade screen. Gives a perfectly acceptable bright image (darkened room, dark walls, dark ceiling, no light on in room at all) and that's using the "Color 1" setting in economy mode. I love this projector!

·
Registered
652 Posts
18ft back on a HP 159" and it's awesome!!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
I would hope it would be bright on an HP. There's a huge difference in FL between that and a 1.1 gain SMX screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts