AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased the AE100 and I'm waiting on its arrival. I called a local HT store inquiring about used screens. The did not have the size I wanted used but they have 120" 4x3 (69hx92w) Video Spectra 1.5 screen material for $100. I'm quite handy and I need a pull down screen given my setup. So I want to make the material into a pull down screen.

After all that finally my question...

How will the Video Spectra 1.5 material look with the AE100?

Thanks in advance, the members of AVS make this a wonderful community!!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It should be fine with great colors and brightness. Downside is your contrast will suffer slightly due to higher gain white screen. Screendoor may be more apparent with higher gain screen as it highlights the pixel gaps (defocusing or sitting further may help--depixelizer lens may not be cost effective). Optical filter will help too to correct the green push, deepens the blacks, and slightly decrease screendoor. Gray screen should be better for contrast but colors and brightness may be muted slightly.

$100 seem reasonable for screen material but I'll be curious how you would make a pull-down yourself without creating wrinkles, waves, and such. Most use for screen material is stretched over wooden frame and stapled on back. You can drop the screen from ceiling on hinges if you decide to go with a rigid, flat screen. Dalite Model B 72"X96" (only 1" black side border and no top or bottom borders) is only $150 shipped from www.francisav.com if you decide to buy a retail pull-down.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the AE100 with DaLite V. Spectra and can pretty much validate what Huey says. You can get a good deal on a complete pull down screen for a few bucks over $100. PM me on where I got mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just hung my Dalite Model B 69X92 Video Spectra screen which I got for about $170 delivered! I have the Panny 75U and I very much like the combination. I was using the Parkland Plastics screen before but I like the added gain of the VS screen.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
W:cool:W did I get lucky today or what...

But what exactly is it?

Ok I went to the Local HT store that I mentioned above about the fabric. Well we went into the warehouse and low and behold he had 2 da-lite motorized tension screens brand new but without the motors. I got both of them for $50 he said the customer never picked them up, the dates on them were from 3/99 & 11/01

The one is supposed to be a Video Spectra 1.5 92" 4x3, the part number is 80310-FAB&RIRCV

The other is an 84" part number 81296C 84x84CV

I'm unable to locate the exact part numbers on Da-Lite's web site or by searching on google.

The motors from what I've found seem to be about $400

So I'm gonna make my own motor assembly. I want to look at a grill rotisserie motor tomorrow, seems like the speed should be about right since it has a gear reduction.

I'll post some pictures after I'm done if anyone is interested.

PS, my AE100 has touched down in the US at 7:06pm today, hopefully they'll deliver tomorrow :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put up the 120" 4x3 screen(92" Wide) ceiling mounted the AE100. Picture is great.

But...

The screen seems to have a wrinkle in it? If I rub my fingers on the screen I do not feel anything, but on bright scenes I can see marks on the screen.

Maybe it is just dirty? What is the best way to clean the screen? Will a soft cloth and water be ok on the screen. Thanks in advance I don't want to ruin the screen.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Manual pull-down (Model B) can have minor waves (visible on slow pans) near the top of the screen right before it enters the case. Not much you can do besides cuttting if off and make it a fixed screen by building your own wooden frame, stretching the material, and stapling it to back of frame. Tensioning the bottom rod's 2 ends with bungie cords help some.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply, tensioning the screen might do the trick, but the screen is a Da-Lite Director Electrol Tensioned screen. Since it is a tensioned screen I don't think it will streatch.

What is the best way to clean the screen?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
you have a pm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.